blaque

Any brand of camera will do the job these days. As many have mentioned, the glass will be the biggest investment. Beyond that, post processing in photoshop or other post processing software is the biggest deal breaker. I've often seen shots from very expensive equipment that look sub par because of lack of post processing skills. Buy something within your budget and practice your photo editing. When you learn this, your pictures will look as good as any, no matter what brand you are using.

Thanks.........now that you bring it up, are there any other post processing software favorites out there besides photoshop

Edited by Blaque

the opposite is also true.

I've seen folks ruin a good photo by overdoing the saturation and other effects. (too many folks get "saturation crazy")

I agree that post photo production is likely more important (or at least "as important") as the camera itself.

the opposite is also true.

I've seen folks ruin a good photo by overdoing the saturation and other effects. (too many folks get "saturation crazy")

I agree that post photo production is likely more important (or at least "as important") as the camera itself.

You can never make a bad picture look great, I don't care how much of a wizard someone is at photoshop.

Ahhhh yes......the hmmm'ing and hawww'ing continues :)

Want to add to the confusion?

Take a look at the mirrorless system cameras.

Sony A6000 produces amazing images straight out of the box. (no post processing)

24 megapixels. Same size sensor as DX format DSLR's.

Interchangeable lense sas well as optional Zeiss lenses.

I recently sold my Nikon D7000/16-85 lens because the images from my new Sony are better.

Convenient. Small bag. Zeiss 16-70 f4 zoom.

I strongly suspect that in the not too distant future DSLR's will go the way of the dinosaur.

A few examples:

Sony A6000 with 16-50 kit lens. Straight out of the box.

#1.jpg

#3.jpg

#4.jpg

#5.jpg

Have since purchased the Zeiss 16-70 for slightly more zoom range in a walk around lens.

Been too busy to test drive it yet.

Edited by Roe Bag

You can never make a bad picture look great, I don't care how much of a wizard someone is at photoshop.

Totally agree. I just meant you can screw up a good photo with bad processing skills.

I don't see it as much anymore, I think because people got past the "over saturation" phase....but it still is out there....

Totally agree. I just meant you can screw up a good photo with bad processing skills.

I don't see it as much anymore, I think because people got past the "over saturation" phase....but it still is out there....

Oh yeah, for sure... People cook their photos way too much. Over saturating is one of my biggest pet peeves. Grass that looks like it's been through a nuclear winter, water so blue that you think it's glowing... just way too much.

Want to add to the confusion?

Take a look at the mirrorless system cameras.

Sony A6000 produces amazing images straight out of the box. (no post processing)

24 megapixels. Same size sensor as DX format DSLR's.

Interchangeable lense sas well as optional Zeiss lenses.

I recently sold my Nikon D7000/16-85 lens because the images from my new Sony are better.

Convenient. Small bag. Zeiss 16-70 f4 zoom.

I strongly suspect that in the not too distant future DSLR's will go the way of the dinosaur.

A few examples:

Sony A6000 with 16-50 kit lens. Straight out of the box.

attachicon.gif#1.jpg

attachicon.gif#3.jpg

attachicon.gif#4.jpg

attachicon.gif#5.jpg

Have since purchased the Zeiss 16-70 for slightly more zoom range in a walk around lens.

Been too busy to test drive it yet.

Well what'd ya have to go and do that for :)

• 2 weeks later...

Always good to know all the options before diving in head first.

Glad to help.

Looking hard into this mirrorless market Roebag. The strange thing about it.......is that the two big players in the DSLR market (Nikon and canon), have the most mediocre offerings lol. Kinda strange. Or maybe its by design lol

Anyway, ive looked into many mirrorless models and reviewed them all to death.

Seems the SONY A6000 and Samsung NX300M are high in the standings. (in my price range anyway) With samsung getting ready to release an NX400 in Q1 of 2015. May have to wait a couple months and see what that one is all about. Only reason being, is it is said that the lens line up for the NX is a bit more plentiful

Anyway, local photographer shop gurus are also suggesting getting into the mirrorless cams if one is starting from scratch..... as they are definitely the next wave.

Let the research continue :)

Edited by Blaque

Ya i hear ya, but i think im covered with what i want to do with the camera based on the lens selections ive seen. I dont THINK its a deal breaker for me unless i become fanatical about the hobby.

You can also get adapters to fit other manufacturers lenses, understanding that you are a bit handcuffed however as you can only use those lenses "wide open" without the ability to adjust aperture etc within the lens......

I dunno, eventually im gonna have to shart or get off the pot.......:) and just go with it. If whatever i choose isnt what i was lookin for, sell and start over :)

I will add that i am completely tired of reading reviews on anything on the internet.

For any given product........i can find 10 reviews that completely praise an item up and down, and go to another site/forum and read 10 reviews on the same product completely bashing it in every way.

Its almost as if manufacturers have reps portraying themselves as ordinary consumers on review sites, to flood the internet and promote the product. And the competition does the same, to write "badmouth" reviews

Good glass makes more of a difference in image quality than the body it is on IMHO.

I also bought a T3 a few years ago as an entry level DSLR. It came with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Which takes decent pictures but until I purchased my 10-22mm UWA landscape lens I didn't know how good the image quality could be.

I also have the nifty 50 Mark1, nifty 250 (55-250mm).

I am looking to upgrade my body and if I hadn't taken 3 months of vacation this year I would have already preordered a 7D Markii. :D

Dave, you can pick up a 70d right now (body only) for $799US. That's the deal of the century. No way I'd drop $1899 on a crop camera, I'd be going 6D if that was the case.

The new 7D is essentially a 1DX with 1.6 crop instead of 1.4. :D

I really want the enviro sealing.

The 7DmkII will never ever have the ISO capabilities of a FF Canon (1DX, 5DMKIII, etc).. It's a great crop camera, but the ISO is about as good as the 70d. The weather sealing is nice but the 70d has that as well. The articulating screen on the 70D is also very useful (At least for me) as is the touch screen. You should compared them both together and see if the extra $1000 is worth it.

sealing.jpg

Edited by BillM

Dave, you can pick up a 70d right now (body only) for $799US. That's the deal of the century. No way I'd drop $1899 on a crop camera, I'd be going 6D if that was the case.

Can you PM me - or post where you are finding that price? Best I can find is $999.00. I want to get one of these, and Body only would be fine, as it is compatible with my current Lenses.

I saw that one after I posted. Not sure I can get it though - it is a US mail in rebate, which brings the price down to 799.00. Trying to get more details on it, but it looks like they send you an American Express pre-paid card - going to guess if you don't have a US address, it won't work.

Still investigating....