I bought this lantern at a yard sale.. is it safe?

wask

So I bought this lantern at a yard sale along with a propane stove and some tackle boxes today and got a good deal.

I pulled the lantern about of the box because I wanted to pick up some fuel for it. I read the directions and it says Coleman Fuel or Unleaded Gas??!??

Grant it, it is an old one, and obviously this is the first lantern I have ever purchased, and I thought it was a good deal. The ones I have used in the past were propane, you just screw on the propane cannister and do it that way. This one you have to add fuel to the base.

So my question is... is this a safe lantern, or should I just ditch it for a propane one?/

Thanks for the input and answer to this obviously noob question...

....I have a few Coleman items that run on Coleman fuel (naptha gas) and they're pretty darn reliabe in all weather. If taken care of there's no need to worry, I've seen Coleman laterns and stoves older than I that still perform wonderfully. Depending on age it may need a few replacement parts readily available at most CTC stores. Have to admit though niether I nor anyone I no has tried using unleaded fuel, no need to really with the availability of naptha fuel.

I'm with Spiel. On my latest trip to Algonquin my bud brought his trusty/lucky lantern he's been using for 20+ years. How's that old saying go.... "They don't make 'em like they used to"

Corn Nug

Edited by Corn Nug

Those lanterns are indistructable, and will last you a lifetime. I have a couple of them, as well as a coleman white gas stove from my late in laws cottage.

Everything works well, just a little time needed to pressurize the tanks. "Coleman fuel" is available everywhere.

Enjoy your treasures.

John

So I bought this lantern at a yard sale along with a propane stove and some tackle boxes today and got a good deal.

I pulled the lantern about of the box because I wanted to pick up some fuel for it. I read the directions and it says Coleman Fuel or Unleaded Gas??!??

Grant it, it is an old one, and obviously this is the first lantern I have ever purchased, and I thought it was a good deal. The ones I have used in the past were propane, you just screw on the propane cannister and do it that way. This one you have to add fuel to the base.

So my question is... is this a safe lantern, or should I just ditch it for a propane one?/

Thanks for the input and answer to this obviously noob question...

There is a series of Coleman products that actually run on unleaded auto gas, they gave grey tanks, Called Dual Fuel models. You can get replacement parts at the Coleman Store on Matheson Rd in Mississausage, or go to www.warehouseoutlet.com, same place.

Just packed away a stove I inherited before reading this thread last night. I have a 3 burner and a 2 mantle lantern. Yes they are hardy things. The "MADE IN CANADA" is stamped into the metal and there is no plastic. Everything is made sturdy and SIMPLE.

When I first got the stove I had to buy a small leather gasket for the pump because after a decade it had dried out. I've had to buy one glass for the lantern. I have gone through several plastic funnels for filling them though.

So I read this thread last night and today outside a general store I see a 2 burner from the same era and a cooler with 3 pots and camping dishes. All for $10! He sais he's got a whole attic full of this stuff so I'll be looking at buying the lot of it including the old canvass tents. Now he said the last time the stove ran it was fine. IN 1987!! It fired right up 20 years later :o

It would be a sin to send this to recycle. Thats why they don't make it like they used to. Keep your propane. It just creates more garbage and employs people in China.

Dan