Need a new Spinning reel...

addy79

So Canuck, was the Pflueger able to handle that monster in your avatar with little trouble??!??

Oh it was a tough go with that fella.... what he lacked in size and strength he made up with cunning and determination. In all seriousness though on the Pflueger I landed about 22 salmon and rainbow, one carp about 15lbs, many many bass, perch and of course let us not over look a ton of the worlds greatest sport fish the mighty rock bass (at least 20 which went well over 12 inches long so you can see how tough they would have been to land BBR would have been proud I think.

I was going to go for a Diawa but when I tried the pflueger I just lost all interest in the other reels. Before that I was a shimano guy too, I still collect Shimano mark reels but as for fishing it with them it is really like grinding metal retrieving them in comparison. BTW I went steelheading at least 2 times a week for about 6 hrs average from September 2nd 2006, to June 6th 2007 missing only 3 weeks when all the legal areas were frozen solid and the pflueger never let me down!!! As for maintenance I oiled twice once in October and once before opening week it is still as smooth as when I took it out of the box.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Okuma Epixor has really disappointed me. Lasted 1 week trib fishing nooks then quickly fell apart.

Shimano Symmetre has really impressed me. Fish everything big with this, including using it on the ice. Always smooth and durable too.

Quantum PTi is so far fantastic. Have an ultralight and no complaints.

Abu C3 (new reel, old design) is so far disappointing me. Any tension on the line seems to make it harder to reel. Excluding the tension of a fish tugging.

All these reels are around $100 give or take.

Okuma Epixor has really disappointed me. Lasted 1 week trib fishing nooks then quickly fell apart.

I had the same experience with Okuma Epixor, a couple of trips to the tribs, a few bows and the reel sounds like a coffee grinder, sent it for warranty repairs, came back ok, first outing and the grinding sound is back, :rolleyes: paid $100 for it and very disappointed.

have a 12 year old Daiwa Regal, and I have caught everything including big 20+ lbs salmon on it, still as smooth as the day I bought it.

I think BassPro still has the Shimano Stradics on for about $125 (the 2500 size). Otherwise, a Quantum, Daiwa, Shimano Sahara (I've got 2) are all good. Once you get to that price point, most of the reels are reely (pardon the pun) good. You should get many years of faithful service out of it.