Kicker Fuel Line Options.

KraTToR

I'm just wrapping up the installation of my new 9.9 Prokicker and I'm contemplating what to do with the fuel line.

Some recommendations are to simply use a tee fitting off the main engine's line, others state that a select switch/valve is the best way to go.

Has anyone on here had their dealer or manufacturer rig this for them?

Would you mind sharing pictures?

My current path is to tee off the main line.

FYI, the main motor is a '13 merc 150 4s w/ fuel ingections.

Kicker is a '15 merc 9.9 prokicker w/ carb. The kicker fuel line comes with a check valve and a priming bulb.

TIA!

I run a Racor fuel filter system that has dual inlets and outlets like this one from Sierra.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierra--fuel-water-separator-kit-1-4-stainless-for-yamaha-outboard-motors--5327093?green=AAD15C8E-D1A3-511C-BA5C-3A62F7BC0EFD&cm_sp=Onsite-Recs-_-MB-_-PDP

5327093.jpg

​I have an auxiliary 12 gallon tank I run on long trips but don't use the dual inlets as I put in a 3 way valve so I can run off either the rear or front tanks separately. With the two line out ports, one goes to the main and one to the kicker.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

The only issue with a 3-way valve (on the main fuel line) is that you cannot run both motors at once if you ever needed to (for example I sometime run my main for a bit to charge the battery while trolling with the kicker or if you want to start and warm up you kicker while the main is running). The fuel separator setup is good but it may be overkill in your case as you already have a filter/separator built in the main motor (and I think in the Pro-kicker as well but I may be wrong).

There is a simpler way that lots of guys use (myself included). Just tee off the main line and have a primer bulb in hose to each engine. The primers have check valves built inside them (that's how they work) which prevents one motor robbing the other and both can run at once.

Edited by G.mech

The 3 way valve in my installation does not isolate the the engines, just the tanks from each other.

This way I know if running on the aux tank and I run out of fuel I still have 22 gallons in my main tank.

I could have just plumbed the second tank into the aux input but then wouldn't have the control over where the fuel is coming from that I wanted. The unused port has a brass plug threaded into it. The housing came with two of these incase you only have one tank and motor.

Capture_zpsbfycje80.jpg

Dave is there any particular model, see through or not filter you're using. I'm toying with the idea of mounting one just to be on the safe side. Mines a 40 Yama 4 strk.

I'm using a Racor with see through bowl and dual inlets/outlets.

Don't know the exact model but it's similar to this one but it has the dual inlet/outlets and this only looks like it has single.

I went into West Marine and looked through what they had in stock and picked one with the dual ports.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor--10-micron-spin-on-series-fuel-filter-water-separator-o-b-320--484964

484964.jpg

The 3 way valve in my installation does not isolate the the engines, just the tanks from each other.

This way I know if running on the aux tank and I run out of fuel I still have 22 gallons in my main tank.

I could have just plumbed the second tank into the aux input but then wouldn't have the control over where the fuel is coming from that I wanted. The unused port has a brass plug threaded into it. The housing came with two of these incase you only have one tank and motor.

That is a perfect setup if you have two tanks but I am thinking that the OP has a single tank and wants to connect his 150 and 9.9 to the same tank which is kind of opposite to what you were setting up...

I'm just wrapping up the installation of my new 9.9 Prokicker and I'm contemplating what to do with the fuel line.

Some recommendations are to simply use a tee fitting off the main engine's line, others state that a select switch/valve is the best way to go.

Has anyone on here had their dealer or manufacturer rig this for them?

Would you mind sharing pictures?

My current path is to tee off the main line.

FYI, the main motor is a '13 merc 150 4s w/ fuel ingections.

Kicker is a '15 merc 9.9 prokicker w/ carb. The kicker fuel line comes with a check valve and a priming bulb.

TIA!

I have the exact same motor combination on my boat. Rigged it myself. I just teed into the main line like you're suggesting. Nice and clean with no issues whatsoever.

That is a perfect setup if you have two tanks but I am thinking that the OP has a single tank and wants to connect his 150 and 9.9 to the same tank which is kind of opposite to what you were setting up...

Why would you need dual tanks? One line from the tank to the fuel separator, then two lines off the separator to both engines. That's exactly how mine is run. No issues running both engines at the same time, etc.

Dead simple.

I have the exact same motor combination on my boat. Rigged it myself. I just teed into the main line like you're suggesting. Nice and clean with no issues whatsoever.

Just for confirmation, do you have a bulb and/or check valve on the big motor's fuel line? Mine came with neither.

also, thanks for everyone's input :)

Why would you need dual tanks? One line from the tank to the fuel separator, then two lines off the separator to both engines. That's exactly how mine is run. No issues running both engines at the same time, etc.

