Oh, its that time of the year again!

slidehammer

Is that salsa or canned tomatoes?

We've been freezing basil, raspeberries and beans so far. Potatoes are kicking butt too.

I picked my first 'ripe' tomato this morning, but most of them are still very green

Edited by Rod Caster

Reminds me of being a kid. Took the 59 Chevy wagon to Simcoe and picked bushels of plum tomatoes until the car was full and the 4 of us sat in the front seat. Then again the next day or until the garage was full of bushel baskets of tomatoes. Then the fun started. I hated tomato sauce then. What I would give for one of those jars today.

Was going to start a "what are you growing " thread but thought it might bend to the Illegal growing (as of right now, outside of medical use) of a natural plant so I didn't. But I am going to use your post to maybe get things going. I'm growing out a few chilly pepper plants, many are a first this year. I grow really only enough for me as I don't have a yard or balcony to grow, so I tend to limit myself. 12 species this year ranging from mild heat to super hot .

Grow list is, Aji Limon , Bahamian Goat, White Habanero, Moruga Scorpion, CGN 21500, 7 Pot Brain Strain, Ghost Carbon, Chocolate Bhutlah, Peruvian Serrano , Jay's Peach Ghost, Carolina Reaper & a mystery pepper, I germinate a few seeds unlabeled, first to sprout grows out.

Have had a few harvests so far but we've had a killer hot summer & where I grow out my plants, too hot, to the point 1/2 dropped their flowers due to the heat....until the last few weeks & now a explosion of flowers, so it will be a great year if they ripen in time.

001_zpsgmsij5f0.jpg

Bahamian Goat- Tried my first pod this evening & am hooked. What a amazing pepper, great citrus flavor & heat similar to Scotch Bonnet if not greater. Really looking forward to the mash with these. Nice amount of oil inside, placenta has good amount of seeds. Great presentation pepper, brilliant colour ranging from orange to yellow to peach depending on light, frosted white inner with a amazing virgin olive oil green oil inside

002_zpsqtc7ermg.jpg

This is the CGN 21500, still classified as a wild peeper. Not as hot as the Goat but still packs a wallop. Decent placenta with a lot less seeds than the Goat, extremely thick walled pepper for a c.chinense, not entirely sure if I picked them too early, pictures vary greatly as for the ripe stage & growing region. Decent amount of oil & this pepper really reminded me of Sprite in taste after the heat passed. The burn lasted fairly short, maybe 5 min total but flavor lingered a long time afterward.

005_zpspaupndio.jpg

This is a Ghost Carbon, not dumb enough to try this pod by itself, up near a million scoville I'll wait for the mash. A very prolific pod producer, must have near 1000g of pods from this plant so far. Ghosts (fairly generic term for this type of pepper) are my #1 go to for flavor & heat

006_zpsywtafi04.jpg

7 Pot Brain strain, not as crinkled as other grows but should still pack serious heat. Fairly bitter to my tastes, but the burn is undeniably insane . On my best growing year with these, saw the oil eat through a pair of Nitrile gloves, so I use extreme caution with these bad boys.

008_zpsji7tpr5s.jpg

Pictures don't do these guys justice Jay's Peach Ghost. These 2 are quite small compared to the ones ripening now, insane amount of bumps & crinkles/crevasses. Never had these guy's before but everyone seems to rave about the taste & searing heat, Looking forward to smoking half the batch for the mash, think it will be stellar.

Edited by ckewley

Was going to start a "what are you growing " thread but thought it might bend to the Illegal growing (as of right now, outside of medical use) of a natural plant so I didn't. But I am going to use your post to maybe get things going. I'm growing out a few chilly pepper plants, many are a first this year. I grow really only enough for me as I don't have a yard or balcony to grow, so I tend to limit myself. 12 species this year ranging from mild heat to super hot .

Grow list is, Aji Limon , Bahamian Goat, White Habanero, Moruga Scorpion, CGN 21500, 7 Pot Brain Strain, Ghost Carbon, Chocolate Bhutlah, Peruvian Serrano , Jay's Peach Ghost, Carolina Reaper & a mystery pepper, I germinate a few seeds unlabeled, first to sprout grows out.

Have had a few harvests so far but we've had a killer hot summer & where I grow out my plants, too hot, to the point 1/2 dropped their flowers due to the heat....until the last few weeks & now a explosion of flowers, so it will be a great year if they ripen in time.

