Suckers in the creeks/rivers yet?

Fisherpete

Yes you can net and spear suckers, before you question anyone's answer read the regs.

I told him to read the regs for his area, it is generally allowed but he mentioned east end tribs and I know that some steelheaders freak if they see someone with a spear on their favourite trib so spearing is not allowed on some waters that receive runs of trout in the spring.

nothing beats a fresh cut sucker for the lower Grand River. Have them swimming in your livewell prior to use.

don't freeze your sucker bait....breaks the flesh down and makes the blood go funny.

So how do you present the bait/ cut it up?

I'm just envisioning the hilarity of spearing suckers on the east tribs in front of all the steelhead warriors

While you can spear or dipnet suckers in most zones , Mar 1 to May 30th, Zone 17 is missing from that list, you will see it listed separately with a season from the second Sat in May to the end of May, at which time they hope the steelhead have moved on.

I'm just envisioning the hilarity of spearing suckers on the east tribs in front of all the steelhead warriors

Added bonus points, buy some grocery store rainbows and keep em in your pack. If anyone comes to talk to you just be like 'I already got my limit boys. These dumb things are so easy to spear!'

So how do you present the bait/ cut it up?

Take the live sucker, cut head off.

Throw into the river in the area you are fishing for chum.

then behind where you cut the head off, cut a single steak off.

don't cut more than you use at once, as it will start to dry out.

I have a couple large Tupperware tubs in my garage with pumps that I use to keep the suckers alive.

Usually three or four 20" to 24" suckers will do ya a good day on the grand....

We have also used cut bait rainbow trout from Lake Ontario...but the suckers work better.