20hp 1995 Mercury pull cord issue

buick14

Hey guys,

I have a 20hp merc which has lately been giving me issues. When I pull the chord, sometimes it either snaps back, or I go to put some balls into it, and the cord stops me midway, hurting my elbow.

I've also noticed the power isn't always all there, although it "seems" to be idling fine.

I'm running new gas, with sea foam , and changed the plugs; same issues.

The issues are intermittent, but frequent....especially frequent is the lack of power issue...

I've heard idling, punks gas and plugs. Tried all except timing, but I don't know how the timing would just go out like this?

Any and all help would b great

I just went through the same recoil problem with my 1997 20 hp mercury 2 stroke. Take the recoil assembly off the top of the motor. Underneath there will be a few keys that engage the flywheel. Make sure they move free. They should lock in place turning the motor over when you pull. If they are worn or dirty they could be locking in a position that prevents normal function. It's an easy check. 5 minutes to remove 20 minutes with a q tip and some wd40. 5 minutes back together. You'll know on the first pull. Also sounds like some carb adjustments might help.