Any Calcutta D experts on the board???

KraTToR

I was reading a tackle tour review and found out that the Calcutta Ds have VBS.. Now you have to disassemble the reel to remove the spool but I was wondering if anyone has played with this or has recommendations?

I have a 400d that I use to throw big muskie baits

I have a 200d that I use on a Frog/Swimbait/Swimjig rod.

TIA!

Were you reading my mind? I'm looking for a baitcaster, I hope you get some good feedback. What is the advantage you see in a round reel KraTTor?

From Shimano:

Most likely one of the most liked and used round profile baitcasters ever sold in Europe incorporating the latest Shimano technology. Its one piece cold forged frame now houses an X-Ship engine which will let this reel operate even smoother than before with increased cranking power capabilities. � Simply the strongest and most reliable baitcasting reel with a reputation going back over 20 years � X-Ship for higher rigidity and enormous cranking power � Shimano's highly acclaimed Variable Brake System giving the reel a consistent spool speed for optimised distance casting � Dartanium Drag providing a wider range of drag settings and Shimano's smoothest drag performance ever giving anglers extra confidence needed while fighting aggressive fish

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I have 3 of the 400 D's, they perform flawlessly for muskie fishing. I don't touch the brakes, leave them at factory setting but yes you do have to take apart the reel to access.

For a round reel the profile is quite low.

Pete

Edited by Fisherpete

Were you reading my mind? I'm looking for a baitcaster, I hope you get some good feedback. What is the advantage you see in a round reel KraTTor?

From Shimano:

Most likely one of the most liked and used round profile baitcasters ever sold in Europe incorporating the latest Shimano technology. Its one piece cold forged frame now houses an X-Ship engine which will let this reel operate even smoother than before with increased cranking power capabilities. � Simply the strongest and most reliable baitcasting reel with a reputation going back over 20 years � X-Ship for higher rigidity and enormous cranking power � Shimano's highly acclaimed Variable Brake System giving the reel a consistent spool speed for optimised distance casting � Dartanium Drag providing a wider range of drag settings and Shimano's smoothest drag performance ever giving anglers extra confidence needed while fighting aggressive fish

The Calcuttas are solid, they have tremendous cranking power,and they cast a mile.

Many people, including Jim Saric love the 400d for throwing big baits. The reason I purchased a 200d is because I liked the 400 so much I wanted a smaller version for bass and pike. The 200 will suit a a heavy or X heavy rods used for Swimbaits, Big Swimjigs, frogs/toads, big deep crankbaits,and large spinnerbaits.

One of the best features of this reel is that when retrieving big resistive baits like big spinnerbaits and deep cranks, its geared in a way that makes using these baits a breeze (no fatigue). They also cast a mile and will last a very long time.

Edited by KraTToR

I have 3 of the 400 D's, they perform flawlessly for muskie fishing. I don't touch the brakes, leave them at factory setting but yes you do have to take apart the reel to access.

For a round reel the profile is quite low.

Pete

Thanks Pete, Jim Saric said the same. I do like to tinker tho...lol

As stated in the Tackletour review, the JDM version has a screw on the handle side plate that can be removed which allows the non handle side plate to be moved so that you can adjust the brakes. It's an option if you like to tinker. The downside is there will not be any warranty support over here. I have ordered two reels from japan. 1 was because I saved a bunch of money and the other was because it wasn't available here. Since these reels only come with a 1 year warranty, I wasn't too concerned about it breaking.

I have never used a Calcutta D but did buy a CQ100 last year (one of the two from the JDM) and I have fallen in love with this thing. It also has access to the brakes and is a dream to fish with. I think I paid close to what the Calcuttas go for here as well.

Edited by Lape0019

Great reel..most of my musky guys run 400 size D's and B's, several guide and run them hard for years. I have the 401 Conquest and it's a joy and built like tanks. I'd stick to NA models as you can send them to Shimano to get reworked and serviced for $25, they do last a lifetime if serviced every few years.

Edited by cndbasshunter

I got the calcutta D when it first came out a few years ago. Overall I like fishing with it, it can do pretty much everything. However I did need to have gears swapped and other parts replaced after 2 years hard use. They aren't built like the old calcutta's.

Thanks KraTTor, it looks like I would be looking at the 200 series for Bass, Pike and Walleye. I Have tossed those monster Musky baits with good Shimano baitcastersand rods on a charter with Dany Columby (he will put you on the fish) on the West Arm. Man it's like throwing bricks after a half an hour and that's with great reels. It was the first time in many years using a level wind and zero back lash, I was proud. I know the good reels were a big factor, for sure. I can't imagine throwing bricks with crap reels so I see now see how it's worth the $$ if you are going to do that day after day. I never could understand the reason for the big bucks for them, I do now. I'm going to fish more for Smallies here on Erie this year again. I pretty well long lined for Walleye for the past 4 years and it's time to get back to Bass so I goota get me a 200.

Thanks for the help Sir.

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks KraTTor, it looks like I would be looking at the 200 series for Bass, Pike and Walleye. I Have tossed those monster Musky baits with good Shimano baitcastersand rods on a charter with Dany Columby (he will put you on the fish) on the West Arm. Man it's like throwing bricks after a half an hour and that's with great reels. It was the first time in many years using a level wind and zero back lash, I was proud. I know the good reels were a big factor, for sure. I can't imagine throwing bricks with crap reels so I see now see how it's worth the $$ if you are going to do that day after day. I never could understand the reason for the big bucks for them, I do now. I'm going to fish more for Smallies here on Erie this year again. I pretty well long lined for Walleye for the past 4 years and it's time to get back to Bass so I goota get me a 200.

Thanks for the help Sir.

Johnny D

Anytime Bud! I do a lot of smallie fishing on Eire, mostly long point and Mitchell's bay LSC. The 200 would really rock as a Largemouth reel for pulling big toads out of heavy cover, they won't stand a chance!