Esson Lake, Near Wilberforce

fisher

Been searching online for info on fishing this lake. We are headed up for a week next week. I could not find much to read - hope that is not an indication on the fishing we should expect.

I did read that it is 100 feet deep, holds perch, Lake Trout and Bass.

Hoping to get some suggestion on what may work when we will be up there. Anyone have any experience they care to share?

Alos, would you know of any nearby lake that might be better to try our luck on? Are there any with Pike in the area?

thanks!

No personal experience, but if it's anything like the lakes close to Wilberforce, I can say a few general things:

Bass are stupid - Senkos, tubes, dropshots, topwaters, crankbaits are all productive. Size wise, you'll have to see for yourself. Fish as deep as 30FOW, although you should be able to get most of your action in less than 15. Points, humps, weedbeds all work - it just depends on what you find.

Lake trout will come up to very shallow water (Less than 20FOW) to feed right at dawn and dusk - that window seems very small. Afterwards, try jigging in the deep. Blade baits work, or even a dropshot plastic on a jighead has been productive for me. I don't know how to troll so hopefully someone else can help you.

Fished this lake a few times. We spent most of the day cruising the shoreline casting light white and green jigs with white and green mister twisters. Did a lot of Tiny Torpedoes for top water. Cast to the shore and slow retrieve.

For lakers troll the rock shoales with deep diving body baits. mann stretch 20's and such. or try minnows deep on the rocks.

good luck

Its got decent bass, but when I fish there its for lakers. I use downriggers, and have good luck on a gold #60 williams wobbler with green tape on half of it. Usuallyy troll between 30-50ft down.

Great beach, and beauty area. There are some good rainbow lakes up there too. Little Esson is stocked, as well as mountain, and clement. Get on the water at first light and slow troll a small gang rig with a big wolly bugger about 18" behind. No weight.

Lots of good bass lakes up there, and yeah, elephant is stacked with pike!

We have a place on grace lake. Been fishing up there for 25yrs. A good day trip is the beach at the north end of grace lake. Beauty spot!!

S.

I've fished Little Esson once, but never Esson. I'd be very interested in seeing how you make out. Don't hesitate to try for some Lake Trout. I've had plenty of success using a simple 3-way rig or clip on weights. Just use 6 to 8 pound test line, or even better braided line of equivalent diameter, 3 to 6 oz. of weight and a spoon or minnow bait - let out about 100 feet of line and your good to go. I used to stick with a three-way setup (three way swivel with a 1-2 foot dropper to the weights), but now I use either a clip-on weight I made with an alligator clip or just an elastic band. Simple and effective for guys like me who fish for Lake Trout maybe 5 times a year.

Here's a map of Esson if you need one: Esson Depth Map

Edited by adempsey

• 5 months later...

I have only fished it in softwater, but theres some good lakers in there. Apparently the odd rainbow too. Quite a few good rainbow lakes in the area.

S.

Thanks Sinker,

Do you know if there is any current in Esson? I am taking my snowmobile with me and want to be safe.

I am hoping to find some lakers by running and gunning.

Reports are only 8-10 " on the bigger lakes up there. Talk to some locals first. Farquar has about the same, and a friend is on misquabi now reporting the same. Just use your head and you will be ok. There is a big culvert at the south end i would stay away from but i dont think there is much, if any current in there. Lots of good lakes up in that area. Pm me if your interested in fishing a different lake ive been running those woods for almost 30 years. Like i said, lots of good rainbows close by. They are tons of fun thru the ice and awesome eating.

Good luck and keep me posted when your back!!

S.

• 2 weeks later...

Just small report - i was able to fish, but didn't bring my snowmobile with me(was advised not to because of weather conditions) - so run and gun approach was out. I walked around lake drilling holes and trying to catch some lakers. Partially I was successfully and 3" white tube produced first smallest laker i have ever seeing. Second one was caught on smallest badboy with tiny minnow - again very small fish. Local fisherman were moving around on snowmobiles and i guess they had a better luck. I was pretty happy with my results anyways.

Halliburton is magnificent.