Warning -Ice fishermen and women

Snowball

It never ceased to amaze me the size of some of the holes out on Simcoe

Some were big enough to swallow up a young child

Years ago when my son was in kindergarten I walked out at minets point,,the next thing I knew I was in the water up to my arm pits,,,,a guy called Mike of which I found out later came out of his hut which was a short distance away threw me a rope and let me drive his 3 wheeler back to my truck to go home

There had been a skiff of ice with blown snow over it and unmarked, a hut had been removed but not marked

Not a fun time IT WAS A PRIVATE HUT NOT CLARENCES but boy did he sure let the person know about it

The majority of fisherman and women are responsible but u can never let your guard down for the few that are not

thx for posting Snowball

I stay away from using a 10" auger because if you step in a hole you can break an ankle pretty easy, especially running to another hole.

Anything that won't come out a 8" hole I don't want anyway :whistling:

Edited by Dara

legislated common sense...sad, but necessary it seems

I pulled out a little mazda b2000 that had one tire stuck in a massive hole over Christmas break, just spinning trying to get out, somebody had drilled 6 holes together to make one very large hole...wind blowing snow around and that hole is barely noticeable within 20 mins

I've witnessed 4 of my friends go through old holes over the years, only one went fully through, hit bottom and bounced straight up, others were knee or balls deep...a good reminded to keep spikes around your neck all season on the ice

I don't mark every single hole I drill, but I mark the holes on busy lakes in popular spots....a roll of flagging tape will last a season, and branches are free

It never ceased to amaze me the size of some of the holes out on Simcoe

Some were big enough to swallow up a young child

Years ago when my son was in kindergarten I walked out at minets point,,the next thing I knew I was in the water up to my arm pits,,,,a guy called Mike of which I found out later came out of his hut which was a short distance away threw me a rope and let me drive his 3 wheeler back to my truck to go home

There had been a skiff of ice with blown snow over it and unmarked, a hut had been removed but not marked

Not a fun time IT WAS A PRIVATE HUT NOT CLARENCES but boy did he sure let the person know about it

The majority of fisherman and women are responsible but u can never let your guard down for the few that are not

thx for posting Snowball

Good ole Grump. may he rest in peace. :angel: