Lake St Clair Sunday for Musky

leaf4

Ended up finally getting out to lake St Clair for the musky trip with my brother, girlfriends dad and uncle out significant others had gotten for us for our birthdays last year, two failed dates due to weather and this one was up in the air till the day before too!

at the boat for 7:30am and off we went in a nice comfy 30' fiberglass.

B90C388A-6A10-4C40-A7D3-F8538BF5BE1E.jpg

We got out to the mouth of the channel, and loads of floating debris was in the water, logs branches, a 40' tree haha so we took it slow till we got past all that and once we reached our location the captain Terry started rigging up, all 12 rods!

B8F71940-FE29-453D-97E5-5632F9D2C0E2.jpg

It didn't take long before we were into some fish!

My brother

915894A4-2A8B-45E8-9B8C-78ABD80C9622.jpg

Girlfriends uncle

DSCF0253.jpg

Girlfriends dad with the double header if you look back to the previous photo

DSCF0255.jpg

And me!

DSCF0257.jpg

We ended up with those 4 by 10am so I was obviously optimistic for more, but things ended up slowing down and we still did end up with more but I could tell Terry was getting frustrated as he was swapping out lures on each planer board and trying to nail down a pattern that wasn't really existent that day but kudos to him for trying!

Well we kept on at it and it paid off, not without some goof in a tinny almost driving into the planer board and telling us we were in the way when we were entering an area with a couple more boats on our right side, well Terry told him where to go and it was absolutely hilarious! not so much for the other boat LOL

Not long after that we got into some more fish!

DSCF0260.jpg

20FA6B3D-6CA8-49B1-8003-51A83DB95217.jpg

I had 2 solid 40" fish and they were definitely close to the 20 pound mark, I thought I was gonna take home big fish of the day, but unfortunately for me the last one in the boat ended up being a brute at 48 3/4" and 32 pounds!

DSCF0271.jpg

DSCF0273.jpg

The head on it was massive!

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/leaf4IF/media/DSCF0272.jpg.html]DSCF0272.jpg

All in all a very enjoyable day out on the water with rampage sports, 8 musky for a day is pretty good in my books, though Terry was a bit disappointed we didn't get more we all had a great time.

On the way home I ended up checking out their Facebook page and I shouldn't of, we had an available date of August 24th, now everyone but my brother was available but he was in Boston, ok we'll take the one in September we say, now I go to that August date and my jaw hit the floor, they landed 33 of 45 musky they hooked up with! never in my wildest dreams would I have ever expected to see that and I'm now secretly kicking my brother every time I see him haha.

Hope you enjoyed the read!

Lucas

Edited by Lucas F

Well we kept on at it and it paid off, not without some goof in a tinny almost driving into the planer board and telling us we were in the way when we were entering an area with a couple more boats on our right side, well Terry told him where to go and it was absolutely hilarious! not so much for the other boat LOL

What happened to trolling boats always having the right away? Sometimes on erie if I'm jigging and I see a troller coming with planer boards I'll actually start up my engine and get out of his way. I know what kind of a pain it is to circumnavigate around stopped boats when you're trolling with 8+ rods out.

I'd be extremely happy with 8 boated musky, especially if one was 48". But I'm just starting out, I'm happy when I land just one :P

What happened to trolling boats always having the right away? Sometimes on erie if I'm jigging and I see a troller coming with planer boards I'll actually start up my engine and get out of his way. I know what kind of a pain it is to circumnavigate around stopped boats when you're trolling with 8+ rods out.

I'd be extremely happy with 8 boated musky, especially if one was 48". But I'm just starting out, I'm happy when I land just one :P

Most of the time you'd be right. I'll always give right of way to a boat that is trolling if I can. However, the larger boat is not always in the right. We have been all rods down on erie before, and had a big charter pass us, and his lures crossed our lines. He was overtaking, and we where on a very slow troll. He lost a lure too it, and tough luck for him! OP, nice trip!

I actually had an American casting guide purposely circle my boat (closely) and set up one and a half casts downwind of us this summer on St Clair. We had been fishing the area for ten hours and he apparently thought he owned it cause it was a definite statement to us. We just shook our heads and moved a bit.

Looks like fun.

However, if I am casting an open water area on L St Clair and a troller expects me to move as he approaches - well that does not make any sense to me at all.

If he drove into your lines then that is a different story.

he was coming up from our rear left following us then decided to cut in for some unknown reason

and actually a lot of the guys casting set up well apart from each other so a boat trolling could get in between them with no headaches, he pointed it out that those guys knew what was up and were either regulars or other guides and they'd developed an understanding, hell the one guide Jason even got us over the radio to let us know he was moving for us when we came back around which was about 10 minutes ahead of where we currently were! good guy.

Edited by Lucas F