Cosy Cove Cottages - reviews on fishing?

icefisherman

Friend just booked week in July at Cosy Cove Cottages on Nippising....and is trying to get me to do the same...when I do summer vacation issue number 1 is if fishing is excellent....if not I don't bother as I have plenty of places to go where it is....so would appreciate if others have been there and can share experience how fishing is and how the place itself is.. Will be dragging my boat there with full down rigging equipment on it.

Lots of walleye I hope?;-)

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Fishing can be good there but downrigging is not popular.

Only the bay that Cozy Cove is on would be a realistic area for downrigging.

More of a flatlining or casting type of lake.

Excellent resort to stay at.

Walleye, pike & muskie are the most targeted fish there.

Can get out on the lake on days you would be blown off of Nippissing.

Emil, I can only tell you of my experience at Cosy Cove. We stayed there way back in 98'. We were there in July as well and the fishing for Walleye and Smallmouth was excellent. I never targeted Pike or Musky. You leave downriggers at home when hitting Nippising. Slow trolling with worm harnesses with a 3 way swivel and bottom bouncing for Walleye not a 10 minute boat ride from the docks. There is a large shoal straight out from the camp. We casted crank baits for Smallies with great success. Also jigged while drifting around Iron Island that is straight out from the camp too, I think it was called Iron Island.

I would leave downriggers home, I always said if I ever went back to Nipp for Walleye I might drag Dipsy's or Jet Divers for better depth control. If, in my opinion, you downrigger fish someone is going to loose a few balls. It has many shoals that come up fast, just ask my Uncle from western NY that got his old 20 foot wooden beast hung up on a shoal. It took us forever to get that boat off that shoal with out ripping the bottom of the boat up, one lucky Yank he was that day. With excellent GPS that we didn't have then downrigging "might" be an option but I don't think there is a need for it. 40 feet of water is the deepest there if memory serves me right. A long time ago.

I hope the fishing as well as the accommodations are as good now as it was back then.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

If you just want walleye and lots for the shore lunch, Joe's advice might be best. If you are just going for the experience of a good time with friends and family with a mixed bag of fishing, you'll be fine. I know the outfitters on Nipissing would greatly appreciate the business.

Copied from the regs.

Closed to all species from Mar. 16 - Fri. before 3rd Sat. in May & Dec. 1 - Dec. 31. Walleye and yellow perch open from

Jan. 1 - Mar. 15 & 3rd Sat. in May - Oct.15.

Walleye S-2, none less than 46 cm (18.1 in.)

and C - 1, none less than 46 cm (18.1 in.)

Largemouth and smallmouth bass open

from 3rd Saturday in June - November 30.

Muskellunge open from 3rd Saturday in

June – November 30.

Northern pike S - 4, not more than 2

greater than 61 cm (24 in.), of which not

more than 1 is greater than 86 cm (33.9in.)

and C - 2, not more than 1 greater

than 61 cm (24 in.), none greater than 86cm (33.9 in.).

Edited by fishnsled