Snapping Turtles

Man some of the lakes we swim in have huge snapping turtles. Always kinda been a fear of mine to lose a toe or worse lol.

As a child i found a shell up on the beach when we were camping. I though wow that would be awesome to bring home!

Turned out hornets thought it would be awesome to make INTO a home!

Not cool hornets, not cool

Here's what beavertail means by the baby snappers, they are incredible:

image_zpsvguwkgbc.jpg

I seem to find a lot of them crossing the road in the early summer (no dont worry I'm not like the duck lady, I pull off to the shoulder with hazard lights on lol)

Also caught a water snake and a star nosed mole on some country roads last summer, those are pretty much my weirdest catches.

image_zpsukv4ov7e.jpg

Yes, they are a species at risk; does seem odd that it's still legal to harvest them. Picking large ones up by the tail can damage their spine. I move dozens of them every year, and have found the best way is to grab the top shell, above the hind legs, and drag them backwards. Lots of folks up here carry a shovel in the spring to scoop them off the road.

When I catch them on land, I HOLD the tail to keep them relatively still and slip my other hand under the shell from behind. The tail is still held, but only to help balance it on my hand. There is no strain to the legs or tail. They cannot easily claw you with their back legs.

Hanging them vertically by the tail cannot be good for them. Neither is grabbing a bass by the lip and holding it horizontally or grabbing a pike by the eyes.

Normally, though, I leave the turtles alone. I have a soft spot for all turtles. I'm really kinda fascinated by the snappers, because they seem to be more like living dinosaurs than other turtle species. I haven't seen many snappers lately and more Midland Painted ones, but then again, the opposite is true some years. Just depends where I am, I guess.