Bass Class with Erik Luzak

mattp33

For a birthday this year I got to spend a half day on an awesome lake with the professor himself Erik Luzak. Erik is a tournement bass fisher and a pretty good 1 to boot and also runs a charter company called Bass Class.

I didn't know much about this and just thought it was a fishing charter to catch some bass, it was much much more than that. Erik focused on teaching me some knew things, I told him early in the day that I have never caught a bass on a jig and I didn;t really know what a jig bite felt like. He promissed by the end of the day I would know and have more confidence in the jig bite.

We started off in the morning by meeting at 9:40 am as he said the morning bite has been tough but they fire up on this particular lake as it starts to warm up. We were loaded and on the water by 10:05 am and we raced off in the 21' Ranger, I knew it was going to be a good day.

Our first stop was a large grass flat and I started throwing a spinnerbait and Erik threw a shallow crank, very shallow. 2 out of 3 of his first casts we had 2 3lbs bass in the boat. (gotta feeling this will be a single sided day at this point) The whole time he is telling me why he started where he did and showed me on the graph and map why the bass were there. He says I am going to switch you rods and I want you to throw this shallow crank. As I was dong that he was rigging up some jigs on my rods.

I procceded to land nothing but Pike for the next 30 mins, got a couple pretty good pike! They were very healthy and a really good fight, but not what we were looking for.

006_zps54b8622a.jpg

008_zps4b111199.jpg

Off to the next spot and the next couple hours we threw senkos around and that was when the bass fired up for me! Erik showed me a few tips and trick that I didn't know of with senkos and it paid off dividents.

010_zpsf24ac01e.jpg

We landed a mixed bag of lm and sm over the next 3 hours that made my head spin, including a PB lm that that came in just under 6lbs

018_zpsd95f58b6.jpg

I told Erik I wasnt a very good deep water fisher so he took me out to an off shore hump and we found this guy hanging out, I also got me first sm on a drop shot, turns out i was doing just about everything wrong with my drop shot setup. I feel like I know what i am doing with it now

019_zps668da324.jpg

We finished off the day throwing jigs into trees and shoreline structure and ened off finishing with a double header 20 feet from the launch.

It was the best day on the water I ever had and I learned more in 5 hours with Erik than I did in the last 5 years fishing alone. Anyone who wants to learn something new or just have a great day on the water look him up! He was profesional, polite and a blast to be around. I booked our next outing before leaving the launch lol

Thanks and tight lines for ever!!!