cooking thread...

combine some righteous sales with a birthday and we have a fine feed for less than a pizza for four

fired up the barbie for a hunk and some scallops

IMG_20160220_180027_zpsrh6jbytx.jpg

15 bucks of sirloin, this sucker is over 2 inches thick. Starters were dressed for the occasion in their best bacon suits and made to sweat till all the fat was lean and the taste mean.

IMG_20160220_174816_zpsa5ktsmxm.jpg

add some baked spuds and fresh veggie ... awesome feast to welcome in the next year.

Pecan pie is warming in the oven,

combine some righteous sales with a birthday and we have a fine feed for less than a pizza for four

15 bucks of sirloin, this sucker is over 2 inches thick. Starters were dressed for the occasion in their best bacon suits and made to sweat till all the fat was lean and the taste mean.

add some baked spuds and fresh veggie ... awesome feast to welcome in the next year.

Yes please!

Miigwich!

I think OIM might approve :dunno:

Simple tomatoe with herb and chile paste fresh crushed garlic, with pasta. Covered with a light dusting of parma.

Takes no time to make and it,s comfort.

attachicon.gif007.JPG

Of course I approve. Anything we cook with "abundanze" which basically translates to passion is good. I always thought the Pommadore (direct translation is golden apple) sauce had to be cooked and tended to for hours, not. I asked my Nona one day if it was necessary to cook a sauce for 6 hours. Yes sometimes, not always. She said if she wasn't cooking all day she would have to do housework!! We can make a killer sauce in 30 minutes. A Ragu, yes time on the stove blupping away makes it. I just made what Ticha and my guests said was the best sauce I have made in years. I agree. Man it is good. I used chicken legs and thighs with pork and beef. Don't ask me for a recipe because there isn't one.

I make a sauce called Putanesca that takes 30inutes, maybe. Yes the Putana you might be thinking of. The story goes that the Hookers in Rome wanted something spicy, quick and tasty when they got home from a tough night street walking, just like them, cheap and quick.

A can of whole tomatoes slightly chopped, hot chile flakes, garlic, anchovy, capers, EVO, a bit of salt, pepper, cook in a pan for 30 minutes or less,and donezo. A tip, to brown garlic properly put in a cold pan with cold EV oil. Opposite of what is taught but it works best. Add long Pasta and cheese, short pasta just isn't right. Ferged aboud id. I'm sure I've mentioned it before here. It's stupid simple. We would cook up a pound of pasta when we got back from the Disco dancing and feed 6 or more of us. Harveys was an option too then. Mrs. Perri would hear us downstairs and sometimes she would get up and insist she feed us. Then it was a 2AM feast. Man they were good times. We make our own new good times now.

I am now going to give you a family secret for tomato sauce. A can of Campbells cream of asparagus soup and milk an hour before served. It will lightened it, take any acid taste out and thicken it. Smash asparagus however you want. I may be killed for ratting out like this.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Of course I approve. Anything we cook with "abundanze" which basically translates to passion is good. I always thought the Pommadore (direct translation is golden apple) sauce had to be cooked and tended to for hours, not. I asked my Nona one day if it was necessary to cook a sauce for 6 hours. Yes sometimes, not always. She said if she wasn't cooking all day she would have to do housework!! We can make a killer sauce in 30 minutes. A Ragu, yes time on the stove blipping away makes it. I just made what Ticha and my guests said was the best sauce I have made in years. I agree. Man it is good. I used chicken legs and thighs with pork and beef. Don't ask me for a recipe because there isn't one.

I make a sauce called Putanesca that takes 30inutes, maybe. Yes the Putana you might be thinking of. The story goes that the Hookers in Rome wanted something spicy, quick and tasty when they got home from a tough night street walking.

A can of whole tomatoes slightly chopped, hot chiles, garlic, anchovy, capers, EVO, a bit of salt, pepper, cook in a pan for 30 minutes or less,and donezo. A tip, too brown garlic put in a cold pan with cold oil. Opposite of what is taught but it works best. Add long Pasta and cheese. Ferged aboud id. I'm sure I've mentioned it before here. It's stupid simple. We would cook up a pound of pasta when we got back from Disco dancing and feed 6 of us. Harveys was an option too then. Mrs. Perri would hear us downstairs and sometimes would get up and insist she feed us. Man they were good times. We make our own new good times now.

You should write a book.

Sorry i missed your call sir

I was given a tip here to marinate a steak like that in Virgin Olive Oil for a few days. I forgot one for over a week and it was fantastic. You could cut it with a fork, Try it.