Dead simple.

You don't, that's my point. I never suggested that you do need two tanks. The drawing Drifter 016 provided that I was referring to is for a two tank setup and what the OP wants is a single tank to two engines (at least I think that is the case). His set up is great for his purpose but doesn't really apply if the OP has a single tank. The separator idea you suggest is fine if you need a separator but if you have them built on the engines anyway why add more complexity when a simple tee will do??

Edited by G.mech

Just for confirmation, do you have a bulb and/or check valve on the big motor's fuel line? Mine came with neither.

A primer bulb between the tee and each motor is all you need unless you want the additional separator/filter in which case Bill M's idea is fine too.

You don't, that's my point. I never suggested that you do need two tanks. The drawing Drifter 016 provided that I was referring to is for a two tank setup and what the OP wants is a single tank to two engines (at least I think that is the case). His set up is great for his purpose but doesn't really apply if the OP has a single tank. The separator idea you suggest is fine if you need a separator but if you have them built on the engines anyway why add more complexity when a simple tee will do??

After I looked back at DAves pic I figured out what you were talking about :) There are engines with built in water/fuel separators? I know they've got normal fuel filters (Like both of mine do).

It applies perfectly. Just remove the aux tank and 3 way valve from the equation and the OP will have what he wants.

It applies perfectly. Just remove the aux tank and 3 way valve from the equation and the OP will have what he wants.

Okay, now we're all straightened out once and for all!!! Sorry for my part in the misunderstanding :good:

The FI Mercs have a built in filter / water separator on board and I'm almost certain the Yammies do as well. I'm not sure about the 9.9 pro-kicker though, my 8HP just has an in-line filter inside. In any case, if the OP is worried about the kicker and has room to put the additional separator it's a good way to go but the 3 way valve to me is not a great way to go....

I'm going fishing now....Lookout Detroit!

Edited by G.mech

There isn't a ball on the main motor's fuel line. I can't remember what the dealer's response was when I asked about it.

Don't add a primer ball to the fuel line on the 150. Priming them can ruin the fuel pump canister. As BillM said adding water separator is the easiest to hook up fuel lines. The filters on the motors are really just fuel filters not water separators. I install many water separators on four stroke engines at work.

Edited by Fishabout

. The filters on the motors are really just fuel filters not water separators. I install many water separators on four stroke engines at work.

They truly are a water separator on the FI Mercs, they even have an electronic water lever sensor built in them that alarms if it senses water in the separator bowl. They also come with a primer bulb on the main line from the factory....

They truly are a water separator on the FI Mercs, they even have an electronic water lever sensor built in them that alarms if it senses water in the separator bowl. They also come with a primer bulb on the main line from the factory....

Mine did not come with a primer bulb and in the installation instructions it said not to install one.

It has 2 fuel pumps a lift pump which primes the system and a high pressure pump that supplies the fuel injectors with fuel.

Maybe on smaller FI engines this could be the case.

My 2013 115HP 4 stroke also does not have a built in water separator as far as I know just an inline fuel filter.

Of course I could be wrong here as it's been many months since I was under the cowling. ;)

Next month she will come out for preseason maintenance though. :D

You'll be glad you have a "primer bulb" the day your lift pump float switch calls it a day.... so that you can get home. Don't ask how I know this.. No need to use it any other time, but when your fuel module (that is mounted under the covers below the water line) has no fuel in it, that pump bulb will get you home 5 squeezes at a time! It can't hurt the operation of the engine with the pump just sucking fuel through the bulb and the worst you can do (at least on a Verado) is overfill the canister and get an alarm on your Smart gauges.

Verado has a water separator that holds about a litre of water if need be and then another fine filter on the HP line. The 9.9 Pro Kicker has a simple fuel filter and no water separator. Generally shouldn't be an issue if your big engine has one... as it should have sucked the water out of the tank on the way to your fishing spot! :dunno:

OP's original question... if the boat wasn't supplied with a kicker outlet, cut the hose to the main engine, put a T in it and feed the kicker. There's no rocket science needed, unless you want a water separator as Dave and Bill have shown.

Edited by irishfield

Mercury does not recommended a primer bulb due to the engine having no mechanical float. If you never use the primer bulb you would be fine. I believe on the 150hp efi (non verado) has no water separator on the motor. There is a water seprator fuel filter kit for that engine that is a add on. As a certified mercury tech I recommended the water separator as neither outboard have a water separator built into them especially the crappy ethanol in the fuel these days. Just need to replace a spin on filter once a year.

Edited by Fishabout