Horrible Product

Fisherman

First time I tried that last night and after this mornings screaming flameout, it reminded me I had to post this. I find some of the Frish Crisp products okay, regular and beer batter, the best, but, this had to be by far the worst fish coating I've ever tried. I hate to throw food out, but even after scraping off the outide, the insides of the perch still tasted like hell. I would rather dip them in fresh runny cowpaddies and deep fry than use that stuff again. :angry:

Guest lundboy

Does Rocky Madsen still own that company and produce/develop the flavours or has he washed his hands of it and it's now some corporate product line?

First time I tried that last night and after this mornings screaming flameout, it reminded me I had to post this. I find some of the Frish Crisp products okay, regular and beer batter, the best, but, this had to be by far the worst fish coating I've ever tried. I hate to throw food out, but even after scraping off the outide, the insides of the perch still tasted like hell. I would rather dip them in fresh runny cowpaddies and deep fry than use that stuff again. :angry:

I agree, i would rather use stale bread crumbs than that maple smoke or wine/herb fish crisp.

You guys kill me. Although the gourmet grill coating mix says its for all fish , the only fish it really tastes good on is salmon and trout. why you would ever ruin a good walleye or perch fillet is beyond me. :wacko: . I have tried the Jamaican jerk and the herb one which are pretty good on the BBQ but not the maple yet ( and maybe never now). If you get a chance try Uncle Bucks . I think you can get it at BPS.

Well if it's mainly intended for salmon/trout, maybe they should say, you poor unsuspecting will be extemely dissatisfied if you use it on "other" fish and your hard won perch fillets will taste like a skunks "O" ring.

Well if it's mainly intended for salmon/trout, maybe they should say, you poor unsuspecting will be extemely dissatisfied if you use it on "other" fish and your hard won perch fillets will taste like a skunks "O" ring.

LOL :clapping: That's too funny. :D

I used the stuff this past weekend for the first time. That stuff is bunk. Stuff tastes awfull. I'm glad I only tried it on three peices. Tastes like it was fried in the dirty 10 year old oil of one of those roadside french fry trucks. Fish crisp blows.

Oh my God! I've got tears in my eyes from laughing!

I love the regular and Cajun and this past weekend tried the Uncle Bucks original from BPS. It is similar to Cajun Fish Crisp only a little milder. It was awesome!

Edited by Spiel

Does Rocky Madsen still own that company and produce/develop the flavours or has he washed his hands of it and it's now some corporate product line?

Heres your answer LB............................

Georgina Advocate

Feb 7, 2007

(Georgina) - Georgina's Fish Crisp has been purchased by Canadian food giant McCormick and Company, Fish Crisp president and chief executive officer Patrick Burrows said this week.

Assets of the Pefferlaw company are being purchased as an ongoing business, including sales, marketing and distribution of the popular seasoned batter brand.

"Our vision has always been for McCormick Canada to take Fish Crisp to the next level," Mr. Burrows said.

"McCormick has a strong reputation, solid distribution network and commitment to innovation to achieve our vision."

Mr. Burrows said he is "really excited" about McCormick's commitment to ensure long-term growth of the company.

McCormick Canada will work closely with Fish Crisp Enterprises to ensure a smooth transition, he said.

The purchase makes sense for his company, McCormick president Keith Gibbons said.

"Fish Crisp offers the right mix of products to complement our seafood offering and the products are in line with our strategy to explore new distribution channels and deliver popular brands to our partners. This is the opportunity we have been looking for to expand this part of our business."

The company has been moved to London, ON and seven local employees have been given severance packages, Fish Crisp vice-president Scot Davidson said.

The building off Hwy. 48, owned by Mr. Burrows and Mr. Davidson, is now available to lease.

Mr. Burrows and Mr. Davidson bought Fish Crisp from inventor Rocky Madsen and greatly increased its product line and retail reach.

McCormick and Company is a global leader in the manufacturing, marketing and distribution of spices, seasonings and flavours to the food industry.

I like the original and the Cajun thats it. Now that the big market owns it,I have a feeling it will go down hill IMO.

