Boat suggestions

evster

Hello all,

First of all, just joined this forum a little while ago and have already learned a tonne! Thanks!!!

Now onto my question...I am looking to start saving for my first boat. I am leaning towards aluminum since my wife wants something a little deeper on the sides, but I still want something with a platform on the front. I would like to use this boat for inland lakes but would also like to be able to take it out onto the great lakes the odd time. What length should I be looking for? Would 16 feet be too short for taking out onto the great lakes?

I should also mention that this boat will be a budget boat...

thanks!

Evan

Edited by evster

Can't go wrong with a 16 ft deep-v aluminum.

All depends on your budget though.

If you can afford it, then go with a Lund or something similar that has a deck and all that jazz.

If not, then pick up just the bare boat, and build your own deck, livewell etc.

It's like asking someone what their favourite pick up truck is. Lots of opinions in past threads. I have a 15.5' Smokercraft Resorter. (now made in a 16' boat) I have been very pleased. Nothing fancy, has a 40 hp Mercury and moves pretty good. It is an entry level boat. I dealt with Can-Do Sports just south of Woodstock and have nothing but good things to say about them, mind you I have had very little trouble and hardly ever need to talk to them. Andy

You can fish the great lakes in a 16 footer but you just need to keep an open eye on the weather conditions. The first boat I purchased at the age of seventeen was a 14 foot Sylvan, open bow and full windshield, and fished Ontario and Erie regularly. Bad part is in rougher water you need to run slow so you don't kill your hull (rivets) and your kidneys. I presently own a 19 foot Starcraft Islander (cuddy cabin) and I am sure the manufacturer makes a few boats in the style you are looking for. I also have a friend that purchased a Monarch last year and it rides quite well and is reasonably priced. Hope this helps..........

Evster, you should also consider where you intend on storing the boat. If you are thinking about in your garage, then this may limit the size of boat you get. I have a 16' Princecraft. When I bought it I had a 1" clearance on both sides of the garage door. I have since rebuilt the garage with a double door, so tons of clearance.

As well, the depth of the garage will also be a factor, particularly for boats longer than 16'.

For the past 22 years my 16.4' Grumman with a 50 hp VRO Johnson has served me well. I fish Lake Erie and Ontario and have trailered it all over the US and Canada. Trolling I get 30 miles to a 6 gallon tank, cruising I get 42 miles to a 6 gallon tank. She is 39 inches deep and has a 84" beam. I have fished contest with her in 6 ft waves but I no longer believe in contest nor fish them.

Here is one very similiar to mine

http://www.boatingvermont.com/preenjoyed/grummancc.htm

Good Luck finding your dream boat,

Bob

tonyb, you picked my wife's choice. just wish i had the cash for one of those. this boat will be one to hold me over, so if i don't feel comfortable on the big lakes its not a big deal. keep the suggestions coming!

You can get out on big lakes with 16' er but really have to pick days and watch the weather..... thunderstorms come up quick with high humidity and it turns nasty. I got caught on lake O fighting a salmon last Sept in our 16.5'....has already stayed out too long and was getting tossed around. Never been as scared as that run back to ramp, had to hit waves at 45* at 3/4 speed to keep from getting swamped. Almost fell out of boat at one point, hung onto steering wheel with one hand.

Some 16' boats with deep v may be an ok choice but to me its risky-weather comes up too quick.

this boat will be one to hold me over

I went through that exact same thought process. After a lot of consideration I knew that the boat suited my type of fishing (Great Lakes + trailering to inland lakes) and offered the room and flexibility for fishing all seasons and multi-species. There is no need for me to upgrade to anything else once I get this boat, so I am forking over the cash knowing it will be a boat I'll have until I'm old and grey.

Not too bad as you can finance over 15yrs :lol:

Tony

Edit: I didn't even see your post HH, I am definately going to be going over it with a fine toothed comb when I take delivery. I was initially going to have them rig everything up for me but Wayne's post has me a bit concernced about it.

Edited by tonyb

Well i fish lake ontario in my 16ft lund,and have it all decked out,it depends on weather and experience,mine is a tiller,so there is alot of questions you need to ask,will your wife be going with you,do you want dual console,or a tiller or a pure fishing machine,like other members asked what are you going to pull the boat with,storage,and do you only fish in the summer,or will you need a full top/cover for fishing bad weather,.....well you can see where this is going,figure all that out and we can help you out big time....good-luck cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

You're right fishindevil, and I know that this is just the beginning of serious thinking about this for me so i'm sure there will be lots of different things that come up. So here's a little more info on my situation. Still renting so I don't have a garage, but have lots of driveway room. I also only have a car. If the boat is too big for the car then I can always use my dad's pickup and i'm sure I could convince him to let me use his massive garage to store it if I need to be using his truck for towing. The wife will be going with me, because she is wanting a boat as much as me. Fishing will mostly be done in nice weather (for now), so the top canvas is not a necessity. She would like a boat that can be used for more than just fishing, but most of the deep v lund/tracker/legend type boats she likes. I would like a boat with a single console to keep room for moving around.

Once again, this is all in the makings...since we are just finished university, but getting tired of always wanting to go fishing but never actually able to.

Thanks!

Evan

I'm wondering if maybe my best bet for the short term is to forget about the great lakes for now until I have a better place to store the boat and then just keep my eye's open for an aluminum 12-14 foot with a motor that runs and floats for cheap. Then I might be able to tow it with my car and it won;t be a big deal to leave it on the driveway.

I think 19 foot is too big, you'll need a big truck to tow it, and a big motor, thats quite a carbon footprint you'll be leaving, you'll be sorry when gas hits $3 a litre.

I have a 14.5 foot princecraft with a 25 on the back, and fish the great lakes often, mostly Ontario but I've been on Superior as well, watch the weather etc etc.

Go with a 16 foot tin boat (Lund/princecraft) and you won't be sorry, and you won't need a big truck to tow it, and it fits in the Garage, and you can manhandle it if you have to.

I have the same boat as Walleyedreamer only the 165 version and it`s a nice rig and ditto on the Lund thing my Alumacraft was delivered in perfect condition.LOL

Since your on a budget rigs like this will probably be out of reach they can easily run 20-30 grand.

And for the record if your wife is going to be fishing with you and it sounds like she will be the single console might not be a good idea,one morning of whipping down the lake in the spring or fall and she will have some choice words for you if she can get her frozen face to work.

You should be able to get yourself into a good used rig for 3-5 thousand if you look hard enough.

Talk to wify about a pontoon. I tow a 20 footer with a 6cyl Aerostar.. Have towed from Penna. To Ontario that way. Great for fishin---cook outs on the barbie---Kids ( in the future maybe). I just bought another used 20 ft pontoon for daughters family of 7. W/o motor it was 600 dollars, added used 50 hp older merc for 200 more. Needs seats redone (thats hers to do). Ran great on lake last weekend. He hubby towed it with Astro van 4.3L

Well I think now I am officially on the market. Went out on my parents 38 foot sea ray last night and we got fishing a little bit. Didn't catch anything but we were out until almost dark. As we were headed out onto the lake my wife was bugging me to make sure we weren't out too long because she wanted to get home, then as i was packing up I had to wait another 20 minutes for her to bring her line in. She's hooked :clapping: . Also, my dad is more than happy to let me use half of his garage and his truck for towing, and if I want to spend the weekend in Turkey Point I can dock my boat beside theirs and sleep in comfort.

Now its just a matter of waiting for the right deal. Give me the heads up if anyone sees anything :thumbsup_anim: