Newb carp boilies and hair rigs

xrap

I tried making boilies and hair rigs today and afer I made the boilies I tried and put the loop of the hair rig threw the hole and has a having a bit of the problem. I could see the hole perfect but the line didn't wana go threw. After struggling with it for 30 mintues I finally put it threw. So when i'll be fishing with this in the future is thier any easier ways of getting this loop threw the hole. And I also tried to stick the toothpick on it and guide it threw but it jsut fell off. Any tips?

Here's a pic of it lol

boile.jpg

You can pick up baiting needles from shops like Angling Specialties, Fishing World, FishOnlineCanada and tightlines for a few bucks.

Alternatively, you can pick up crochet needles for knitting and use those to thread bait onto the hair...Straightened out bass hooks also work

Good job on the boilie and hair rig! To secure it on the hair, bly and I use elastic bands. We just thread it through and tie one knot....then trim the elastic band. We have a bag of about 500 elastic bands, so we were too cheap to get the tubing that you can buy....LOL

No place to buy baiting needles up this way so I just straighten out a medium size jig with the thinnest wire hook I can find...push it through the boilie then pick up the loop in the hair rig with the barb of the jig and pull it back through the boilie and use (whatever) for a stopper...I find the strips of barbell stoppers work well...put one in place...push it down tight to the boilie...then snip it off with tiny scissors

I like to add a couple of kernels of maize with the boilie but not sure if they are necessary... :dunno:

I hope the carp like your homemade boilies...let us know

Edited by Beans

Get your hands dirty and eventually you will be good at it. I only tried it once in the off season (had to find something carp-related to do to keep me sane).

This was my first try of making boilies,

gallery_177_161_19835.jpg

And this is the first fish caught on them,

gallery_177_161_63669.jpg

After a few times you'll figure out the secret of boilie making ----- it's much easier to buy :D

Those look a lot like Timbits?? Did YOU try a 'taste-test?'

Steve, I could've spent more time make them perfectly round. But I don't think that's necessary unless you want to get the extra distance (i.e. make them more aerodynamic). Plus, my 4 years old and 7 years old were tricked to help me roll that batch. Can't really complain ;-)

I didn't try a "taste-test", that carp did ;-)

Some people actually make SQUARE boilies. They make bricks out of the dough and boil them (or microwave them if they try to make floating ones) that way. And then cut them into cubes of desired size while it's still hard and soft. And these square ones work very well too.

I'll try make more when the weather is bad and I can't go out or in the off season. For now, I'll just buy them made by people who know what they are doing and do some post flavouring if I want to.

Hey everyone thanks for all the great tips. Just have one more question. I tried to put corn on last night and I put all the corn on after the loop. Just wondering if corn should go on the loop as well ?

Gave them a try on the weekend and didn't end up getting any carp but caught a bunch of bullhead. The carp were jumping everywhere though. There was 1 mintue were the water was calm. I guess it's still a little early for carp. Anyone know how long they spawn?