Drop Shotting

Spanky80

This year after reading for years about the effectiveness of drop shotting, I've decided to rig up and give it a try. I fish a very clear lake in my area, and I know there are big smallies there, I've had limited success with the standard crankbait/tube jig approach.

Any pointers? Line, hook size/make, technique you've used with success?

Thanks!

I normally use 8-12 lb braid, then a 6-8lb flouro leader. I like those vmc swivel hooks.

Various weights for different depths. Ill ise ball sinkers in current, pencil sinkers on calm days on the lake.

Use your electonics to mark fish and play around abit with techniques or leader length.

But typically I like mine about 14-18", with the hooke about 8" up, but that depends where in the water column the fish are.

Great technique for bass, walleye and lakers, heck even crappie lol

Yip these are the hooks i was referencing

Awesome hooks

Somehow I missed that in your original post....

I can't say they're better than "regular" drop shot rigs 'cause they're the only ones I've used.

I've used them from shore for walleye with some success. They work great through the ice too.

It's been a long time since I could fish, I used 8# test Berkley Vanish if the water was real clear. Those hooks in the link are probably the way to go, I believe there are similar ones in other brands, chevy-ford thing.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mustad_KVD_Zero_Twist_Shot_Hook_5pk/descpage-KVZT.html

Hook size = bait size, I didn't like going too small with a hook.

The straight drop shot weight will probably get snagged less on a rocky bottom, or you can use the same style in a slip sinker and peg it with a rubber worm sinker peg, the line will slip out with constant pressure.

How deep of water are you trying to fish? I have caught smallies in a foot or two of water, but usually in the early spring or at night.

I use 20lb braid and tie on a rather long leader. Why 20lb? because I don't have a dedicated rod for it and it doesn't seem to affect anything. Many people are starting to drop shot with baitcast equipment but I cannot stand it. I prefer using spinning gear for this technique because of how I hold the reel. I find it much more comfortable to hold a spinning reel for long period of time than to palm a baitcaster over the same period.

I use 20lb braid and tie on a rather long leader. Why 20lb? because I don't have a dedicated rod for it and it doesn't seem to affect anything. Many people are starting to drop shot with baitcast equipment but I cannot stand it. I prefer using spinning gear for this technique because of how I hold the reel. I find it much more comfortable to hold a spinning reel for long period of time than to palm a baitcaster over the same period.

Thats a good addition! I too prefer spinning gear unless im dropshotting deep for lakers then in baitcaster all the way

Personally, though the VMC spinshot hooks can eliminate some line twist, I prefer tying hooks direct. The less knots the better IMO.

Dropshotting is versatile no doubt. Ever tried flipping docks with a dropshot? Use a 1/2 to 3/4 weigh and have your creature about 12" up. You can flip it in and LEAVE it there for as long as you like without the bait burying itself in the weeds/mud. Stays up in the strike zone like a neutral buoyancy bait.

That's a good point grimsbylander. I forgot to mention that but I used to use the VMC hooks as well but there are now better options. They are pricey but I currently use the Gamakatsu Swivel shot G-finesse hooks. With the line clip design going to the sinker and using the same line clip design drop shot weights, you only need to tie 1 knot on the hook.

As stated before, these hooks are not cheap but the stand up well. I managed to land a 4 foot sturgeon on one this year. a total incidental catch while dropshotting for smallies but it goes to show you that these hooks will handle anything a bass will throw at them.

Edited by Lape0019

I'm feeling the same way as the OP. Something I've wanted to try and never got around to. From a distance it's a technique that seems foolproof as long as you can get the depth right.

I've seen specific drop shot rods for sale too. What's special about them that wouldn't be true for a typical spincast rod?

Any recommendations on bait?

Personally, though the VMC spinshot hooks can eliminate some line twist, I prefer tying hooks direct. The less knots the better IMO.

