Texting and talking while driving - Solution? NF

Headhunter

Very interesting thread.

Before cell phones if we wanted to call someone, we had to stop at a phone booth. Following the law, if we want to call or text, we're suppose to stop to do so. My solution would be that all vehicles have a blocking device; that if the vehicle is in drive, there is no cell communications. Any in coming text or call, the blocking device would put out some form of chime alerting you; pull over and see what it about. With the electronics in today's vehicles; it wouldn't be very hard to do and at a minimal cost. Older vehicles would be grandfathered, until they were sold and as part of the safety inspection the blocking device would need to be installed to pass the inspection.

If the device was found to be tampered with; the police would pull the plates off the vehicle; as they can do now with an unsafe vehicle.

It would also be very easy for the police to check. On a routine stop ask the occupants for a cell number; if the call goes through, you just lost the plates and you're going home in a tow truck and the vehicle to a garage to be safety checked.

Dan.

I back this. I think its the most logical, effective solution.

Interesting point HH on the populations/areas. I dont think that was previously brought up?

Im rural so I could be just like Ernie and never get caught(or at least its highly unlikely I would). Also I love Ernies honesty

There are laws against distracted driving now, same as there are laws against murder.

People still do it...you will never stop it all...I would be very afraid of a government intent on eradicating all crime

Of course! Last thing I want is nore laws.

And I mention that numerous times throughout the thread.

Txting and driving is unique in that there is a cheap and effective way to stop it almost completely.

Murder/rape/drinking and driving etc dont have the possibility to be ended like this

Of course! Last thing I want is nore laws.

And I mention that numerous times throughout the thread.

Txting and driving is unique in that there is a cheap and effective way to stop it almost completely.

Murder/rape/drinking and driving etc dont have the possibility to be ended like this

Sure they do MB, they can choose not to use their phones while behind the wheel! Once they have made a choice, they must be prepared to deal with the consequences. Unfortunately, those consequences can end very badly for innocents.

I still think that if you are caught, confiscation of the phone is the best answer. Escalating levels of confiscation based on repeat offenders should also be considered.

HH

Sure they do MB, they can choose not to use their phones while behind the wheel! Once they have made a choice, they must be prepared to deal with the consequences. Unfortunately, those consequences can end very badly for innocents.

I still think that if you are caught, confiscation of the phone is the best answer. Escalating levels of confiscation based on repeat offenders should also be considered.

HH

So they take my phone and I just go buy a new one???

Doesnt seem effective at all.

Also, if im pulled over, into the glove box its goes.

Sorry officer youll need a warrant for that.

Sure, go spend $600 on a new iphone to replace the one confiscated. Then drop what ever at the app store and on your way home, don't forget to pay the $400 fine as well.

That's a $1000+phone call/text that you just made/received!

I also have to wonder what an employer would say, should the phone being confiscated be a company phone.

As far as a warrant is concerned, is that call/text really worth the court time and legal fees incurred to fight it?

Driving is a privilege. Folks have to remember that!

HH

You dont need a lawyer to fight a ticket.

And yes, I would put my phone in the glovebox and tell said officer to get a warrant.

Its a waste of the judges time and isnt gonna happen.

And id use a cheap ready to go if I was doing this. Not an iphone or a samsung etc.

Just playing devils advocate here.

Some laws are incredibly easy to skirt around.

Edited by manitoubass2

There are laws against distracted driving now, same as there are laws against murder.

People still do it...you will never stop it all...I would be very afraid of a government intent on eradicating all crime

Hey! Something we agree upon! ?

It is impossible to legislate the stupidity out of mankind.

First offence 30 day suspension people will get the idea real quick and by the time it gets to court your 30 days will be up and you can try again

I like it.....but you forgot maybe 4 demerit points...