Real-estate Agents Grrrrrr

Big Cliff

Just went through the exact same thing... Buying agent gets 2.5% our selling agent got 1% (We got a pretty good deal).. Still my house sold in less then 8hrs. Figure out that hourly wage!!!!!!!

beat me an hour and their payday is not bad.

hei BM sold that place up in Alliston! Wep put up the sign and the guy who rented it for 30 years comes over and said I'll buy it!!!!! If only we had asked him no comm.

Just found out the house 3 doors over from us sold through Property Guys for 588, no boathouse, no garage, about the same square footage and similar in many other respects to ours. The other big advantage we have is we aren't in a hurry to sell (spring and fall fishing right off the dock is excellent :whistling: )

Good luck with whatever route you and Sue take Cliff. We have used Norma Long with Royale Lepage in Bobcaygeon for both buying and selling and my mom bought her place through Norma as well. You will love her or hate her....but she is brutally honest and won't even take a listing if you want more then what she thinks is a fair price...she just won't waste her time. When we listed our rental place with her a few years back it sold within a week. When we left Oshawa to head up there to sign off on an offer at full listing price we arrived to find we had 2 other offers come in that day and a bidding war was going on. We ended up chatting with her in her office for a couple of hours while she was wheeling and dealing with people on the phone to get us more money. We ended up getting thousands more then we thought we where driving up to sign off on.

Even if you don't use her Cliff I would recommend you get her to do an appraisal....she will give you an honest assessment in my opinion.

I know a lot of RE agents. All good people. However they are not sales people. They just list your house and make money if/when it sells. If not they move on to the next listing not much skin off there back other then a couple of open houses that are usually only a couple hours.

I agree with other posters. List it yourself and you will save a ton of money.

John was my mentor back when I was taking my courses. He was more excited than I was when I passed my final exam and got my licence. Man, I miss him.

John was an exception in many ways and helped out so many people on this board my daughter included. He will be forever in our hearts for what he did.

Not all agents are bad, my brother is a real-estate agent and has been for many years. He would be quick to tell you about the good and bad ones out there. He has told me many stories of agents that sell by convincing the seller to list lower than what the true value is. He has also told me many stories about how a good agent protects their customers and actually works for them rather than just trying to close a deal to get the commision. In fact he would not even take a referal on listing our place because he is in Cornwall and didn't feel he would be able to do enough to earn a commission in selling our place.