Concrete contractor for new garage- Looking for help

RangerGuy

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to build a garage next year, I HOPE! if I can get through all the hoops in Richmond Hill, On. I have no concrete experience, so I

am looking for well known respected company to dig,poor and finish the floor for my new garage.

Also, does anybody know what a cubic yard of concrete costs now a days?

Edited by RangerGuy

Ive run a pump for 11 years and my favourite crew is marrik floors, rick has been doing floors forever and would make short work of a garage floor.

Concrete price depends on the mix, if you can get it for 100 bucks a metre thats not bad.

If I had to build another one I would make sure that I had made it so that I had the walls coming up 6" in cement and sit the wooden walls on that. Because I had water infiltration issues a few years ago when we had a thaw in January with nowhere for the water to go, I had about 1/2" of water all over my garage floor.

If I had to build another one I would make sure that I had made it so that I had the walls coming up 6" in cement and sit the wooden walls on that. Because I had water infiltration issues a few years ago when we had a thaw in January with nowhere for the water to go, I had about 1/2" of water all over my garage floor.

You didnt put in a course of block for the walls??

S.

Funny you mention that Dan, If I do a slab I was thinking doing 2 courses of block, if I have to do footings I'll have the walls pored so the wood is 2' above grade. I figure that will allow me to spray out the floor carefully with out ruining the dry wall , plus it should deal with the situation you mentioned :)

Good idea about spraying out the floor, my drywall comes almost down to the floor. I should've asked before building it. What size of garage are you building. They are friggin expensive.

You didnt put in a course of block for the walls??

S.

No, never thought of it!!! Kind of too late now.

Block won't really keep the water out but will give you higher walls.

Even if you do a poured wall, if it isn't graded properly at the doors water will get in there. You can't step that part.

Just make sure you lift the slab high enough that it doesn't get wet.

Try to put a drain in the floor as well. Depends a lot on local rules.

Unless you are doing a huge garage a 6" slab thickened around the edges with a couple rows of 15M and wire mesh slab should be adequate. No real need for walls and footings

I built one for my dad a number of years ago. 16x24 with a second floor loft. By the time it was all said and done, he was in it for right around 10G. We did the whole thing ourself, that's just materials. The only other contractor he had in was the electrician to hook up the panel, and the concrete truck to pour the slab.

S.

I built one for my dad a number of years ago. 16x24 with a second floor loft. By the time it was all said and done, he was in it for right around 10G. We did the whole thing ourself, that's just materials. The only other contractor he had in was the electrician to hook up the panel, and the concrete truck to pour the slab.

S.

My cement slab alone was more expensive than $10,000.00 3 years ago!!!

If you're planing on heating this new garage; have you checked into radiant in floor? My son has it, in his 1500 sq. ft. work shop and it has to be the most comfortable and economical form of heating (after the install); that I've seen/felt for a work shop. Now's the time, if you're even interested in checking it out; well before having the slab poured. I know that my next man cave (when I can afford it) will have in floor heating; even if it means waiting and saving up for it. I have also installed it the kitchen, when we renovated the house and the wife wanted new ceramic tiles. Best thing I ever did, the old ceramic was always cold; now it's bare foot in the kitchen.

To cut costs I installed the grid (water pipe or electrical; which ever you decide) and then let the contractor finish the remaining install of the flooring and connections. Figured I saved about 35 - 40% of the cost, by doing what I could myself.

Dan.

Its easy to do yourself in pex, and not too expensive for the long term savings you'll see, I did a 4 double car garage in Burlington we laid down some reflective insulation, wire mesh and ran the loops I think we ended up with 4 tie ins it was an experience that's for sure

In floor gets easier all the time.

There are some great products to hold things in place while you pour the slab. Little gas boiler to heat the liquid.

I did mine 5 years ago, 24x26 with 2x6 walls and 12" blown in in the ceiling.

I went with a 50,000 BTU gas heater hung from the ceiling.

I built my own doors from 2x6 as well because I don't park in it and didn't want the heat loss of a R5 overhead type.

Hi Dara,

Yeh, I'm doing mine as well. Just need the concrete done because I have no experience at all with concrete.

I can't wait to have a good place for my current boat/gear...and a few years down the road my glass walleye boat (if our dollar improves HAHA! )

Now if I can get TRCA Planner to actually answer a question! These guys are terrible to deal with.

He actually said to me on the phone once, "It's not up to me to tell you what we want, it's up to you and your engineer to come up with what we need to allow this"