Any crappie in North Pigeon.

captpierre

Try throwing float/ white panfish tube jig along very north shoreline from Hurricane Pt. towards Bald lakes.

Right along north shoreline is little shallow mud bottom fingers 2-5 ft. of water. Now is good time for searching by flipping float along shore.

Thanks. I'll give it a try in about 10 days when I'm up again.

That is a good weekend. I remember in past these late April/early May weekends as feasts of Crappie, morels and fiddleheads. Gourmet wild harvest.Yum,Yum.

So I understand the jig for crappie should be just under the float. 6-12 inches.

Does the same apply to spring gills?

I'm thinking a little lower.

What about dropshotting?

Or casting mini cranks.

Depends on water depth. I fish both species the same depth wise....usually about half the water depth. 3 FOW I fish 18 inches under the float...5 FOW I fish 30 inches under the float etc etc.However if I'm specifically targeting gills I don't use plastics I just put about a 1/4-1/2 inch chunk of worm on a bare 1/32 OZ jighead. I mostly use unpainted jigheads only because that's what I have. Gills don't seem to care about jighead color. I use worms for 2 reasons. One... gills definitely go after worms more...they seem to like having meat. If you are using plastics the gills will hit them for awhile and then stop if you don't move. They seem to get used to the plastic and stop hitting it. They will not stop if you are using worms. Reason #2.... gills tend to tear plastics up. You will go through way more plastics fishing gills then crappie. I just find it very annoying having a gill pull the tail off a new plastic body on the FIRST CAST. Happens all the time. My routine for gills is I take 3 whole dew worms when I go out for them. I never need more. Even if you are getting bit every cast 3 worms will last 2-3 hours. A dozen worms in the fridge last me 4 weekends at the cottage.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Depends on water depth. I fish both species the same depth wise....usually about half the water depth. 3 FOW I fish 18 inches under the float...5 FOW I fish 30 inches under the float etc etc.However if I'm specifically targeting gills I don't use plastics I just put about a 1/4-1/2 inch chunk of worm on a bare 1/32 OZ jighead. I mostly use unpainted jigheads only because that's what I have. Gills don't seem to care about jighead color. I use worms for 2 reasons. One... gills definitely go after worms more...they seem to like having meat. If you are using plastics the gills will hit them for awhile and then stop if you don't move. They seem to get used to the plastic and stop hitting it. They will not stop if you are using worms. Reason #2.... gills tend to tear plastics up. You will go through way more plastics fishing gills then crappie. I just find it very annoying having a gill pull the tail off a new plastic body on the FIRST CAST. Happens all the time. My routine for gills is I take 3 whole dew worms when I go out for them. I never need more. Even if you are getting bit every cast 3 worms will last 2-3 hours. A dozen worms in the fridge last me 4 weekends at the cottage.

Thanks for this. And taking the time.

Will gettum.

If I'm fishing an area with crappies and gills I always start with plastic. I let the fish dictate how my day will turn out. If I start getting bigger gills the plastic comes off the jighead and a chunk of worm goes on. In all the years I have fished this way I have caught maybe 3 crappie once the plastic comes off and none of these 3 incidentals where big enough to keep. My experience has always been they have no interest in worms at all. Perhaps my worm offerings are to small for them to be interested in.