blaque

i know there are a few here that have some experience (BillM, Joey, MJL.....etc) and i always like to run things by the smart folks here on the forum.

So im starting my research on getting my feet wet in the DSLR world. I literally have zero experience with them and am already a bit overwhelmed after digging into what would be best for me for an entry level camera. (if entry level is even something I should be striving for) I also dont want to have to upgrade after a year with my initial choice.

I guess the overall question is where to start lol. I know Canon and Nikon are the major players..........with Pentax, sony, etc in the mix. But even within each brand, there seem to be a ton of options. I dont even know where to begin lol

I suppose theres lots of questions to answer in order to get pushed in the right direction, so fire away if needed.

I would typically be using it to shoot the same subjects as many here do. So.........anyway, not sure where else to go with this......except im looking to get kicked in the right general direction??

One of the major photo characteristics i see with DSLR users is that "POP" or "3D" look that you get with the depth of field. That blurred background and outrageously crisp subject jumping off the page so to speak.

I cant get that from my point and shoot or Galaxy lol (i goof around with it in some of my post processing apps but its not the same.....obviously.........couple galaxy phone pic examples below)

DSLR also seems to have better results with color saturation..........i dunno, all things i putz around with in photo apps after the fact. But im tired of goofin off on my phone. :)

20140913_183808_1_zpsupxywi6h.jpg

20140730_183927_1_zpsmcnoxqio.jpg

PANO_20140730_175002_1_zpsutuzs8jw.jpg

Edited by Blaque

I've owned 3 DSLRs, to Canon Rebels and now a Canon 7D. I reccomend checking outa couple differnt options and see what menu system feels most comfortable. The learning curve of a DSLR can be pretty steap, so its important to be comfortable with the menu system. If you have owned a Canon camera in the past, you will feel comofrtable with a camera like the Rebel right away.

The Rebel probably offers the best bang for the buck right now with regular sales including extra lenses, but Nikon has its equivelent. Fuji has been putting out some solid cameras recently as well. Keep in mind, the lense is going to be the most important addition to get those crisp shots - thats where you can really spend the big bucks. There are a couple of well priced small lenses that will give you that nice soft background blur - though tehy arent great on a small boat since the field of view is pretty tight. check out the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake lens (on sale for 150-180) and the EF 50mm f/1.8 II (on sale for around 100).

Edited by Fishing Fury

I've owned 3 DSLRs, to Canon Rebels and now a Canon 7D. I reccomend checking outa couple differnt options and see what menu system feels most comfortable. The learning curve of a DSLR can be pretty steap, so its important to be comfortable with the menu system. If you have owned a Canon camera in the past, you will feel comofrtable with a camera like the Rebel right away.

The Rebel probably offers the best bang for the buck right now with regular sales including extra lenses, but Nikon has its equivelent. Fuji has been putting out some solid cameras recently as well. Keep in mind, the lense is going to be the most important addition to get those crisp shots - thats where you can really spend the big bucks. There are a couple of well priced small lenses that will give you that nice soft background blur - though tehy arent great on a small boat since the field of view is pretty tight. check out the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake lens (on sale for 150-180) and the EF 50mm f/1.8 II (on sale for around 100).

Thanks for the input Fury........much appreciated, Ive heard that the lenses are where things start to add up. The specific examples is exactly what im looking for to help me narrow things down. Great info!

As far as the user interface..........thats the most intimidating unknown about this whole potential purchase lol, i certainly dont want to end up with a paperweight if i am not able to grasp the workings of the camera. And thats entirely possible :) Im not retired so there will be a limited window of time i will be able to put into learning lol

I'm not sure with what camera those pics were taken with,but they are real nice and crisp. Look real good to me!!!

Those are cellphone pics using my Samsung Galaxy, with a little post processing,........and I agree, they look cool for a cellphone camera. Im just looking to get into something with some horsepower now so to speak.

I would recommend a Canon. I have an early version and I still love it.