001_zpsgmsij5f0.jpg

Bahamian Goat- Tried my first pod this evening & am hooked. What a amazing pepper, great citrus flavor & heat similar to Scotch Bonnet if not greater. Really looking forward to the mash with these. Nice amount of oil inside, placenta has good amount of seeds. Great presentation pepper, brilliant colour ranging from orange to yellow to peach depending on light, frosted white inner with a amazing virgin olive oil green oil inside

002_zpsqtc7ermg.jpg

This is the CGN 21500, still classified as a wild peeper. Not as hot as the Goat but still packs a wallop. Decent placenta with a lot less seeds than the Goat, extremely thick walled pepper for a c.chinense, not entirely sure if I picked them too early, pictures vary greatly as for the ripe stage & growing region. Decent amount of oil & this pepper really reminded me of Sprite in taste after the heat passed. The burn lasted fairly short, maybe 5 min total but flavor lingered a long time afterward.

005_zpspaupndio.jpg

This is a Ghost Carbon, not dumb enough to try this pod by itself, up near a million scoville I'll wait for the mash. A very prolific pod producer, must have near 1000g of pods from this plant so far. Ghosts (fairly generic term for this type of pepper) are my #1 go to for flavor & heat

006_zpsywtafi04.jpg

7 Pot Brain strain, not as crinkled as other grows but should still pack serious heat. Fairly bitter to my tastes, but the burn is undeniably insane . On my best growing year with these, saw the oil eat through a pair of Nitrile gloves, so I use extreme caution with these bad boys.

008_zpsji7tpr5s.jpg

Pictures don't do these guys justice Jay's Peach Ghost. These 2 are quite small compared to the ones ripening now, insane amount of bumps & crinkles/crevasses. Never had these guy's before but everyone seems to rave about the taste & searing heat, Looking forward to smoking half the batch for the mash, think it will be stellar.

Wicked!

I hate to ask, but was it you that was kind enough to send me seeds?

You like pepper ckewly?

I have never been able to have a garden here, pesky rabbits and wind that blows the flowers off the plants. I bought a tomato cage this year so I could move it around. Turns out they were a strain of cherry tomatoes. I picked all 14 of them and made a small salad, they were good. At the price I paid for the plant and the miracle grow and water it only worked out to a buck a tomato. I would have had more but every time I walked by I popped one in my yap. The only thing I miss from the city is my huge garden. I planted 64 tomato plants of several varieties of heirloom and my favorite Beefsteak. My basil was 3 feet high. Radicchio and sweet peppers. Romaine, a few fences of sweet peas, radishes the size of apples and sweet winter lettuce. Nothing like fresh veg from a garden. I would come home from night shift and graze. Then make a salad for TL's lunch eat it make another and sleep like a baby. That was before water meters, I would turn the water on at 6pm and shut it off at 7AM for the few night shifts a week. What a difference water makes, never knew what Miracle Grow was.

I forgot the shallots, French garlic and scallions the size of cooking onions. The first year was best as that patch sat for 5 years under sod that grew over it. I busted that sod for 3 days to get to black loam. A few yards of sheep poo.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

It was me Rick, hope they are growing fantastic for you. I used to rent the basement of a house years ago & had free reign over the backyard as nobody else grew anything, had some awesome heirloom tomato plants that I would love to grow out again. Awesome garlic strains, herbs out the yin yang & most importantly hot peppers, Currently I'm growing my peppers on the roof of my workplace, small patch, might throw in a tomato plant next year. Slidehammer's post has me salivating for homemade sauce

It was me Rick, hope they are growing fantastic for you. I used to rent the basement of a house years ago & had free reign over the backyard as nobody else grew anything, had some awesome heirloom tomato plants that I would love to grow out again. Awesome garlic strains, herbs out the yin yang & most importantly hot peppers, Currently I'm growing my peppers on the roof of my workplace, small patch, might throw in a tomato plant next year. Slidehammer's post has me salivating for homemade sauce

Ah forgive my memory. Cant believe I forgot it was you that sent all those awesome seeds, d'oh!

We actually didnt have room for them in our new place, but dont fret!

We made a system of shelving type units to grow them on the side of my dads garage. Made sense also because he loves peppers as much as I and was already growing a few strains.

Similar issues here. Too hot. But ive got a good amount to survive on and it looks much better weatherwise now.

Im actually heading in to town today, ill try to remember to take some pics

These are nasty nasty peppers bro, nasty!!!!