Buying new AC (maybe Furnace) - Hamilton area help - Update

Steve

Replacing both at the same time is lot cheaper than replacing each one individually.

Exactly. Package deal, the guys do it in one trip and one day.

Don't expect to save a lot on energy costs. My furnace was 30 plus years old and the new one only gives me a little savings.

Sears did all the paper work and I got my gov't rebates.

Edited by chris.brock

well, I met two fella's that are family of one of my best friends (his stag and doe was this weekend).

they are coming over on Monday to give me an assessment.

thanks for all the assistance. I'll let you know what I decide to go with.

So I've had two companies by the house so far, and will have the "friends" of my best friends family come by last.

The first company showed up late, was rather rude, and too pushy on the sale. They were $7,700 for furnace and a/c, 10 year parts and 5 years labour. Then 650 energy return. (so they say, I have to send it in).

The second company just left. This company spent a lot longer with me, gave me a much more professional quote, $4K for A/C on its own, GSX16 Goodman. Or, $8,478, less $650, which these guys guarantee, and they send in your information. If you don't receive return in 6 months they will pay you the $650 (and they put that in writing). The furnace is a GMVC86 Goodman. This package is 10 years parts and labour guarantee.

Friday the two "dudes" come by. These guys installed full furnaces and AC's at four of my friends places all without issue....and I've heard they are cheaper.....but.....

Leaving the "dudes" aside, how does that second quote sound?

I expected a bigger savings by doing the furnace at the same time. The second quote is $4K for a/c, but another $4.4K to add furnace...shouldn't that furnace charge be less?

Makes me think about just doing the a/c and waiting on the furnace. but then again .....

Both those quotes sound high to me!

x2...those prices are pretty bad especially for the Goodman stuff. I had mine replaced in a panic two years ago (I was out of town and had to get the local a/c guy to do it while I was gone to keep the wife happy). He put in a 2 ton Goodman condensing unit, new A-coil, new 50 foot lineset, all for $2500. I put a new 1.5 ton Payne condensing unit, coil, & lineset in my mom's house last year for her and the total parts were under $1200, labour was about 8 hours. The high efficiency furnaces list for about $2000 (installers get 50% off list). You can't buy the parts yourself at too many places and even if you can, most guys won't install or service it. I really hate these guys and they all seem to be cahoots. As mentioned, the Goodman stuff is okay but it really isn't up the York, Carrier, Payne standards by any stretch. I am very lucky to have a good friend in the business so we can get parts and he's got the license and tools needed. I think all you can do is keep shopping around and see if you can find an honest Residential HVAC contractor (aka Unicorn). Good luck and my heart bleeds for you....sometimes the 'dudes' are far more honest and reliable than the name brands, hopefully it works out.

Edited by G.mech

Those prices are high wow. the actual price on the ac and furnace would be under $2000 as a business buying it, I just installed a horizontally mounted furnace plus coil and condenser the cost on it was $1700

We have been installing Goodman for a few years with no problems.

Are your prices taxes in?

I would think we could do this for $6000.00 all in maybe less but would have to see it to be exact.

We do 6 or 8 a year just to pay for our atv & snowmobile trips.

Yes it's a sideline, guy I work with with is a licensed industrial electrician with his gas license. we have been doing this for 6 or 7 years.

Just putting it out there, if your interested.

And yes we have all heard the stories of using a friend of a friend or guy who works on the side but we have all been burned some way or another.

thanks Mike

I had Aplus air from Hamilton install a new Carrier furnace & 15 seer AC unit 5 years ago. 10 year parts & labour warranty on everything. They also installed a new flow through humidifier & cartridge type air filter. They advised me to get the variable speed DC fan motor. My fan runs 24/7 on low speed - keeps the humidifier operating & the air filter is filtering the air continuously. My electric bill is very reasonable - less than 80 bux per month. I like the fact my inside air is being constantly filtered.

Steve, you are right about hvac scams, but is there any industry that doesn't have people like that. Car repairs, home reno's, take your boat in and see what happens,

lots of places do great work and some not so much.

Just like Lucas said about Goodman, he's not a fan but we haven't had any problems with them so who knows.

There are many good brands out there with problems but the trick is to try and find someone who will stand behind there product.

Yes the price might be a little high but you have to think what goes into it running a business like this, lots of expenses when you have trucks, sales people, a shop, advertising, insurance and the liability that goes along with it. No that doesn't make it right that they are pricey but there is a reason and that's to make a profit.

I personally think that price is very high but have not had a close up look at the job so it's pretty easy to criticize from the computer.

Sounds like they are going to put in a chimney liner so the water heater is safe and that's important.

From my perspective your furnace, a/c unit & condenser, programmable thermostat, lines and materials to install will be under 3 grand or there abouts,

so anything over is labor.

Again this is from my desk in front of my computer so take it as just my 2 cents.

Good luck in your search.

Mike

Steve,

I don't have any body I can recommend in your area,

I am a licensed HVAC mechanic (commercial) with 35 years in this trade, I don't do residential, sorry.

I am not well versed on makes of residential HVAC equipment but I work and talk to people who install/repair residential A/C & furnace on daily bases,

one thing I can tell you, it is very important that installation should be done by a licensed HVAC mechanic with good experience and reputation, equipment's make, model, warranty does not mean much if the equipment was not installed properly, A good mechanic will have good workmanship, piping practices like brazing and evacuating the lines (very important), equally important is a well maintained vacuum pump. contamination in the system is one of a major cause of premature equipment failure, proper electrical and thermostat hookup, proper sheet metal work right down to running the condensate drain,

A simple example is roofing, A 25 year shingle warranty means squat if the roof is not done right.

The reason it feels like a scam because there are too many fly by night "artists" installing A.C and furnaces. no different than any other trade. There is a reason you have to go through 5 years of apprenticeship to get your ticket.

A higher price doesn't always reflect higher quality of work, BUT at the same time, "GOOD" and "CHEAP" shouldn't be used in a same sentence when it comes to tradesmen, a good tradesman deserves to make a decent living.

I wouldn't install Goodman in my house. Trane and Keeprite are also not what they used to be, lots of bad reviews,

If you have any other questions, I can answer via PM,

thank you gentleman.

I have Cosmopolitan Mechanical Services coming by Sunday evening for a quote.

they seem like good people on the phone, and have four or five different brands available...they also told me to stay away from Goodman when I asked.

A good brand in terms of availability in parts would be York, carrier or trane,( I have a Payne which is basically a carrier) Lennox has a nice product but we have sometimes had issues with getting parts in a timely manner, York is also going through some re engineering or something as they've put all of their economisers for certain sizes of their predator series rooftops on hold and won't ship any out until they figure out the engineering behind it

Well, I purchased a York YCJD 24 2.0 TON AC this afternoon.

$2,480, installed, incl taxes.

10 Year parts/labour warranty.

$1,500 less than my first two quotes, and they were Goodman AC's.

Read some reviews on the system...like all reviews, some were good, some were bad. Only time will tell.

At least it was in our price range...

Thanks for all the help folks. Being installed this Thursday.

Well, I purchased a York YCJD 24 2.0 TON AC this afternoon.

$2,480, installed, incl taxes.

10 Year parts/labour warranty.

$1,500 less than my first two quotes, and they were Goodman AC's.

Read some reviews on the system...like all reviews, some were good, some were bad. Only time will tell.

At least it was in our price range...

Thanks for all the help folks. Being installed this Thursday.

The new York stuff is really good and the price sounds fair too.....good shopping!