Recommendations? Burnt River?

Locnar

My pops has asked me to take him out for a day of fishing on a river somewhere. I'm thinking somewhere between 1-2 hr drive from Whitby. I was thinking about the Burnt River, I've heard good things about it. Is there any quiet, fairly easily accessible shore fishing locations along it? I don't really want to be stuck between two cottages or something, I'd like to be able to hike around along the banks and find some decent spots.

Also, any ideas on what kind of fish I could expect to catch from shore in the Burnt? I've heard muskies, bass and walleye all cruise the waters...

Any other recommendations in the area?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There is a decent area to fish from shore right off the 121 on 44 (second access rd). If you hit the 1st access rd by mistake then go to the stop sign and hang a right back towards 121. You are right with the fish in the river. More likely for bass and musky (small ones)

Right on, looking at the maps, it's the northern 44/121 intersection? Looks like there's a dirt parking lot on the south side, is that the one you speak of? Is there much space to hike around before hitting private property? Thanks again man

That's the spot. There is a decent amount of space there. LOTS of the area is all farm land and a few cottages at the other entrance. Worst case you can also cast off the boat ramp dock at the base of Hillside Dr for bass at the lake right there. My folks live there and that's why I know it so well... I'll be there at the lake with my kids Sat and Sun.

I've only ever fished the Burnt River once back in 2007. My uncle has a cottage along the river. It's very stained. Apparently the river got its name from the colour it turned when a large forest fire swept through the region.

I would love to fish it again in the future with my canoe. I was told that in the past, the river was used to transport logs to a sawmill downstream. I lost a ton of jigs and hooks to snags - Bring lots.LOL

Hey guys, thanks for the input. We had no boat or canoe, only landed a few small smallmouths and some bluegills. I thought I saw a pickered swing and miss at my lure. Some older guys on a boat caught a smaller muskie about 100ft from us, lucky barstards lol. Seems like a good river to have a small boat to troll with... seemed quite deep.

Edited by Locnar

What time were you there? I drove by at noon on Sat to see if I could see you but I didn't see anyone fishing. The only people (2 cars were there) was two guys in a car with a small boat. Did you check out the ramp of the lake by chance? I had seen someone cashing off the dock there Sat around 2 or 3 pm. If I wasn't having boat problems I was going to log on to the site and PM you for a trip on the lake.

We headed down to the other bridge for a bit, and then headed our way to mitchell lake. No luck at either, saw a couple pike sunning themselves but weren't interested. The guys in the little boat were probably the guys who caught the muskie

I used to have a place on the Burnt River system above 3 brothers falls.. lots of small muskies and smallmouth below the falls.. we did quite a bit of snorkeling and you wouldn't believe how many big logs are still on the bottom of the river..