Olympic Gold for our 16 year old

Old Ironmaker

16 year young Penny Oleksiak wins Olympic Gold for us in the 100 meter freestyle at the Rio pool tonight. And Gold was awarded to the US swimmer Simone Manual as well. A unheard of tie. And the first ever medal awarded to an African American swimmer. That makes 4 medals for Penny I think, Gold, Silver and 2 Bronze. I don't follow woman's swimming but if I'm not mistaken this is HUGE for our country. We aren't known to be a swimming powerhouse in the world. Our water is usually frozen.

Michael Phelps just won another Gold in the 200 medley, his 4th in this event in his career, 22 total now for his Gold medals, and 30 minutes latter he swam to a silver. If he had an hour he would have had #23.

In the 200 he was actually out if the water resting on the float line before the Bronze medalist touched the wall, 2 seconds behind.

He and his wife just had a baby a few weeks ago. The Dr. said to Mom and Dad the baby was perfect, 10 fingers and 10 toes, all webbed.

Congrats to Fiji on their Gold metal in 7 mens Rugby. Fiji's first ever medal in the Olympic games. I have no clue what the rules are anymore, it's been 43 years since HS Rugby. What I can't believe the total game is 15 minutes long. 2 @ 7 minute halves. Then they add about a minute and a half at the end of the game. The announcers were commenting that the attendance to the matches were poor. Why would anyone attend a game where you would miss half if you needed a wiz? What I do know if you played American Football for 7 minutes straight some one is going to die, and that's with equipment on. I knew a few guys that played for the Hamilton Hornets, they were nuts. Playing full contact football without a helmet is a sure way to get a bed in a brain injury facility. Those guys are tough buggers. I have always said for years they are much tougher than Football players. I think the average we played on any given play was 5 seconds if I recall.

Can someone with Rugby knowledge chime in about the length of play, or lack of it. It's the antithesis of Baseball.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Can someone with Rugby knowledge chime in about the length of play, or lack of it. It's the antithesis of Baseball.

I don't know about Rugby, but I've heard it stated that a NFL Football game is actually less than 10 minutes long if you only count the time the ball is actually in play.

Congrats to Penny :clapping:

That sounds about right Dave. But for some positions that would be like getting hit by a small car over and over for 10 minutes. Not all positions though, that is why certain positions aren't considered to be real ball players. Kickers and Prima Donna receivers that never go over the middle. Some safeties are not respected much either. It's the cheap shot artist spot. New rules on contact on a defenceless player has stopped most of that now. Those are 3 positions guys don't usually get invited to BBQ's.

Its rugby sevens they are playing. Its very popular particularly in the South Pacific countries. No surprise Fiji won it. If you type in rugby sevens in wiki, it has a great page with all the history of it.