Crown Land accessibility petition

big guy

Probably well known on here, but for those who don't, please read below and I hope you sign the petition. Let's keep ALL Crown Land accessibile for ALL to enjoy.

Thanks very much

Legisitave Assembly of Ontario: Have MNR give equal acess to all lakes : We call on you to protect our lands and lakes equally for all people.

OntORA supports a variety of access restrictions and road closures for selected areas of public land and special wilderness areas where it can be proven scientifically that human presence has a significant and permanent detrimental effect on the environment.

All parks should contain areas of remote wilderness for walk-in and canoe adventure. There should also be areas for other levels of ability such as interior car parks and areas accessible only by off road vehicles (ORV). However, this public land should be protected equally for all people – not reserved for special access by tourist outfitters and their select clientele.

OntORA www.ontora.ca believes that all public land should be enjoyed by all Canadians, regardless of income, social status, or political affiliation. Currently, most of the people in Ontario are being restricted from accessing thousands of pristine lakes on Crown land due to the MNR’s unnecessary road closures.

Many of our members are avid Ontario fishing, hunting, and camping enthusiasts. As such, on many occasions they enjoy hiking and canoeing into wilderness areas. On other occasions they might also enjoy riding an ATV or driving their camper trailer into a remote lake to do some fishing with their grandchildren.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Legisitave_Assembly_of_Ontario_Have_MNR_give_equal_acess_to_all_lakes_We_call_on_you_to_protect_our_lands_and_lakes_equa/?tUzDWib

I'm all for everyone enjoying crown land, but why were the roads blocked in the first place? Simply because outfitters want to ensure anyone visiting these areas will be forced to fork over some cash or were the roads closed off and the outfitters were able to gain access after the fact?

Edited by ch312

Yep... flyin lakes, the logging company comes in, leaves and doesn't immediately remove the road (as they were supposed to) and all of a sudden it's "public access" to the crown land.

In that example, the camp operator had a fair chunk of change and a Lease occupation permit in place for "his" lake. It didn't exclude someone else, like myself, from dropping in on the lake and fishing or someone from slugging through the bush to do the same, but I will not "drop in" on a lake that I know has a commercial lease occupation permit going on. Not fair to the paying customers or the outfitter. There are lots of other lakes in Ontario, with no need to feel the need to get on these ones.

NOW.. on the "back" lakes that have had pubic roads to them for many years (those assumed by a municipality) and are now closed and blockaided to keep people out, so some can enjoy an overpriced retreat. I have issue with that.

Edited by irishfield

Yep... flyin lakes, the logging company comes in, leaves and doesn't immediately remove the road (as they were supposed to) and all of a sudden it's "public access" to the crown land.

In that example, the camp operator had a fair chunk of change and a Lease occupation permit in place for "his" lake. It didn't exclude someone else, like myself, from dropping in on the lake and fishing or someone from slugging through the bush to do the same, but I will not "drop in" on a lake that I know has a commercial lease occupation permit going on. Not fair to the paying customers or the outfitter. There are lots of other lakes in Ontario, with no need to feel the need to get on these ones.

NOW.. on the "back" lakes that have had pubic roads to them for many years (those assumed by a municipality) and are now closed and blockaided to keep people out, so some can enjoy an overpriced retreat. I have issue with that.

You've said it all, no need to repeat. :)

it screwed me the other way

I had a back lake I went to for years on an atv, long drive never easy to get to

logging company came in put a logging road in pretty much along our trail

and that is where the problem started, they put the road right beside 2 lakes...mnr shut them down , too close to the lakes and put up no motorized vehicle signs all along the new road in

now I have a 4 hour walk in

It's not just the MNR keeping you from accessing crown land it's the logging companies as well. In my area an American logging company has bought whole townships and made them private. Any roads or lakes that previously existed in the township are now private and you will get charged for trespassing. I'm a small outfitter and had to sign liability waivers and contracts to access my camp and that is for one road all the others are even blocked for me. It sort of irritates me that our government allows this to happen.