NF - Upgrading a Wireless Router - NF

Bondar

At my house I have the junk router than cogeco gives when you sign up for Internet. The wireless range on it is horrible and cuts out in my small house. I'm looking to upgrade it but I have no idea what I should be looking for. I'd like to buy off Amazon of similar for a deal rather than going to Best buy or something like that. What would you guys recommend as I have no idea what any of the signs for a good router are. Simple set up and use would be nice as I'm not great with computer stuff

Thanks for any help

I used to have a d-link wasn't impressed with it and went with a Cisco dual band wireless N router, couldn't be happier and in a house with 6 guys, 4 of which have girlfriends so the potential of 10+ people connected at any point in time, we haven't had any issues in terms of speed or lack of connectivity at any moment in time, keeping in mind I have unlimited internet with 100mbps speed

Just did a quick search online, the Asus routers are looking to be a better option at a cheaper price point. There are some on Amazon listed in the $100 range that are faster than mine, and I believe I paid $129.99 or something like that

Edited by Lucas F

Would recommend an ASUS Router - like this -> http://www.staples.ca/en/ASUS-AC1750-Dual-Band-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/product_984098_2-CA_1_20001. I have this one at home, and the coverage is good (3 Antennas make a difference). AC is a new wireless standard - good explanation here -> http://www.extremetech.com/computing/160837-what-is-802-11ac-and-how-much-faster-than-802-11n-is-it. Then AC1750 is an older unit - looks like it has been replaced by RT-AC66U (not to be confused with 2nd recommendation below).

If you don't have an AC wireless adapter, than the RT-N66U is probably fine. Again it has 3 antennas, which will help in terms of range, etc.

Do a search - but Staples might be the best location in terms of price - or at least it was when I was searching.

In terms of setup, they are pretty straightforward.

I run an asus, its great except when it comes to mobile devices a floor up, for some reason it constantly cuts out, and i run Merlin firmware, odd because with the laptop its fine. Gave up trying to figure out what was wrong with it.