I'd cut those pieces of meat length wise, hammer flat so they are consistently an even thickness.

Spread Dijon mustard on one side, and add a slice of pickel and a generous slice of onion and a 1/2 slice of bacon. Roll them up and use a toothpick to hold the rolls together.

In a hot pot, add oil and fast fry the rolls, until browned on the outside... be careful not to over crowd the pot. Remove browned rolls and keep rotating them in and out until they are all browned.

Once browned, de-glaze the pot using red wine or beef stock, be sure to scrap all the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan, that's where your flavour comes from. Once de-glazed, add the browned rolls back into the pot, add a pound of mushrooms, a 1/4 cup of red wine and enough beef stock to almost cover all the rolls in the pot. A bit of garlic wouldn't hurt here either!

Bring it to a low boil and then put it in the oven at 275 degress for about 3-4 hours. Carefully remove the rolls from the pot and add enough flour to stiffen up the gravy. Put rolls back in the pot to absorb the gravy.

Serve over mashed with seasonal veggies.... Rouladen! When done, you should be able to cut the meat with a fork.

HH

I would not be making rouladen (or any other similar dish) with loin meat.....................as M2B2 says, you want to taste that meat, and it's the best of the beast.

JMOYMV...............

Doug

Yessir! And thats exactly how I woulda cooked it at camp. Nothing fancy at all, but boy that meat was tender and flavorfull!

I'd cut those pieces of meat length wise, hammer flat so they are consistently an even thickness.

Spread Dijon mustard on one side, and add a slice of pickel and a generous slice of onion and a 1/2 slice of bacon. Roll them up and use a toothpick to hold the rolls together.

In a hot pot, add oil and fast fry the rolls, until browned on the outside... be careful not to over crowd the pot. Remove browned rolls and keep rotating them in and out until they are all browned.

Once browned, de-glaze the pot using red wine or beef stock, be sure to scrap all the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan, that's where your flavour comes from. Once de-glazed, add the browned rolls back into the pot, add a pound of mushrooms, a 1/4 cup of red wine and enough beef stock to almost cover all the rolls in the pot. A bit of garlic wouldn't hurt here either!

Bring it to a low boil and then put it in the oven at 275 degress for about 3-4 hours. Carefully remove the rolls from the pot and add enough flour to stiffen up the gravy. Put rolls back in the pot to absorb the gravy.

Serve over mashed with seasonal veggies.... Rouladen! When done, you should be able to cut the meat with a fork.

HH

Ya, you need to use meat hammer. lol

Did my chef apprenticeship under German chef at Sheraton Hotel. Rouladen was my favourite.

Pastry chef was Scottish. I gained 50 pounds during 3 yr. apprenticeship. HaHa

Got up early this morning to a beautiful sunrise hear in sunny Antigua, caught a small Trevally Jack and was back at 8:30am. my dad got a treat of fried fish for breakfast with a side of fresh melon and orange slices from the tree in the yard here. Basically gutted the fish and coated in seasoned flour and into the skillet, he loved it!

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hopefully catch a snook in the next few days, gonna steam it with lemon.....

I would not be making rouladen (or any other similar dish) with loin meat.....................as M2B2 says, you want to taste that meat, and it's the best of the beast.

JMOYMV...............

Doug

Yessir! And thats exactly how I woulda cooked it at camp. Nothing fancy at all, but boy that meat was tender and flavorfull!

What can I say, I must be a heathen...

HH

HH

Hahaha, im def. Trying your recipie but Ill be using beef.

Problem is, i gotta do it it when the kids arent home lol.

Im gonna have to make LOTS and my kitchen space is very lackluster to say the least.

My mouth watered just reading the details lol.

But like I said, with moose I really wanna taste the moose. Same with deer, unless its a roast, sausages pepperettes.

HH

My reply was perhaps a bit short.

Rouladen is delicious, and your recipe looks fabulous.

But I would use a lesser cut of meat to make it. I believe the usual meat is flank steak, or eye of round. From M2B2's photos it looked like he had moose loin, and as I remarked earlier, that's the best of the beast.

Anyways, I did not intend to give offence and apologize if I did.

Doug

None taken! My response was intended to be some what tongue in cheek...

For me, I have had the occasional piece of moose and I'll admit that I did not receive the loin as pictured above, but what I did try, needed some work done on it to make it palatable to my tastes.

And I agree with your assessment of lesser cuts of meat, I typically buy what ever I can get at a good price and do the cutting and pounding myself. After all, Rouladen is by design, a great way to use up what ever you have on hand.

HH