Battery Advice

Hey All,

We're in the process of purchasing some new rental boats. Some of the boats will have 20 HP electric start motors and some will be more basic and will have 9.9 manual start motors. All will have electric bilge pumps with livewells and fish finders, therefore batteries will be required.

My question: For the boats with 9.9 manual start motors, how can we keep a charge on the batteries without an alternator? Does anyone know if there is a solar panel on the market that we could permanently wire to the batteries so they would always hold a charge? The draw from a fish finder and livewell pump are very low so it wouldn't have to be much.

Feedback appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Regan Thompson

The average F/F takes about 1 amp to run, the average livewell pump runs from 3 Amps to 7 Amps depending on size. So, if you're running both, they would consume anywhere from about 4-8 Amps an hour. Even the larger 15 watt panels that measure about 16 inches wide by 3 feet long only put out about 1 amp in the most ideal conditions. You're loosing an uphill battle. Unless each boat sits idle for at least a day at a time in full sunlight, they will never get fully recharged. That's the facts of solar power.

I also would recommend a "on-board" charger because it also extends the battery life by YEARS....I would use the Pro Series 6 or something similar. I had a Pro Series 12 for about 10 years until I got my new boat and moved up to the Pro Series 20+.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/AutoBoat-Batteries-Chargers/On-Board-Chargers-Inverters%7C/pc/104794380/c/104698080/sc/104465880/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers8482-ProSeries-On-Board-Marine-Battery-Chargers/1309718.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fon-board-chargers-inverters%2F_%2FN-1100565%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104465880

I wonder what the long term difference in price is between getting motors with alternators vs. buying chargers and paying for the electricity.

The alternators certainly are more convenient for the guests, but then again you'll have to charge/maintain all those batteries at some point.

Had the same scenario on some of the early boat rentals purchased by my sister in laws resort on Temagami. First series of deluxe rental boats were powered by 15 and 25 HP and it was always a pain for maintaining battery levels through charger systems especially when guests are involved.

They'd forget to plug them in or worst off was actually leaving stuff on overnight in the boat like fish finders, lights, live wells and bilge pump while tied to the dock.

If you go chargers you better get a few back up batteries as no guest wants to be down when a battery is doa at 6 in the morning.

Worth every penny when our next rental boats came in with alternators. You'll still run into dead batteries for reasons above but you won't have all the daily maintenance.