Legion closed and sold,,,,,,,,,,,WHY

misfish

Military medals are also worn on the right breast when earned by father/granfather/uncle. In the earlier days of the legion it was easy to differentiate those members from an associate member. For instance, I could wear the gongs earned by my forbears on my right breast as a way of recognizing thier service and legacy.

Personally, I would not do so. That would be a betrayal of my uncle Bob. He had a chest full of gongs from the Great War. Never wore them, paraded or mustered at the Legion. He did not want the reminders. A lot of veterans still do not want the bloody reminders of combat, peacekeeping, or general service. They will not join the Legion.

Not in Canada.

It is actually illegal to wear medals that have not been awarded to you personally.

It is a C.C.C. (Article 419) offense.

Thanks for the clarification Woodsman, I also thought medals of relatives could be worn on the right.

Always a good day when we learn something new.

I'm a Korean vet - belonged to a legion for many years - was a nice place to meet older guys - have a few beers and get into a poker game - well gambling was illegal and someone must have threatened calling the law - so the poker games went down - then they started letting non-service members in who were mostly young punks - then the rock music started playing - then the final draw - we older guys wanted the football game on the TV - the punks wanted ice skating - well there was a vote - they won because there was more younger guys in the place at the time - I left and never went back - now I have a beer at home and watch the football game on TV - most of the old timers either die off or stay home - so much for the legion -