thinking of starting to hunt

GBW

I tried but never got into it. The boys and I had a remote camp we went to on the Ottawa years back Fishing until hunting season. I went out with them as a shadow for a morning goose hunt. Laying on my back in a cold damp frozen corn field with stalks jammed up my kiester in the dark waiting for daylight is not what I call fun. As soon as it was daylight I heard boom, boom, boom and before I could get to my feet it was over. So I went along for a Deer hunt, with my knees it was a bust too. I did learn that Blue Jays are Forest Rats as in they warn every other animal you are there. I'll stick to fishing. Shooting, that I like, I still get to the gun club for some trap skeet when invited and that I enjoy.

Good luck to you. I hear it's fun.

I want to thank you all for the comments and please keep them coming.

As for my ex, we talk and I help her when in need and pay more than I have to in child support but she would NEVER help me out if I said something like "can you drop the kids off here as I work till 9pm?". She would say come get them the next day in the AM then... It's only 65KM away so... LOL!

Even if I can study online and get a book used and save cash I'm all for it! I have my buddies and family who will help me with my Q&A

There is the option of studying yourself and just taking the test

The PAL test is pretty easy but I'm not sure about what's involved in the hunting nowadays

they have done away with the challenge you must now sit the course

Is that $300 for 2 people? If you get a hunter safety book from someone I think you can save a bit of money as well, maybe 20-30 dollars?

$300 each but we shared the books so it was $585 total. Some people charge $500 around here per person for both courses combined so it's a pretty good deal.

As for being out there early in the morning, I've done it for fishing and I'm always up early so that shouldn't be a problem. I just love being outdoors. There's more to a hunt than the actual hunt itself.

I can't believe how these courses have turned into a business and the fees charged :wallbash:. I did the Hunter Ed courses back in the 70's, for members and kids of the local OFAH affiliated Hunters and Anglers Club for the cost of the handbook and materials and used the clubhouse for the course.

I don't mind spending paying for courses and licences as long as the money is being put back into wildlife management. Having a 6 hour course specifically for turkeys is a bit much though. How much turkey specific knowledge do you need? Charge extra for a turkey licence, fine, but another course just for that?

I don't mind spending paying for courses and licences as long as the money is being put back into wildlife management. Having a 6 hour course specifically for turkeys is a bit much though. How much turkey specific knowledge do you need? Charge extra for a turkey licence, fine, but another course just for that?

Too bad it don't work that way, I got my Handbooks and Tests from the MNR, could have actually been the Dept of Lands and Forests back then :canadian: , I was free to charge the going rate with nothing going to them. I assume the PAL course is the same, about '96 I got a letter from the Attorney General, Ministry of Justice asking me if I wanted to get dual certification, I assume all Hunter Ed guys got the letter and the MNR gave our names to the Ministry of Justice as possible candidates to teach the PAL course. I really doubt the office of the Attorney General gives any money to wildlife management. The OFAH club that I gave the course for did raise pheasants from day old chicks for years and release them in the fall, not many small local clubs like that anymore.

Edited by dave524

Does anybody know what exactly they dive into with the background check? Is it only a criminal check unless there's a ex involved?

they will also want to check on medical records to do with

depression ptsd and other things that have involved care and/or drugs you took/take

i have ptsd and due to my medication i am not able to get my pal

but i did take the hunter course in my late 40's and now hunt with my crossbow

i do still have a hunters course book and would be willing to give it to anyone who wants it

this form tells you exactly what the ask

www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5592-eng.pdf
Edited by hunteronwheels

I thank you all for the info! But from the looks of it, I'm going to have to wait a bit longer. I just don't have the funds and I'm sure I will not be ready in time for this season. If I come up with the cash then I'll take it over the winter (if offered).

Feel free to keep this going for others wondering too!