At $600 your options are very limited. I'd wait for the holiday deals: Black Friday / Boxing Day and see if you can snag a deal then.

If you can swing a few hundred more, there are a few packages in the $800 range that have 2 or more lenses and accessories that look good. Remember, you'll likely have this camera a long time. Spend more now and be happier longer. The T5i is a premium entry in the hobbyist class that covers most of the bases and still allow you to build your package down the road. Having a zoom lens is really nice obviously when shooting nature and sports. A 50 mm is really nice when doing portraits and close range animals/nature. They all come with a multi-purpose 18-55 mm lens, unless you buy a body only of course. And don't skimp out on the memory card. You want a good one when buying it for a camera. As fast as you can get with decent size.

I'd recommend you shop around a few camera stores, such as Henry's or similar and get a feel for what 's out there. Their staff are typically very knowledgeable about their product and love to talk to people just starting out. You're like a blank canvas for them. LOL

It's amazing how uninformed the big box stores can be when it comes to their product. Especially more complicated equipment. If I ask a question and they pick up the box, it's all over. I bought mine at a camera store and I got great service and you can go back and ask questions later if you need to.

Lastly, most cities have community programs that offer courses in a wide range of hobbies. I live in London, ON and I was able to take an SLR photography course through the city for around a $100 that covered all the basics of SLR photography that helped a lot early on. I think it was 8 weeks and it was well worth while.

Good Luck. If you have more questions as you work through it, come back and ask.

If one thing you want is the ability to better control depth of field, then you need to start with lens choice. Faster lenses (f2 or 2.8 for example vs 5.6 etc) coupled with high shutter speed will give you the look you want. Go to a faster lens and it gets better. As well, imo, full frame sensor cameras work best for this although some the crop sensor cameras will work.

Lastly, I think you're probably going to have to up your budget if this is the look you want. The kit lens is going to be hard pressed to give you that visual presentation. Can be done if you know how to exploit your camera's feature set ;)

Pretty much all entry-level DSLR cameras are geared towards newbies. They all have an auto-mode.LOL

If you're looking for a thin depth of field, the larger sensors of most DSLR cameras will definitely help. Most entry level DSLR cameras (Canon, Nikon, Sony & Pentax) use APS-C sized sensors and should be able to give you a thin depth of field when paired with a fast lens (eg. f/2.8 or faster like f/2.0, f/1.8, f/1.4, f/1.2, etc) or with lenses on the telephoto range (70mm and over). Full-frame sensors can give you an even thinner depth of field but the cameras will be way out of your price range.

Keep in mind that the colour saturation and vibrance will vary amongst cameras, camera brands, the lenses you use and the available light you're shooting in (with available light being the most important factor). I find the JPEGs coming out of my Canon T3i are generally more vibrant and punchy than my friend's Nikon D3100 straight out of the camera on similar settings. Even DSLRs can have a tough time in low light conditions but on average they do perform better than your standard cellphone or point-and-shoot cameras with regards to overall image quality. A lot of the entry level cameras come with filter pre-sets. Not my thing, but it gives you the option to change things up with colour if you wish.

There are a ton of review sites out online. One recommendation I have is to look at the un-edited jpeg files to get a feeling at what you might get in real world situations. It's one thing to look at someone else's photo, be drawn to it (and the camera) and not know what went into the picture in terms of post-processing.

One other thing to take into consideration when buying a lens for most entry-level DSLR is the crop factor due to the APS-C sized sensor (APS-C is smaller than the 35mm full frame sensor). Canon's crop factor on the Rebel line (APS-C) is 1.6 while Nikon is 1.5 for their APS-C. A 50mm lens on a Canon Rebel ends up being equivalent to 80mm. On a Nikon a 50mm would be 75mm. On a full-frame camera, a 50mm would be a 50mm and it's pretty close to the field of view of what the human eye sees. For many people who shoot indoors, on a small boat or you need a wide angle shot of a landscape, 50mm can be a bit too tight on a camera with an APS-C sensor. Conversely, if you plan to shoot a lot of wildlife pictures, that crop factor could give you the extra reach to fill the frame without having to crop later in post...All in all, you can't have enough lenses :D

If it was me, I'd allocate more funds into some better glass VS the camera body. It's pretty amazing what you can do with an entry level camera body today compared to when I first got into digital photography. Perhaps other considerations are: ergonomics, movie mode and movie quality, how intuitive the menu is and the cost and availability of accessories for future purchases (like flashes, remotes, etc).

