Justice to poachers and snaggers

Steel Bunny

Hi everyone,

I am very thankful that November is around the corner and all this salmon instanity will be over.

I always get seriously disturbed when I run into or hear about snaggers and poachers. This stuff haunts my dreams. I'm afraid one day it'll make me do something stupid that could get me into trouble...you know how loogans can be!

I'm pretty sure that along with a call to the MNR, we can call the local police too, is that right? I mean, poaching is against the law....

What do you guys think?

Hi everyone,

I am very thankful that November is around the corner and all this salmon instanity will be over.

I always get seriously disturbed when I run into or hear about snaggers and poachers. This stuff haunts my dreams. I'm afraid one day it'll make me do something stupid that could get me into trouble...you know how loogans can be!

I'm pretty sure that along with a call to the MNR, we can call the local police too, is that right? I mean, poaching is against the law....

What do you guys think?

The police can enforce fisheries laws. It is not too uncommon for police to check for fishing licences. So in theory you are correct.

However, police are not trained to enforce the fisheries act. They may not be aware of all of the laws (e.g. 25 years down street of barrier, etc.). Also a cop on traffic duty may not be authorized to park his car and head to the local river.

I think the 1-877-TIPS-MNR ( 1-877-847-7667) is your best bet for reporting issues.

Take a video or picture, write down license plates if you can, call the MNR and forward the info. I've fished rivers pretty much my whole life. In that time I've seen poachers with machetes, baseball bats, spear guns, rocks, knives and I wouldn't be surprised if at least a few of them had concealed fire arms. I've even seen 1 guy with night vision goggles netting fish below Bowmanville dam at night. If I see someone snagging a dirty black chinny in knee deep water to add to their stringer, they can go right on ahead. A quick pic or video of the incident and move on - forward the info to the MNR when you can.

Some people might recommend that you advise poachers that what they're doing is wrong. That's really up to you (keep in mind what I said above). I've seen things escalate quickly a number of times. As one of the smaller steelheaders on the river, I have no intentions of getting into any altercations of any type deep in the bush...

The MNR is well aware of the poaching that goes on during salmon season. They are understaffed but do make efforts to reply to your phone calls.