Can you change a flat tire ??....NF

lew

Back when I was younger and crazier lol :D, and didn't have a phone or any type of roadside assistance, I changed a tire on a older company van (GMC 12 passenger van) on the left shoulder of the 401. If I remember correctly, it was somewhere in Scarborough and it wasn't fun. To make matters more interesting, the spare tire ended up being flat as well :wallbash:.

I now have CAA membership :good:, so I would probably call them up if I was stuck on a busy highway. Other small highways, or roads, I would do it myself and save a call.

Never had to change a tire at the side of the road(knock on wood). I swap my own tires when the seasons change so it isnt a big deal but also have a CAA membership if and when it happens or if i forget to bring my motivation along.

I can and have, and yes even on the 400, helped others on the highway change theirs. Wrote a post on facebook suggesting how one might make sure the spare under the vehicle could be maintained to make it easy to get off when needed. I keep a kit in my car of various tools and such and change it out for the winter. What I don't have is a torque wrench, on my list of things to get.

Maureen

Some of you think it's crazy that some people don't know how to change a tire. What really boggles my mind is the huge number of people who have no clue they could prevent most flats by having their tires properly inflated and inspecting them for damage regularly.

Preventative maintenance for the win!

Last winter wife picked me up from work, it was about 7pm pitch black... I warn her of a pot hole that was coming up as I knew it was there..Sure enough she nailed it... A couple words were exchanged... Needless to say once we got in the 401 I knew it was flat....

Problem was the trunk was full of crap, crap I ask her months ago to deal with...

So here I am on the 401 in Belleville emptying out her trunk on the side of the 401 so I can access the spare and jack etc... I won't lie it was a little nerve racking changing that tire with crap on the side of the road, the car up on a jack and non stop transports flying by.. Not something I wish to experience again.

G

if I was on the 401 in a bad spot, would not hesitate to use my CAA

imo on anything but good pavement it is actually dangerous, especially with heavy truck tires, have changed some flats in pretty sketchy offroad conditions and have seen complacency nearly end very, very badly...it's the little things that usually bite you

always do a dry run with every vehicle you buy, new or used, had a coworker stranded for almost 2 days hunting because there wasn't actually an emergency tire iron like there was supposed to be

i should dig up pics off my old cell, my buddy called me and said his wheel was falling off...I assumed a flat but when I showed up, no it was actually nearly off with only 1 lug nut left...condition of brakes pads and rotors was even worse lol