With you're $600 limit, is that body + lens? Or just the body?

Be prepared to spend more on glass (lenses) then the body of the camera. That's where the picture quality comes from. In that price range I'd probably go for a used Canon entry level body (T3i) pair it up with a 50mm f1.8 or the new EF-S 24mm STM (Which going to have a price point of $150, killer killer deal)..

After that you wanna save your pennies for lenses like the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8, and the EF 70-200 f4L. Both can be found used for a decent price. I have the 17-55 f/2.8 on my Canon 70D 90% of the time, especially if I'm in the boat.

Edited by BillM

I have found that most cameras do well most of the time. But, they will show their worth in challenging situations: that's where you want to put your money.

Night time shots - for that walleye under moonlight. Most cellphone camera struggle at this.

Sport mode

fast to ready - the shot may have swam away by the time your camera boots up.

telephoto zoom. Good glass is critical.

blur from shaking - use a monopod.

Waterproof!

jiggy

Wow.......well i asked for it I guess, and i got it LOL. This is all great feedback, as I expected :)

Ill start by saying, Im prepared to see this escalate toward the $1000 mark..........but i wouldnt get into it for a whole lot more than that. At least not as a jumping off point. So to answer MJL............i guess "all in", id like to keep it under 1K

I definitely plan on staying away from the big box stores.......I couldnt agree more, they know a little about alot of the merch. and typically "pick up the box" to answer your questions lol. Nature of the beast for these stores that carry everything. So i def. plan on hitting one of the specialty stores down here. Weve got a good one down here by the name of Delaware Camera. And im pretty sure they offer some sort of entry level tutoring.

Sounds like maybe i should stay away from the bundles? or kits? as the glass is something ill need to tailor. You guys seem to have provided me with tried and true lense choices that cover what i need/want.

I think i will go hold some devices this week and get a feel for the actual bodies and start with the T5i or T3i.......i have used canon cameras in the past so as suggested, That may seem the most user friendly interface for me. But will certainly explore others

This is all in the very early stages and I certainly appreciate the time it took to post the information so far to help get me started.........and even more so, respect the knowledge you guys have on the subject

Also, looking at the t3i on amazon............it says "discontinued by the manufacturer"...........is this something to consider?

The T3i is an older model. I believe the T5i is the current model. Ironically most places have stopped selling the T4i (successor to the T3i) but have continued on selling the T3i and T5i instead :dunno:

B&H photo is still selling the T3i for $500 USD brand new

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753760-REG/Canon_5169B001_EOS_Rebel_T3i_Digital.html

I buy tons of gear (both new and used) from B&H.

We started off with a Rebel T1i - purchased a few years ago now. Got it in a package for $600.00, which was a steal at the time. It has been a great camera - no complaints. Some things I have learned as I have gotten more into pictures:

1) Don't blow all your money on the Body. At lot of the times, the important part of the Camera is the Lens - not what it is attached to. Case in point - you put an expensive lens on the T1i, and it will take professional level pictures, period. We were at a wedding and the hired photographer noticed our camera, and my wife taking pictures - he liked what she was doing, so gave her a lens to use that night, and told her to take pictures. It is a hobby for her, so she really enjoyed herself.

2) You either have an eye for pictures or you don't. We were at a tournament a couple of weeks ago, and asked a gentlemen to take our picture. We picked him because he had this nice Canon, with about a 5K lens on it, so figured he could handle our Canon. Worst picture ever.....So the price of the camera/lens does not equal a good picture.

