Battery Help Please

Dara

I have a 2010 EFI 60 Yamaha

It came with an Interstate 500 amp cranking battery.

It is going bad on me.

I'm not sure what size to replace it with.

I went into a non reputable boat dealer and he said I needed a 1000

A friend that I trust said that I should go with a 750 or 800 because they pack too many plates into a 1000 and they don't end up working well.

the 500 worked fine for me for 4 years now

Looking for some insight to help me with a decision

I will also be needing a deepcycle in short order as well...40 lb trolling motor

Thanks

Dara

Costco. They have an excellent cranking/deep cycle battery for $120, and group 27 deep cylces for the bowmount for $100. I picked up a new to me boat this spring with a 50 honda. I replaced the cranking battery with the costco starting batt, and it works great. Their return policy is excellent as well. 12 months over the counter, and 36 month pro-rated. I have 2 other costco batteries and they have been good to me. For your bowmount 40lb, the 27 series should run it all day.

12 volts DC is 12 volts DC regardless of amp rating, A higher amp rating battery with same physical size (for space) will be a better choice specially if you are running all the electronics, pumps and lights of the same battery,

My F90 came with a 500 amp as well and lasted almost 7 years, I replaced it with a 1000 amp battery,

just make sure the battery is marine rated.

the biggest batterys that fit is usually the way i would go, sounds like you had a group 24 battery, if it serves you well replace with same, going up a group size will give you more hours to run all the electronics i run 3 27's all deepcycle.

can get two days outta troling motor

12 volts DC is 12 volts DC regardless of amp rating, A higher amp rating battery with same physical size (for space) will be a better choice specially if you are running all the electronics, pumps and lights of the same battery,

My F90 came with a 500 amp as well and lasted almost 7 years, I replaced it with a 1000 amp battery,

just make sure the battery is marine rated.

Not quite true. There are deep cycle batteries, starting batteries and dual purpose batteries. But as already mentioned, make sure whatever you decide on is a "Marine Battery".

For a starting battery that also runs everything but my TM I use and have had very good luck (9 years) with a dual purpose battery.

Proper care and maintenance of your batteries will extend their life beyond what most get out of their batteries, and that means using a on-board smart charging system whenever not fishing.

Thanks Guys...it all helps a bunch.

We don't have a costco anywhere near here and I need it for Friday.

I founf d a group 27 dual 850 at Atlas for $140.

Gotta see if it fits.

I was wondering about duals and after the posts they sound ok..thanks

What about Walmart? They are good for batteries too. I saw group 24 deep cycles there for $100 and group 27 for $112. I didn't check the prices for a marine starting battery. Those are GTA prices, but I think they have the same prices everywhere.

I'm sure there's a Walmart in your area. They carry several marine batteries and if you get the Maxx model it comes with a 2 year replacement warranty with original receipt. They come in cranking and deep cycle.

Thanks Guys...it all helps a bunch.

I founf d a group 27 dual 850 at Atlas for $140.

Gotta see if it fits.

I was wondering about duals and after the posts they sound ok..thanks

Not quite true. There are deep cycle batteries, starting batteries and dual purpose batteries. But as already mentioned, make sure whatever you decide on is a "Marine Battery".

For a starting battery that also runs everything but my TM I use and have had very good luck (9 years) with a dual purpose battery.

Proper care and maintenance of your batteries will extend their life beyond what most get out of their batteries, and that means using a on-board smart charging system whenever not fishing.

I was talking about cranking batteries because thats what OP asked and thats the reason I mentioned cranking amps,

There is no need to confuse things when the question was about a starting battery upgrading from 500 to 1000 amps,

And yes, 12v DC IS 12v DC

No need for an on-board smart charger every time you are not fishing for a starting battery, your main motor takes care of that.

A deep cycle battery needs to be charged asap after each use.

Actually the OP asked about both types of batteries and the discussion went back and forth about both types of batteries and that is why I wanted to clarify to the OP that not all 12v batteries are the same.

And the reason I do get far more years out of my starting battery and my dedicated deep cycle batteries is because of my on-board smart charging system and that's the reason I suggest using a on-board charger whenever the boat is not fishing. Since I have had a on-board charger (more then 15 years) I no longer take out my batteries during winter storage, just keep the boat "plugged in".

But you are correct that you shouldn't need a charge on the starter battery every time out because you main motor "should" take care of that. However, that depends on how far you travel from spot to the trailer/dock. In my case I run 1-2 miles back to my trailer but while anchored for perch I run a livewell on a auto timer, two HDS graphs plus a stereo and VHF radio. All that can put a strain on your starting battery. But when I return home I just "plug in" the boat and forget about it.

" ProMariner, sequential multistage charging gives you the peace of mind that your batteries are being charged, conditioned and maintained, so they are ready when you are".

As I have a fair amount of equipment running I opted to install a house battery (grp 24 deep cycle) and a charging relay. This keeps the cranking battery isolated during dischage from all the accessories.

When I fire up the motor, it charges both the cranking and house. My on-board smart charger does the same when I plug it in.

If you need more info on this setup, please send me a PM.

Cheers!