Lakes across Canada face being turned into mine dump sites

tb4me

This has been going on for 7 years now in some places..Now they want to ruin prime fishing waters for tailing dump sites..Harper is perfectly ok with this crap..When will they stop? When we dont have any fresh water left..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/lakes-across-canada-face-being-turned-into-mine-dump-sites-1.733972

Lakes proposed for use as mine tailings ponds: Since the introduction of Schedule Two of mining effluent regulations under the Fisheries Act, in 2002, 16 lakes have been proposed for reclassification as tailings dumps.

Four of the 16 are already being used as dumps — all in Newfoundland. Two of those are at the Duck Pond Mine and the other two are older mines due to be brought under Schedule Two retroactively.

Only one of the 16 — Kemess North in B.C. — has been turned down. Eight are to be decided in the coming year.

B.C.:

• Kemess North - Duncan Lake - REJECTED.
  • Kutcho Creek - Andrea Creek.
  • Ruby Creek - Ruby Creek watershed.
  • Prosperity - Fish Lake.
  • Red Chris.
  • Mount Milligan.

Manitoba:

• Bucko Lake.

Newfoundland and Labrador:

• Duck Pond Mine - Trout Pond and Gill's Brook.
  • Carol Mine - Wabush Lake.
  • Wabush Mine - Flora Lake.
  • Long Harbour - Sandy Pond.

Northwest Territories:

• Winter Lake.

Nunavut:

• Doris North Project - Tail Lake.
  • Meadowbank - Second Portage Lake.
  • High Lake.
Edited by tb4me

this statement got me fired right up......

"This is a precedent-setting decision by the federal government to start using fish-bearing habitat as a waste management area," Bourquin said. "It's totally bizarre for the federal government to come here and say that this Y-shaped valley up here is no longer a fish habitat, it's no longer sacred headwaters, it's just a waste dump site."

This has been going on for 7 years now in some places..Now they want to ruin prime fishing waters for tailing dump sites..Harper is perfectly ok with this crap..When will they stop? When we dont have any fresh water left..http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/lakes-across-canada-face-being-turned-into-mine-dump-sites-1.733972

Lakes proposed for use as mine tailings ponds: Since the introduction of Schedule Two of mining effluent regulations under the Fisheries Act, in 2002, 16 lakes have been proposed for reclassification as tailings dumps.

Four of the 16 are already being used as dumps — all in Newfoundland. Two of those are at the Duck Pond Mine and the other two are older mines due to be brought under Schedule Two retroactively.

Only one of the 16 — Kemess North in B.C. — has been turned down. Eight are to be decided in the coming year.

B.C.:

• Kemess North - Duncan Lake - REJECTED.
  • Kutcho Creek - Andrea Creek.
  • Ruby Creek - Ruby Creek watershed.
  • Prosperity - Fish Lake.
  • Red Chris.
  • Mount Milligan.
Manitoba:

• Bucko Lake.
Newfoundland and Labrador:

• Duck Pond Mine - Trout Pond and Gill's Brook.
  • Carol Mine - Wabush Lake.
  • Wabush Mine - Flora Lake.
  • Long Harbour - Sandy Pond.
Northwest Territories:

• Winter Lake.
Nunavut:

• Doris North Project - Tail Lake.
  • Meadowbank - Second Portage Lake.
  • High Lake.

this statement got me fired right up......

"This is a precedent-setting decision by the federal government to start using fish-bearing habitat as a waste management area," Bourquin said. "It's totally bizarre for the federal government to come here and say that this Y-shaped valley up here is no longer a fish habitat, it's no longer sacred headwaters, it's just a waste dump site."

Thanks for posting TB, very informative. Major concerns here especially considering the long term:

"Once they do the mine, they’re going to leave, and we're the people who are going to live with that. Not me, but my grandchildren, the small little kids like this. That's who's going to live with the pollution."

However after reading the news link, I did fail to see the direct reference to "Harper is perfectly ok with this crap." ?????

Yes it has John... every town on the Rideau did it with their garbage until it suddenly became wrong to do so.

I think the main thing is we all know better these days, but some continue to be allowed to make money doing so if it suits the share holders pocket..... while the rest of us pay to dispose of stuff properly (me $161 at the transfer station today with garbage and drywall from the son's house)

• Commerce before health
  • Commerce before the environment
  • Commerce before recreation
  • Commerce before the community

This is a song that has been sung many times before and will continue to be sung until there is nothing left. Will that be the Baby Boomers generations legacy to our country. Unfortunately I believe it may be. How can we change our tune?

edit: that CBC report is from 2008, I wonder what the lakes and rivers effected look like today?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

edit: that CBC report is from 2008, I wonder what the lakes and rivers effected look like today?

Yikes, I didnt realize it was that old....Got snagged into it on FB.. But yes I do wonder what it looks like now.