3) Take your pictures in "RAW" format, not JPEG. This will consume a lot more space on your camera and hard drive. But if you want to have the ability to manipulate the picture after, RAW is the way to go. Think of RAW as the full negative you would have had with regular film - it allows way more flexibility to change lighting, etc. If you start taking HDR pictures you will want it as well. (Not saying that jpeg does not work - it does - but it has limits).

4) Looks at the lens styles/models that interest you first -> and then look at the Camera Body. Not all lenses will fit on all cameras. As such you may buy a couple of lens units because they are cheaper - and then lock yourself into a lower style camera body, because those lenses will not work on higher end cameras. Canon and Nikon both have compatibility charts that you will want to take a look at. (I am sure the other manufacturers will have them too).

5) Look at Professional Photographers at events (like sports for instance). They use either Canon or Nikon - nuf said.....

6) When possible - buy an Image Stabilized Lens.

7) Don't knock Cell Pics (Lol :tease: ) Most of these I took with my Cell Phone -> http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76226

8) Make sure you get a Fast SD Card -> Shutter speed is great - but the if the SD Card is cheap/not quick it will become a bottleneck.

9) Buy a cheap/small point and shoot camera too. You will not always want to lug the big camera around - and having a small one ready to go is a good idea. I bought one a Costco (Casio) for about $80.00. The pictures it takes are awesome - I always have it with me when I go fishing.

We are looking to upgrade our Camera, mostly because I want to start trying HDR pictures. We can do it with the T1i, but I would like to buy a Camera that has it purpose built. After research I am most likely going to go with a Canon EOS 70D, which is the next level up from the Rebel line. It will work with the lenses we have, etc. and has built in HDR. But what I really like is it has built in wireless too.

Edited by Tupelo

I bought the Nikon D7100 with the 18-55 kit lens on boxing day of last year. I also added a Tamron 70-300 Di VC lens and a Nikon that other site-S 35mm f1.8G lens. I purchased the camera kit from Henrys and the lenses at Future Shop and Amazon.

The main thing is to do your research. I researched my decision for over a month and by the time I decided my wife was so happy that getting the extra lenses wasn't too big of a deal lol.

Read reviews. There are a ton of great review sites that review based on the specs and not on the brand. There are also a lot of Cannon and Nikon fans out there and they'll steer you towards one or the other. When you choose your camera you need to realise that you are choosing the lens line, both Cannon and Nikon have similar lenses at similar price points. For me it was between the Cannon 70D and the Nikon D7100. Both had excellet reviews, the Cannon had touchscreen, the Nikon had buttons. I have fat fingers, went with the buttons. It was a tough decision but I don't think I would have been disappointed either way.

http://www.dpreview.com/ is an excellent review site, you can compare cameras side by side. I would start there.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm is another review site I found useful.

I wouldn't stay away from box stores, I wouldn't expect them to know much either. Narrow your choices down and go in and hold them to see how they feel in your hand. Then find the place that has the best price and purchase it there. It's not necessary to purchase a camera at a camera store. In my case, Henry's was $150 cheaper than the next place.

Also, don't discount the kit lenses, they provide excellent bang for their buck. They are great to start with and then you can pick up lenses as you learn what you need.

Good luck!

Once you have decided on which camera interests you the most, I would scour the used market for folks "upgrading" their current camera. Places like Henry's and such, always have used camera bodies in stock. another option to consider is pawn shops.

CL or Kijiji also offer opportunities to get more bang for your buck.

HH

I went with a Canon T3 because it's what I could afford at the time. It came with a standard kit lens, 18-55, which isn't bad. I've added two more low-end lenses to that, the 50/1.8 ($100, excellent bokeh), and a 50-250mm with IS (forget the price, but I like it well enough, and it got good reviews when I looked into it). I also got a good, but cheap, Yongnuo wireless flash (non-TTL), and wireless triggers, a few filters, and some other stuff. I don't know what it all adds up to, but I feel I may be under your budget in the end...

