Ok, now that we all have new turkey fryers, need the how too...

misfish

The little water left in the pot after you dump it out will not hurt. Remember you will be heating the oil from room temp. When the oil reaches 212F the water will evaporate and not violently. Water going into oil 212F and above is not good at all

Not trying to start something here but....

The thing is any amount of water in their expensive oil is going to immediately start to break down that oil... so why not spend 20 seconds with paper towels drying the pot first, just to protect their investment?

You are right that a little bit leftover likely won't cause a fire (that was humor) but it can cause some interesting burns if you are standing too close while it heats up. IT will splatter which pure oil won't and that is based on over 30yrs working in kitchens...

I think I might deep fry the roast I bought. Sounds interesting.

What will be more interesting is how many more roasts you buy and deep fry after you see how awesome it really is. My next door neighbour did 3 small ones in 8 days when he discovered it in his home fryer... Didn't hurt that some store in London was selling top sirloin roasts for 2.49/lb that week.

Not trying to start something here but....

The thing is any amount of water in their expensive oil is going to immediately start to break down that oil... so why not spend 20 seconds with paper towels drying the pot first, just to protect their investment?

You are right that a little bit leftover likely won't cause a fire (that was humor) but it can cause some interesting burns if you are standing too close while it heats up. IT will splatter which pure oil won't and that is based on over 30yrs working in kitchens...

well spoken. point taken. never thought about the breakdown

Just from experience. We dropped a turkey in and filled the pot with water to gauge an oil line, blah blah blah took the turkey out and gauged it again (water now lowere) Filled the pot with oil at the "water line", when the oil was heated we dropped our turkey in and to our surprise this bloody thing puked all over. No fire or nothing, but point being as a previous poster posted maybe crank down the oil a touch as compared to the water line. At the time the "book" said to do it this way and she still erupted over the pot. Just an FYI. Be careful.

Pidge

Just from experience. We dropped a turkey in and filled the pot with water to gauge an oil line, blah blah blah took the turkey out and gauged it again (water now lowere) Filled the pot with oil at the "water line", when the oil was heated we dropped our turkey in and to our surprise this bloody thing puked all over. No fire or nothing, but point being as a previous poster posted maybe crank down the oil a touch as compared to the water line. At the time the "book" said to do it this way and she still erupted over the pot. Just an FYI. Be careful.

Pidge

yup. it's amazing how much the oil will expand when heated.

I think I might deep fry the roast I bought. Sounds interesting.

Being dutch I grew up with all roasts being cooked on the stove in butter (we call it gravy) get the butter liquified place on low insert roast. Add a couple Clove spikes to the roast to enhance the "gravy"

I promise you the best stove top roast you have ever had...

Cook the roast on low till it has a bit of a "bark" the outside it a bit dark....

This is traditional dutch cooking, and you use the beef, Clove infused butter (now clarified) on top of mashed potatoes, veg, or save it for future cooks... Be sure to keep the brown stuff at the bottom of the pot.... Flavour country!!!

Pm me if you need further details on how to make this.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Newf, where do you buy your peanut oil from in large quantities? (More then 1ltr bottles)

G

Walmart had what looked like 3-4 gallon jugs right beside the fryer I bought. But I have a contact in the restaurant industry.

Being dutch I grew up with all roasts being cooked on the stove in butter (we call it gravy) get the butter liquified place on low insert roast. Add a couple Clove spikes to the roast to enhance the "gravy"

I promise you the best stove top roast you have ever had...

Cook the roast on low till it has a bit of a "bark" the outside it a bit dark....

This is traditional dutch cooking, and you use the beef, Clove infused butter (now clarified) on top of mashed potatoes, veg, or save it for future cooks... Be sure to keep the brown stuff at the bottom of the pot.... Flavour country!!!

Pm me if you need further details on how to make this.

G

Had Dutch-fried roast last night actually. Nothing like it. Beef, porkchops, rabbit, goose, chicken, and on and on. There`s just something about meat taking a hot bath in butter all day... :whistling:

Sunday is going to be bird frying day.

Will it be ok to strain back in the used oil with the new? I don't think I,ll need to use the whole jug for my bird .

I might even just buy a large water jug and dump it out and use that for the used oil.

What will be more interesting is how many more roasts you buy and deep fry after you see how awesome it really is. My next door neighbour did 3 small ones in 8 days when he discovered it in his home fryer... Didn't hurt that some store in London was selling top sirloin roasts for 2.49/lb that week.

I blame you for all of this :) You've given some great info in this thread.

Edited by BillM

Sunday is going to be bird frying day.

Will it be ok to strain back in the used oil with the new? I don't think I,ll need to use the whole jug for my bird .

I might even just buy a large water jug and dump it out and use that for the used oil.

I wouldn't mix the used and new oil unless you absolutely have too. If you check with local restaurants or even instore bakeries they might have used plastic pails with lids you could use to store the used oil in. Just make sure the pail is well rinsed with no soap residue and dry.

I wouldn't mix the used and new oil unless you absolutely have too. If you check with local restaurants or even instore bakeries they might have used plastic pails with lids you could use to store the used oil in. Just make sure the pail is well rinsed with no soap residue and dry.

Thank you sir.

I,ll check in with my local guy..

Now to really screw you guys up. I bought an oilless fryer a while back, best turkey ever! 10X better than deep fried and 1000X easier. :)

These were on sale at Home Depot last month for $69

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/char-broil-the-big-easy/992280

And here I thought you were a brother.LOL

That looks sweet Mike. And for the 25 bux I spent for the fryer,I can see me buying one of those to give it a go.

I like to heat up a brine with citrus and various spices in the big pot, let it cool and fully submerge thawed bird in it for 24hrs in fridge.

Take note of level of liquids for oil level, remove bird, clean pot.

Prep bird by cutting off wing tips, pokes nose (sp?), extra neck fat.....it all just burns. You will now see where the brine has pooled under the skin, poke holes to let let it drain. This is where oil would pool after bird is done, so helps with that.

Dry bird thoroughly, place on stand legs up, tie up legs, cut and fold wings back on themselves. Use hook and broomstick with two people to SLOWLY lower in bird. Have oil just shy of 400f, turn off flame before lowering safely, the fire it up again. Get temp to about 350f, 3.5-4 mins a pound. Take temp, when breast hits 165ish, 175ish on legs, pull it out. Let it stand wrapped in foil for about 20mins, carve and enjoy the BEST way to cook a turkey!!