deeper fish finder

huzzsaba

anyone ever use this type of portable fishfinder? Basically it can be used from anywhere including docks, piers, boat, ice fishing etc. would be nice to know if there are actually fish in the water than to spend countless hours exercising and practicing casting lol.

Edited by huzzsaba

yes its the ones you can cast out. sorry I was going to put up a link but having trouble with my phone lol.

the websites are buydeeper.com and fishhunter.com

I have also read of fish hunter brand which is suppsedly cheaper and better. If anyone has used one or can recommend one, I would appreciate it. :)

Edited by huzzsaba

Huzzaba, spending countless hours exercising and practicing casting is called experience. Knowing that if there are fish where you are is also called experience. It all comes with time my friend. Yes there are dead zones where there won't be any fish,,,,,sometimes. You will learn to read water. The old saying goes " The more you practice the luckier you get."

Wisdom is a life time of mistakes. When I got the fishing affliction I read, I went to every seminar at local clubs I could, spent countless hours at sportsmen shows, watched shows before they were infomercials, set my VCR to tape the shows I would miss. And above all I went fishing and learned from friends who I drove insane I'm sure. My skills improved immensely when I put my butt in a boat. You don't need to spend 20K to have your own boat. Buy an inexpensive Kayak. I would straddle a log 32 years ago to get to the fish. A dockside fish finder isn't going to do it for you. If you don't think great fishermen never get skunked you are mistaken.

Go fishing.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thats a great post OI!

And it works both ways!

I spent alot of time shore fishing and once in a boat I had all sorts of techniques rarely used and put fish in the boat.

To be a successful shore angler takes alot of practise.

But man oh man does it pay off in the end

And im not talking trout etc. Im talking walleye pike bass crappie

Its IMO, that shore fishing makes you very inventive, paying super attention to detail, weather patterns times of year etc.

Fishing in the boat is WAY easier IMO.

But that also depends on the body of water.

Im in NW ontario and thats a HYYYUGE difference from lake erie or lake O.

Fish relate to structure, find structure.

Weeds, drop offs, trees, deadheads, shoals, frig even sand beaches will hold walleyes in 2fow at night.

Ill post pics later of my shore fishing set ups and tackle

Rick I only started this longlining for meat a few years back. Before then it was all near north lakes and the Ottawa for all you mention. It was all structure related. Before that it was 95% shore fishing and renting tinnies with a 9.9 if we were lucky. The first boat was a Sears car toper, no trailer. I could put it in the pickup then solo, no anabolics too. I started shorefishing a week a year unless Dad had a boat, no one had a boat when I was a kid that I knew. that plus there was nowhere to fish in Hamilton in the 60's and 70's, so we played ball. Heck I didn't know anyone that had been north of TO. I had flown in planes before I even stepped into a boat to fish. That is a reason I encourage Huzzaba to just keep doing what he's doing and to get a cheap tinny or Kayak.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I agree that shore fishing can help you learn things that you might not need to pick up in a boat, from the time i was a few years old until i was 20 most of my fishing was done from shore.

The bonus was when i did get in a boat i was rarely unsuccesful because i knew how to fish every single corner of a spot before i moved.

Shore fishing certainly helps to teach patience.

Huzzaba, spending countless hours exercising and practicing casting is called experience. Knowing that if there are fish where you are is also called experience. It all comes with time my friend. Yes there are dead zones where there won't be any fish,,,,,sometimes. You will learn to read water. The old saying goes " The more you practice the luckier you get."

Wisdom is a life time of mistakes. When I got the fishing affliction I read, I went to every seminar at local clubs I could, spent countless hours at sportsmen shows, watched shows before they were infomercials, set my VCR to tape the shows I would miss. And above all I went fishing and learned from friends who I drove insane I'm sure. My skills improved immensely when I put my butt in a boat. You don't need to spend 20K to have your own boat. Buy an inexpensive Kayak. I would straddle a log 32 years ago to get to the fish. A dockside fish finder isn't going to do it for you. If you don't think great fishermen never get skunked you are mistaken.

Go fishing.

What Ironmaker said X2

It's funny Huzzaba when we fished from shore we would see a nice boat go by and say "Man I wished I had one" Now we see some guys wading working the shoreline and hauling in Bass etc and say "I wish we could get in that close around that structure."

Thanks for all the replies. I think the exact same thing when I see a boat go by and I am seriously thinking of getting a little 12 foot aluminum boat to get out those areas. Unfortunately when I save up a little to put towards the boat, some other expense comes up. But that's life right ^_^ .

Definitely I have learnt a lot by shore fishing and with all the very useful tips and advice I get from here. I have learnt a little how to read the water conditions and which areas to stay away from. Unfortunately sometimes I know there are fish but the fish are smarter lol and that is probably due to higher fishing pressure and due to the fact that most places I go to have bass and they can be very picky. Salmon are not quite running right now and its a gong show wherever you go on the shore of Lake O. I think once the salmon run is over, and the trout start, the crowd will be less and a lot more enjoyable to be shore fishing at the productive timings.

I guess the reason I want to get a fish finder so that I can explore areas where there is no crowd while trying to not waste too much time. How much time is reasonable to try a new spot before moving on?

Edited by huzzsaba

Depends on what you are fishing for, there is no right or wrong answer. Ive fished shore spots on a river for smallies when i was younger where i would catch 10-20 a day. A week later id catch 2-4. Weather, time of year, species, water temp etc,etc all play a factor. Learn what you can about your target then go at them hard, change tactics change approach until something clicks.

If you go a few times and nada then maybe its time to move on.

I have had a lot of skunk days in my life with all different manner of fish, however i learn just as much on those days as i do the great ones.

Get out there and make it happen, nothing and i mean nothing replaces experiance.

I would fan cast the area 3 times with same presentation then move. Once I covered that water without results I would change up the presentation. If I stopped at the local tackle shop at spots I had never been to I asked, begged and groveled to find out what was the hot lure. Look at the shelves the lures and colours that are getting thin or MT were the ones the locals were buying.

As far as your original question about these dock mounted sonar all I can say is I have never seen one used since they were introduced. That tells me that they may not work well.

Do you and yours like snorkelling? It is a sure fire way to find fish and I am being 100% serious. Before I started fishing 30 some odd years back my father in law would have me swim the areas around the cottage and let him know what I found, drop offs, weed beds and all structure cast able plus fish population.