If I could go back and spend a little more on the body, I'd get one that does 1080p video and has a mic input, because my Sony digital camcorder doesn't even come close to looking as nice or professional as even the 720p I get out of the T3. But that's just me. (If I had known, I would have maybe sold my Sony cam and put the money towards a better body).

Honestly though, as others have said, spend more on lenses (I'd also advise getting them new, but that's maybe just me as well) and maybe a flash unit if you want to use flash AT ALL (built-in sucks balls on every cam). You can always upgrade the body later on, and keep your lenses.

I looked at the Nikon range, and I was not happy with the prices or lens selection. I also didn't like how their low-end DLSRs treat the user like a bit of an idiot. I also have had way better luck with my Canon point and shoots over the years, compared to the point and shoot Nikon that I own now.

More great reading :)...........Im going to have to print this thread and have it on me at all times once i start shopping around lol

Tupelo, i saw that thread when you posted it........cell cams are definitely not what they used to be..... I have alot of fun with mine as well

As it stands now sitting at my desk.........it looks like ill start by taking a look between the T5i, and T3i i guess. For starters anyway.

I really am still a bit confused on the lenses and its where i think ill have to do most of my research

Although Bill seems to have laid it out pretty black and white above. (no pun intended). I think i could pull the trigger on a T5i/T3i body and Bills 90%'er lense above and learn with that set up and acquire lenses as i go???

How does B&H have the T5i body only for 699 and then a T5i w/ 18-55mm lens for 699 ......im a little confused, why wouldnt i just get the bundle

I think you answered your own question, RE: the Bundle....lol. Look up a review for that lens, but I believe it is an excellent starting point. As such - buy the Bundle (I did the same thing when I got the T1).

As you search, the bundled units are a better bargin, then just buying the Body - at least for most Camera's anyway.

When I buy the 70D -> I will probably get the bundle. That way we have two cameras on the go - and can each be using one. The nice thing is to have one camera setup with one style lens, and the other with a different one - like Portrait and Telescopic.

As it stands now sitting at my desk.........it looks like ill start by taking a look between the T5i, and T3i i guess. For starters anyway.

I really am still a bit confused on the lenses and its where i think ill have to do most of my research

Although Bill seems to have laid it out pretty black and white above. (no pun intended). I think i could pull the trigger on a T5i/T3i body and Bills 90%'er lense above and learn with that set up and acquire lenses as i go???

How does B&H have the T5i body only for 699 and then a T5i w/ 18-55mm lens for 699 ......im a little confused, why wouldnt i just get the bundle

B&H pricing does get a little quirky sometimes especially when they have bundle sales. I scored big earlier this year buying 2 1066x 64GB compact flash cards for the same price as 1 on B&H :dunno:

I saved $265...I can't complain.LOL

Similar to Bill, my preferred walk-around type lens on an APS-C type of camera is a 17-50mm f/2.8 lens (it's a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 without image stabilization). Super sharp and I picked it up for around $425 brand new back in 2010. You kind of have to get used to the noisy buzzy motor noise when it focuses though and if you plan to shoot hand held video a lot, I probably wouldn't recommend it (look for a lens with IS if you plan to shoot a lot of video or low light telephoto shots). I only shoot stills and none of my lenses have image stabilization.

There's not many Canon shooters I know who don't have a nifty fifty 50mm f/1.8 II (ie. the plastic fantastic lens) :lol: . The build quality is super sketchy but it is incredibly sharp and very affordable. I have its sturdier made predecessor the 50mm f/1.8 mark I (has a metal mount and a distance scale). It does make a great portrait lens however it does get extremely tight as an all-round walk around prime.

I normally buy camera bodies used to save $. For lenses, I buy both new and used and never really had an issue. I've bought a lot of used equipment from B&H and Henrys as well as Kijiji and Craigslist. The used stuff from B&H and Henrys does come with a warranty and return policy.