Whitefish Adventure - Lots of Pics

cl_fishin

Happy and legal are two different things though.

Do I have to count canned ducks as part of my possession? What about rabbits? I am not sure.

What If I make them into pepperettes or jerky? Are they still considered to be part of my possession limits? Whats the difference with canned meats?

S.

I am interested in hearing what MNR has to say as well. I can a lot of things, and wonder if it is still considered to be in possession once its canned.

I assumed your fish were considered processed, meaning prepared to eat. It kinda hard to can fish in a way that they are easily counted, so I would love to know what they say.

S.

The issue is transport. If you process the fish for immediate consumption, ie where you are staying, you do not have to prove to a CO the species, size and numbers. If you transport jars of canned fish this is problematic.

As for your jars of fish at your house, yes they are considered to be part of your possession limit, same as fish in your freezer. In practice it would be exceptionally unlikely that a CO would inspect your freezer. But last time I looked, the only peace officers that had the power to search without a warrant were COs. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has taken that "Charter of Rights and Freedoms" challenge to a court with jurisdiction. It is basically impossible that a Charter challenge would fail, provided appeals courts would give leave to appeal. That might cost the person who was charged an enormous amount in legal fees, of course....

I'm not worried about it. I'm lucky to get my limit, never mind over it LOL

I do like to can geese, but no worries there.

Canned whities would be great I bet. I know down home we do a lot of herring and mackeral and its to die for. Salmon too.

S.

Still waiting for a reply from the MNR, could take up to 15 days they say

You may wish to get the person's name if and when they reply.................

If you do not get a reply, I have a couple people I know to whom I could direct this question. Both are area supervisors for COs in Northern Ontario.

Doug

Happy and legal are two different things though.

Do I have to count canned ducks as part of my possession? What about rabbits? I am not sure.

What If I make them into pepperettes or jerky? Are they still considered to be part of my possession limits? Whats the difference with canned meats?

S.

I wonder if Im over my limit of canned potted meat? :tease:

And I completely apologize for hijacking this thread, which was about an AMAZING whitefish smack-down, and a very interesting way to catch them. Sorry I side-tracked it. :(

Doug

NO you didnt. Good info to come out of this Doug.