byng island grand river fishing

huzzsaba

So I am looking at booking a waterfront site at Byng Island in late may after the start of walleye season so that I can fish from the site. The sites are on the west side of the island and where the smaller section of the grand river runs around byng island. Do these small sections of river hold fish? I would guess they do but want to make sureI am not fishing a spot that holds no fish. Something is better than nothing!

They were transferring big Walleye from below the dam to the upper section last spring. So I know there are Walleye up there. We have caught big cats in May when spring was late, like this year but above he dam the sizes were not like the monsters below the dam. You will catch fish, what who knows? That is one of the fun things on the \grand, you never know what you will catch. You may even get into the Mooneye run, they are a blast to get into. They are a type of large shad that hit every and any thing when they are running.

If the cats aren't along the bank undercuts look for deep holes and you will find cats. We use shrimp not rotting chicken livers and pickled rotting shad. If you want some of the stinky stuff go across the bridge to Fishmasters Marina, they sell Steves catfish concoction as well as minnows and worms. I they are one of maybe 2 baitshops in the area now, The other is Flats bait and Ice Cream shop right across from the Maitland pier parking lot.

Are you bringing or renting a boat? If you aren't you are hamstrung as far as what you will catch from shore. If you don't have a boat PM me and I will tell you of a few spots along the river where you will need permission from the owner to fish.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks for the replies. I will be shore fishing and I think I found my favourite bucktail jig that I will try since I can launch that pretty far in case there is nothing close to the bank. Although the ones I picked up are a little heavy, I will have to pick up some that are smaller.

can a bucktail jig be used for most fish as in keep it as my go to lure? I like the feel of it while in the water and the fact that it is good for weeds.