I know everyone has their own favorite and I have tried them all, but this one by far is the best fish batter I have ever tried.

This is like the batter you get at the fish and chip store.

Follow the recipe to a tee and you will not be let down.

Let me know what you think!!!

Yield: 4 servings

2 lbs Walleye or Crappie fillets

oil for deep frying

1 egg

1 c lager beer

2 tb vegetable oil

1 1/4 c flour

1 ts black pepper

1 ts salt

1/2 ts cayenne pepper

Put oil in dutch oven or other deep pot to a depth of at least 3".

Set over medium-high flame. Cut fillets into pieces about 2"x4".

In a bowl, mix egg, beer and 2 TBL oil together. Stir in flour and

spices.

Mix until batter is smooth; it should be a little runny. When oil

is hot (350-360F degrees), dip fish into batter with tongs or

fingers, allowing excess batter to drip back into the bowl. Gently

place fish in the oil and cook until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.

Do not crowd fish; cook in batches. Drain on paper towels and serve

immediately.

Use dark beer for stronger flavor. Don't skimp on oil, and use a

large pot, not a skillet. Use a skimmer between batches to remove

burned bits of batter. Pat fish dry before dipping into the batter.

Cheers

Stan

Guest Johnny Bass

I was THIS close to buying Maple smoke a few days ago but opted to wait for honey roasted garlic!!!

I was gonna take your advice and try Uncle buck'as but if it tastes like Cajun fish crisp? Not interested. I did not like Cajun fish Crisp. Still have to try the Origional though.

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Guest lundboy
Heres your answer LB............................

Georgina Advocate

Feb 7, 2007

(Georgina) - Georgina's Fish Crisp has been purchased by Canadian food giant McCormick and Company, Fish Crisp president and chief executive officer Patrick Burrows said this week.

Assets of the Pefferlaw company are being purchased as an ongoing business, including sales, marketing and distribution of the popular seasoned batter brand.

"Our vision has always been for McCormick Canada to take Fish Crisp to the next level," Mr. Burrows said.

"McCormick has a strong reputation, solid distribution network and commitment to innovation to achieve our vision."

Mr. Burrows said he is "really excited" about McCormick's commitment to ensure long-term growth of the company.

McCormick Canada will work closely with Fish Crisp Enterprises to ensure a smooth transition, he said.

The purchase makes sense for his company, McCormick president Keith Gibbons said.

"Fish Crisp offers the right mix of products to complement our seafood offering and the products are in line with our strategy to explore new distribution channels and deliver popular brands to our partners. This is the opportunity we have been looking for to expand this part of our business."

The company has been moved to London, ON and seven local employees have been given severance packages, Fish Crisp vice-president Scot Davidson said.

The building off Hwy. 48, owned by Mr. Burrows and Mr. Davidson, is now available to lease.

Mr. Burrows and Mr. Davidson bought Fish Crisp from inventor Rocky Madsen and greatly increased its product line and retail reach.

McCormick and Company is a global leader in the manufacturing, marketing and distribution of spices, seasonings and flavours to the food industry.

I like the original and the Cajun thats it. Now that the big market owns it,I have a feeling it will go down hill IMO.

Thanks MF...

I thought something like this happened when I saw all those "Gourmet" flavours come out last year. I never really liked the original, so I never tried the new ones. Good old flour and seasoning salt tastes pretty good to me, cheap too.

I had suspicions when I fished with Rocky at a tournament about 2 years ago when he said that him and his wife started a "wine making business" and he gave me one of his cards. I thought he must have become a born again wine connoisseur ;)

I didn't ask about Fish Crisp because he still had it plastered all over his boat and truck so I thought he must still have the business.

Edited by lundboy

Well if it's mainly intended for salmon/trout, maybe they should say, you poor unsuspecting dude will be extemely dissatisfied if you use it on "other" fish and your hard won perch fillets will taste like a skunks "O" ring.

I have never tried any of the fish crisp products so I can't offer an opinion on them but the above comment has brought tears to my eyes and I just can't stop laughing...thank you sooo much for that!!

bly