Trolling Musky Lures, getting caught in weeds

Tjames09

Just wondering if you guys have any tips with trolling musky lures and not getting them stuck in the weeds. I have a Rapala super shad and its running depth is 5-9 feet, but I find trolling Sturgeon channel the lure works really well, but it gets bogged down with weeds really fast.

That's not a surprise. That channel is shallow and trolling a lure with a couple of trebles on it is like pulling a rake thru there if you are more than two or three feet deep or venture off to the side. I would recommend trolling a spinnerbait or a double 8 bucktail. Rides higher, more weeds slip by, less aggravation, still catches fish.

One solution is to use a three or four foot leader and attach a treble with the barbs cut off, at the end tied to your mainline. The treble will catch the weeds before they foul the lure.

You still need to check the lure often though, and Andy has stated, the use of spinner baits or bucktails in heavy weeds is better than body baits.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

get a BIG musky spinnerbait....you will not find this just at any tackle shop. It should cost you close to $30 and be a heavy son of a gun. Toss er back 25 feet with the boat going 6 mph. That'll do it. If it doesn't...you aren't going 6 mph. One more tip...you will want rod holders!

Good point Chris...The lead between the treble weed catcher and the lure needs to be longer than the length of the weeds, per se.

In really heavy weed edges, this method may keep the lure free of weeds and with an active wobble, for perhaps 10 or 15 minutes before you need to check and clear weeds from the treble. Most often that is the only location for weeds though and the lure will remain clean. Another good reason for running short leads on weed edges, it makes it easier and quicker to check your lure. Quite often you can see your lure and how it is running before you need to bring it in to check it.

This is most effective for safety pin type spinner baits IE: Grinders, Grim Reapers, Handlebarz Eggs etc. etc. trolled a short distance back so they are only 1 or 2 feet below the surface. Body baits that dive to 3 feet or more get run in the prop wash on a short leash depending on the dive curve of the lure.

get a BIG musky spinnerbait....you will not find this just at any tackle shop. It should cost you close to $30 and be a heavy son of a gun. Toss er back 25 feet with the boat going 6 mph. That'll do it. If it doesn't...you aren't going 6 mph. One more tip...you will want rod holders!

Inline spinner or safety pin spinner. Any recommendations on style/color/size?

Safety pin spinner baits will come through the weeds better than an inline.

The ones I mentioned are all readily available at most good tackle shops. If you can get your hands on a Videkie, Beaver Lure or River Rat do it. These baits are mostly custom made in the larger sizes and come up to 6 or 8 ounces.

Colours would be red and black body with gold blades, silver blades or a combination of both. Either willow leaf or Colorado, or combination of both.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

I've heard of guys trolling jerkbaits like sledges as well...

They wobble pretty nice and won't dive very deep

Don't be afraid to run a regular bait close up... Some guys fish as close as 5-6 feet back

Shortest line I've ever caught on is 20' back which is really close when your think that's only a boatlength

Big spinnerbaits - 2-2.5oz spinnerbait like the Northland Booty Call or Lindy M&G - troll ideally at 3.5-4mph

For crankbaits - Shallow Invaders run only a few feet down, have great action and rattle and catch plenty of fish - try 3.5 to 4.5mph

And yes trolling regular baits on a short line works well also

You Musky hunters sure work for them, I have to give you that. The only real Musky trip I had was with Dannny Columby on Nipissing and I really enjoyed the trolling compared to tossing those Double D's I think they were. Like casting bricks. Good on you guys. Hammer em Boys and Girls, you've earned it.

I need to go for them again asap. Planning a fall trip to Lake St. Clair. Not many trophy critters but to me that doesn't matter. There is nothing like hooking a Musky in my books. As close to Saltwater fishing you can get. I'll be trolling.

I should start a new thread asking if my largest Walleye plugs work there with downrigger rods?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yeah, good ones!! And it would be a good idea to have the safety ring and wire clip to the boat for the rod too. Nothing worse than seeing the whole kit and kaboodle going out of the boat.

Kerry