Thats a Big Fish!

FloatnFly

That sturgeon could easily survive.

I sure hope it went back in.

And I hope it was a legal catch if they kept it

That beauty would easily be 100 years old

To anyone thats never caught them, this is easily the strongest fresh water fish.

Dont make me tell the story of someone in the rez trying to frame me(or just being super nice but drunk outta their minds)

Edited by manitoubass2

I can change my opinion. At 2:49 the fish let out a great burp of air. Definitely still alive then for sure. Very still after that. They are fishing in US waters, if it were overseas the fishermen that come to help would have talked to them in Russian first not English. Her accent is Wisconsin, northwestern Illinois or eastern Minnesota. But north mid western for sure. He may be Canadian.

I hope they would have released that fish before it died, that size fish expended a huge amount of energy.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I can change my opinion. At 2:49 the fish let out a great burp of air. Definitely still alive then for sure. Very still after that. They are fishing in US waters, if it were overseas the fishermen that come to help would have talked to them in Russian first not English. Her accent is Wisconsin, northwestern Illinois or eastern Minnesota. But north mid western for sure. He may be Canadian.

I hope they would have released that fish before it died, that size fish expended a huge amount of energy.

That fish barely released any energy, unless they started filming an hour or so after the hook up.

But, they should have not left the fish on the ice for very long, thats a no no.

As for my sturgeon story OI, I think I might have told ya about it on the phone??

Rick, no one can keep track of OUR stories, not even us.

???

Wel my wife was off on business training in toronto. It was a really hot/calm day so I took the kids to shore fish bass at the rapids.

2 aboriginals were down the drinking beer and trying to gaff sturgeon.

I know the guys but they are annoying when drunk so I just kept to the other side of the rapids.

They finally get one maybe 2 hours later and probably about 10 beers later.

"Oranges" as they call him, comes over and politely asks if I need or would like a sturgeon.

After saying no about 20 times I just told him look dood its illegal for me to have that fish.

He says yeah but tour wife can have it!

So i explained that she was gone and i had no need for the fish, i dont even no how to smoke them or fillet them for that matter. He finally gives up, loads the fish into his buddies truck and they drive off.

So the kids and I fish maybe 2 hours longer and walk home.

To my dismay that friggen fish is in my front yard!

Now im freaking out on what to do? Keep in mind we had just moved to the rez and I knew like 5 people minus my wives family.

So I call her cousin that smokes sturgeon and hes not interested in one 60lb fish, ughhh.

Thats it, I pick up the fish and start the 300 yard walk to the other launch to revive this fish (while half the community watches the only white guy on the rez akwardly)

After an exhausting walk I get the fish in the water and start trying to revive it.

Shes breathing good but man shes been cooking on my lawn for 2-2 1/2 hours.

Not 15 minutes in I hear a boat coming. Immediately think, here we go, its MNR. Im never fishing again, whats this fine gonna be etc.

Sure enough its MNR and they pull right up.

2 guys and they are pissed! Ask for my license and I show it to them. Start telling what happened and said Im obviously not lying as I have no fishing gear with me.

The tide turns and they get friendly, help out reviving the fish during our talk and after about half hour she swims away with a giant splash of her tail.

They asked for a name but at that time I honestly didnt know? That and well im worried about our safety. I dont know if this is a voilent rez or whats gonna happen even if I could give names???

Anyhow, the COs were awesome and we struck a good chat. Friends till this day.

And nothing ever came of it...

My first time handling or even seeing a live sturgeon(smh)

I believe you Rick, not that I would ever doubt you. We went up to Port Severn, I think around 3 hours from Hamilton. Fished for the day and kept a few eaters including a 25" Pike threw them in a cooler and bought a bag of ice and throw it in. We get back to Hamilton and are unloading the boat. Empty the cooler, this is for you, this one's yours this is mine. Buddy throws the Pike on the lawn and it starts jumping around. Scared the living shatittle out of me. I had just started fishing maybe a year before. I think most of us has scared a kid or adult or two holding a Pike heart in our hand and watching it beat for 5 minutes.