Toronto Ice Fishing - Once in a life time event

AKRISONER

my intent was to not venture far off the island on the outside. that is, if it freezes up and isnt an ice flow.

They break the channels between the harbour and the island for the ferries to run, but the south west side of the island should be untouched.

Once again, this is all very hypothetical and I dont plan on being the first person out there.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the south shore of the islands.. Unless you get a killer freeze up and you can venture safely out to the salmon/trout zone..

The inner channel at center Island would have plenty of safe ice, you'd be somewhat sheltered, and there are pike and perch to be had, albeit in small numbers..

Also, all the fish I've iced in and around the harbour came during low light conditions, like at first light or on a overcast day. Focus on offshore structure or to a steep incline in depth, relating to open water.

cheers

HD

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the south shore of the islands.. Unless you get a killer freeze up and you can venture safely out to the salmon/trout zone..

The inner channel at center Island would have plenty of safe ice, you'd be somewhat sheltered, and there are pike and perch to be had, albeit in small numbers..

Also, all the fish I've iced in and around the harbour came during low light conditions, like at first light or on a overcast day. Focus on offshore structure or to a steep incline in depth, relating to open water.

cheers

HD

High drifter, have you been out into the harbour, or did you stay within the island channels?

That's a risky adventure! Plus it'll be a decent trek to get out there not too mention no one around if things go array. I've ice fished the harbour a few times, but protected areas. I put a foot through a few years ago.... I was on 14 inches, walked 15 yards to drill a hole and put a foot through an inch of ice. Scared the crap out of me and have been extra cautious since. I wouldn't risk it out there.

I would want the lake to be completely frozen from shore to shore before I head out south of the islands. A mile or two of ice can break up pretty fast when there are twenty or so miles of open water out there.

If there was a two or three week cold snap after the lake froze solid from shore to shore, then maybe it would be worth testing the ice for safety. I would want a group of people spread out with float suits over wet suits, ice pics, ropes, etc.

I think that ice forming over an area that does not usually freeze would be much less predictable than ice in areas that usually freeze every year. I believe that the west end of the lake did freeze completely many years ago. One day the lake could be crossed on the ice; the next day the ice was gone.

You need a bunch of guys from Owen Sound to test the ice for you.

When I used to fish Owen Sound, those <<<ahem>>>> LUNATICS would be out on an inch of ice. One time a buddy suggested we fish at the mouth of the Pottowotami, so off we went. I asked him where his spud was. He said we wouldn't need it - silly me, I figured there must be lots of holes from other folks fishing. So we got onto the Pot, with RUNNING WATER beneath us, and he kicked a hole in the ice with his heel and started jigging. I practically crapped myself and got the hell out of Dodge, RIGHT NOW. Ice fishing on less than an inch of ice over running water, just not my idea of a good time......

If any of you members are here from Owen Sound, yes it is me, THAT Doug................ :canadian: and let the record show I no longer own an Argo.............

Doug

Edited by akaShag