Yeah, same here, I call my set-up 'quick and dirty'. Just put a hook a couple of feet up the line with a palomar knot, and weights on the bottom. You can use split shot, but I've gone to proper drop shot weights because if they get hung up they will just pull off without wrecking the whole rig, ditto for rubber core.

Netminder,

The big difference would more than likely be sensitivity and an extra-fast tip to feel the subtle takes. As for baits, the ones Ohio fisherman listed are the general shape of what is used up here too but really, anything can be used. Last year, I used a lot of Jackal Cross tail shads and some set the hook baits that I cannot remember the name of. Quite similar to the cross tail though.

I did go out and buy some drop shot hooks last year for Perch. Since each hook takes 2 ties I got tired of tying hooks and went back to a simple Pickerel rig set up. Besides that I got out fished by my buddies on the boat when I was using the drop shot hooks. I was getting plenty of bumps but not as many hook ups. I need to snorkel next time and see what goes on. I think if a fish takes the bait on the opposite side of where the hook is facing they hit the line and scamper off. I like the hook to be free 360 degrees. Plus a live bait on a tight line won't swim around as freely. I know that's what the swivel is for but if ain't broke why spend money to fix it. Just my opinion.

Thanks for that, if nothing but directing me to tackle wearhouse where everything is nicely sorted lol. I rarely really fish the great lakes but at least I have a good idea what to look for now.

net, fish are fish, it doesn't matter if they are in the great lakes or not, if it is smaller than them? they might eat it! Just the presentation and preference may vary from day to day?

I had great days smallie fishing using small jigs and roadrunner style lures, sometimes tubes and cranks aren't what they are looking for?

started dropshotting for smallies a few years back. Deadly method when you need to slow down. Don't think that you have to only use vertically. In the Niagara river I cast it up current and let it bounce and drag along bottom. Caught some nice fish that way. Also caught fish in 3 ft. of water when I saw them right under the boat. Just dropped it down and WHAM! fish on! My buddy was thinking I was crazy drop shotting in 3ft but next thing I new he was doing it to and we were giggling as we caught one after another. A spinning outfit is perfect for it. I also bought a St.Croix drop shot rod which has a super sensitive tip so you feel even the slightest bite.Try it and have fun.

Great discussion, very helpful, thanks folks! I will probably be fishing anywhere from 10 down to 20 feet plus for smallies in this ultra-clear lake. I've also decided to give some fluorocarbon a try, Berkley Vanish. What pound test line would y'all recommend?

Great discussion, very helpful, thanks folks! I will probably be fishing anywhere from 10 down to 20 feet plus for smallies in this ultra-clear lake. I've also decided to give some fluorocarbon a try, Berkley Vanish. What pound test line would y'all recommend?

I'd go 6lb if there water is "clean". If there is logs, brush piles, zebra mussels, etc. go up to 8 or even 10 if it's real messy.

Netminder, if you are thinking about hitting Erie for some beauty Smallies drop me a PM and I will be able to get you onto some fish and where to launch from here.

If anyone does fish Erie for Smallies with live bait a live leech will out fish live minnows on any day other than fall, then it's the largest minnow you can get. Even a black twister tail grub Carolina, California, Jig and stinger rig or actually any style weight and to get the presentation down will do the trick with an artificial leech. I have used even a Pickerel rig with 2 leaches and hammered them drifting. They don't call me the Bassassin for nothin'. Go ahead laff out load.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Netminder, if you are thinking about hitting Erie for some beauty Smallies drop me a PM and I will be able to get you onto some fish and where to launch from here.

If anyone does fish Erie for Smallies with live bait a live leech will out fish live minnows on any day other than fall, then it's the largest minnow you can get. Even a black twister tail grub Carolina, California, Jig and stinger rig or actually any style weight and to get the presentation down will do the trick with an artificial leech. I have used even a Pickerel rig with 2 leaches and hammered them drifting. They don't call me the Bassassin for nothin'. Go ahead laff out load.

Lol bassassin?

I hear ya on leeches, best live bait out