Thursday on the Grand

pikehunter

I headed down to the river this morning, played hooky from work ( I told the owner he could reach me on the cell if I was needed, I did however not tell him I can't get a signal downstream from Dunnville :whistling:)

I had no camera with me as my son had it at school but I did get a couple of pictures of my catch when I got home.

The day was great! My first incident almost happened right in front of Fishmaster's store. I was about to pull in to the parking lot and was slowing to a crawl, thank God! Right in front of the van a doe shot across the street! She must have only been about 3 feet from my front bumper! If I hadn't been starting to make a turn I would have been going faster and that would have been the end for her. She had ran right through downtown Dunnville, across my path, through Fishmaster's parking lot right past his 24hour bait shack, past the trailers and on into some back yards!

I was really surprised to see a dear like that right in downtown! Scared the crap out of me. If I had hit it this would have been my second time hitting one! Well as it turned out Steve's bait shack was about dry, all but a few little ones were left, sorry Steve.

I picked up some minnows at Port Maitland and launched there. I tried 3 times to get the boat to float off the trailer! I couldn't figure it out :dunno: Then I realized...the winch was still connected to the bow! :blush: OK, I'm a dummy there's always a first time for everything, wonder what it will be the next time? Headed out for perch and got many hits, many of which were gobies, one of them was huge! It had to be about 8 inches long. :blink: Biggest one I have seen. I kept one good sized perch and one smaller one.

After the bight fell off I headed up the river to my favourite spot where a few others were trolling around. I joined in with the train of boats and then dropped off to the side to anchor and throw in a hook and minnow rig. Hit one really big sheephead and pulled up the rig and joined back in with the trolling line up.

One fellow in a Lund had near his limit. I switched lures just as he was leaving and right away brought in a 19 inch pickeral! Nice, it made my day even better! :D Then got a small one which was about the size of the huge gobie and let him re-join his friends back in the river.

All in all it was a good day, this weekend will be busy in town as it looks like a carnival is pulling in, probably the Mudcat Festival? :dunno: So today was a perfect day to hit the lower Grand. Quiet, warm and sunny.

Back at home

19inchpickeral.jpg

And in the sink

Todayscatch.jpg

Nice report and pics too! I fish that area as well although have not done well in the past 2 years.

That is unbelievable about the close call with the deer and where it was.

I tried 3 times to get the boat to float off the trailer! I couldn't figure it out :dunno: Then I realized...the winch was still connected to the bow! :blush: OK, I'm a dummy there's always a first time for everything, wonder what it will be the next time?

Don't worry, you're in good company. I think we can blame the launch. That's the same one where I struggled to start my motor, only to later realize it was a forgotten killswitch. ;)

Nice work! Into some fish and avoided a collision :) I have yet to have any luck with the pickeral (did I spell that right..trying to be Canadian hehe) this season. Haven't ever launched a boat but I can confess that I have done similar things......chalk it up to the excitement/anticipation of getting out there!!

bly

Thanks for the comments guys. :thumbsup_anim:

Yep I have done a lot of stupid things besides the boat winch incident. :blush:

The plug...one time so far. I launched, left my son to tie the boat while I parked and came back to find him dragging the stern end of the boat up on a half submerged dock to stop the water from coming in.

Safety lanyard emergency stop, I have forgot that many times too.

When I was younger I started my Father's 9.9 Evinrude in forward gear almost crashing it into the rocks in front of their cottage. I guess it didn't have a safety to prevent it from starting in gear and I didn't know any better at the time.

In gear, done that more than one time, sat at the ramp in Orillia one day pushing and pushing the starter button and couldn't figure out why the motor would not go, or even had any juice running to it! A guy with an expensive glittery bass boat waiting to launch is standing there looking down at us and says, "Take it out of gear before you try to start it." I felt like Curly Larry and Moe all rolled together into one big Stooge. :oops:

Nice Fish!! I guess a deer running across your path is a very good sign for you.

That's purty rough.

Reminds me once, dragged an anchor fer about a quarter mile before realising why we weren't going as fast as we should have been.

Dats cuz yer from dem dare hills Mr. Clampit. lol (had to get ya back for your comment on my coleman purchase)