65th Birthday Trip - seeking input from experience

big guy

My brother, brother-in-law (who will be turning 65) and myself have started the early planning stages of a trip for 2016 to celebrate his "old age". We plan on doing this when we all turn the same age, he will be the first, I'm still a long way off. The reason for the early start is try and book this year, hoping to secure 2015 rates.

Anyway, I have started looking for camps and began looking in the Wawa to Chapleau area off of #101 and have come across several that look good. Looking at housekeeping rates in the $300 per week per person range, would like good fishing, I know pike are generally cooperative, but would like to fish a lake where a man could get a limit of pickerel every day, bass, lakers and whitefish would be nice as well. Want a lake that has some fishable water even on windy days. Also looking at a mid September timeline, to increase our chances of catching whitefish.

So far the list I have started includes camps on Windermere Lake, Como Lake, Dog Lake and one that looks very interesting on Murray Lake on the way to Dog Lake. They seem to be in the process of upgrading their cabins and the rates are good and the lake does as well.

I am looking for input who from anyone who has fished this area, where did you stay, or if you actually stayed at the resorts on the lakes listed above. Or... recommendations of another area/place to go with the same sort of driving range (10-12 hrs). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Windermere is a great choice within your driving range and very reasonably priced as well.

For a bit more money the outpost camp on Wenebegon Lake is a gem. They take you in with ATV's for that one:

http://www.fivemilelake.com/chapleau-outpost-camps.htm

Beyond that if you want to bump your budget up a little I can get you a great deal on a fly in trip in the same region.

I was hoping you would reply, thanks very much.

I have been interested in the Wenebegon cabin for a few years now, having fished Wakami a couple of times, I know the area a little bit and have always wondered if there was a way in to Wenebegon in order to camp there. Problem with paying to go in is our budget, two of us aren't exactly rich and it would be difficult to put that kind of money away and save for the additional costs of the trip as well, food, gas etc.

Out of curiousity though, what would it cost for the fly-in you mention? Feel free to PM me if you want.

For what you get (flight, cabin, boat, motor, gas) I think flying in is a sweet deal. A drive in camp you either trailer your own boat or rent one, and pay for gas. Factoring this in, the prices are pretty close. Mike is the guy to talk to for help and good deals.

The fishing is far better flying in, compared to driving in to Windermere or Como IMO.

Happy Day- nice owners/ camp/ prices, the fishing is disappointing, limit of pickerel everyday, not going to happen

I was hoping you would reply, thanks very much.

I have been interested in the Wenebegon cabin for a few years now, having fished Wakami a couple of times, I know the area a little bit and have always wondered if there was a way in to Wenebegon in order to camp there. Problem with paying to go in is our budget, two of us aren't exactly rich and it would be difficult to put that kind of money away and save for the additional costs of the trip as well, food, gas etc.

Out of curiousity though, what would it cost for the fly-in you mention? Feel free to PM me if you want.

PM sent

Looking at other options that are more reasonably priced I've heard great things about Woods Cabins on Oba Lake. It's accessed via train (assuming the ACR is still running!) and is kind of like a fly in but without the huge cost.

http://woodscabins.com/

Wenebegon is a gem. .

I agree, this lake is fantastic.

Ive got some funny looks from the fly in groups while fishing that lake.

I've never stayed in the cabins. I've only camped on trips there but I can vouch for the outstanding walleye fishing.

Good luck on your search.

TDunn

For what you get (flight, cabin, boat, motor, gas) I think flying in is a sweet deal. A drive in camp you either trailer your own boat or rent one, and pay for gas. Factoring this in, the prices are pretty close. Mike is the guy to talk to for help and good deals.

The fishing is far better flying in, compared to driving in to Windermere or Como IMO.

Happy Day- nice owners/ camp/ prices, the fishing is disappointing, limit of pickerel everyday, not going to happen

Thanks for your input Chris, very iinteresting comments

I agree, this lake is fantastic.

Ive got some funny looks from the fly in groups while fishing that lake.

I've never stayed in the cabins. I've only camped on trips there but I can vouch for the outstanding walleye fishing.

Good luck on your search.

TDunn

PM sent

Now that I've hit 60 my bucket or things I should have already done lists are being checked off. I can't help you for the specific areas, the furthest I have been is Long Lac area and only caught 1 Whitefish that turned out to be a giant sucker anyway.

When making a bucket list for all the up and coming milestones make sure they are very long lists.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I've heard good things about Flindt Landing Camp, another train in fishing camp. Not sure if you can hop on the train at Hornepayne or not though. Otherwise you catch it in Armstrong.

I fished Windermere two years ago in the summer. It's a nice lake. Fishing is decent, but not like fying in. No clue on whitefish. I'd go back, but would stay at the outpost so I wouldn't have to boat so far to find the fish! The rates at Happy Day are really good too. You'll have a hard time finding better.