HDMI cable

lew

If you have the first standard of HDMI slot the dollar store cables work just as well as any cable. So if you only a 3ft long one get them there.

Marketplace did an extensive test to prove it.

Fast forward to about 5:38 seconds to get the lab results.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I have the red, blue and green connectors going from the Bell box to the TV as well as the HDMI flat connector cable. I imagine that's the reason I can't see a difference without the HDMI cable. So is the HDMI cable redundant then? 1080i and 1080P, I'm afraid to ask the difference, but will while I'm at it I may as well. Sorry if this thread is being hi jacked.

I got sucked into paying 30 bucks for the gold connectors at Best Buy. They didn't have any "cheap" cables and if I paid an extra 25 bucks so be it, it costs that much in gas to get to Walmart and back plus all the fighting traffic and parking and door dings and line ups and people banging into me and, and....

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Glad you got your cable lew. Picture should be nice on a new samsung.

Ironmaker, If you have the HDMI connected, unplug the red blue and green cables, you don't need them anymore, and the hdmi gives you better quality + sound, with less cables. HDMI can give you 1080p, the other cables can't. Without getting too technical, 1080p is better than 1080i and will give you a better picture. Not all channels and programs are filmed in HD and not all are 1080p but, the ones that are do look better than the ones that aren't.

Raf just said broadcasters don't send a 1080P signal, it's up converted from i to P via the HDMI cable? Regardless I will disconnect the coloured cables. I know they were not cheap when I bought them. So now what do I do with them, stick them in my audio/ video coffin? I bet I have dozens of RCA cables, singles, doubles, triples, splitters as well as dozens of co axial connectors splitters and switches, gold connectors for speakers and components, 100 feet of 12 gauge Elephant cable , spare stylus' including those for 70's era PA systems. I saw the price of a single simple red/white RCA cable and almost choked. I better think about flogging this stuff before my wife chucks it all.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Audio video coffin... that is a good one. I never knew what to call my collection. I get so much of it because there have been lots of audio and computer installs over the years where it saved me from telling someone sorry you have to wait until the store opens tomorrow to finish setting this up, because you need another cable that wasn't included. Usually I had a used one if I dug deep enough.

Even those types of things become outdated though, I just dropped a box weighing about 50lbs off at the recyclers, with all the redundant no longer industry used computer cables, power cords, audio, telephone, line changers/adaptors, and about 10 old ac/dc adaptors.

I just kept one of everything current I haven't seen at the dollar store. I figure if I or a client need one in the future I would just go get one there. Except for some reason I have 5 brand new HDMI cables, which is nuts considering I still don't have a TV that uses one. CRT won't die and I am not scrapping it until it does.

I agree about pricing though, when I think of what I paid back in the day for "decent" quality cables and connectors I cringed when I let that box of odds and sods go. I was just happy knowing I never got sucked into the Monster line of products except when they had them at the dollar store LOL..

Canuck2, you may be waiting a while before that CRT dies. I bought a 28" latest Sony in 1989, that was the largest non rear projection screen available. It's still working at my brothers cottage. I paid $1800.00 plus tax, that was a lot of money then and still is. Now I hear if you get 5 years from a flat screen you are doing well.

Canuck2, you may be waiting a while before that CRT dies. I bought a 28" latest Sony in 1989, that was the largest non rear projection screen available. It's still working at my brothers cottage. I paid $1800.00 plus tax, that was a lot of money then and still is. Now I hear if you get 5 years from a flat screen you are doing well.

LOL it will last as long as it lasts, it is 12yrs old now...

Todays 28" tv's are 150 bucks!!!