Lower Buckhorn Report (w/pics)

Dutch01

A friend and I went to Lower Buckhorn on Saturday and had a blast, so I figured a report was in order....

We arrived at 7am to pickup our rental boat at Sunrise Resort in the town of Buckhorn. The boat was a 14' aluminum with an 8-horse four stroke, and the price was very affordable. The owner was friendly and helpful, and I would definitely recommend renting there (and will be doing so again myself).

We started the day casting into weeds along shore, resulting in some chunky largemouth. When that bite died down a little we moved out into the lake, anchoring off of rocks and islands for 10-15 minutes at a time before moving on. We caught a nice mix of smallmouth and largemouth doing this. All in all we caught about 40 (ish) bass, and a few decent sized perch.

There were three lures that were really working for us;

1. Lindy Rig with a minnow was the hands down champion of the day.

2. Wacky rigged Senko's did well too.

3. A 1/4 oz Roadrunner jig tipped with a 3" Powerbait Ripple Shad caught a few too.

Pics:

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

It was a great day, and we will definitely be going back to Lower Buckhorn. The lake is really beautiful, and while we didn't catch any monsters we were busy and had fun.

Dutch

Edited by Dutch01

LB produces every time I go, made an annual trip there in July and caught a pile. The size recently in comparison to previous years has fallen off a bit. I think the hard winter might have something to do with it. But the consistency in regards to quantity is always there.

Thanks for the update.

I can't even imagine a 7 pound bass! That would definitely be a personal best for me - my current PB is a 5.5 pounder.

Thanks porkpie. Do you ever catch any walleye? I didn't really expect to fishing in broad daylight with all the sea doo's and water skiers, but I'm curious as we only caught bass...

Edited by Dutch01

Its always a topic of discussion about upper and lower buckhorn and confuses a lot of people. My thought is, that although lower buckhorn falls on a more northern latitude/longitude location then upper buckhorn, lower buckhorn is of lower elevation then upper buckhorn thus the dam that flows from upper buckhorn down into lower buckhorn, and if you wanted to travel from lower buckhorn to upper buckhorn you would take lock 31 "up" to upper buckhorn. Both are great fisheries. Would love to have seen that 7lber, that's truly a giant. I have seen a lot of people say check out our 7lber,and it ends up being a high 4 - mid 5.5 pounder. Some don't realize how big a 5.5 pounder is. However I don't doubt there in there, just rare thus why I would love to see one. Glad you had great trip Dutch01 your right its a beautiful area and great fishery if you have some more time on your next stay, venture over into stoney there are some tank smallies in there! Just be careful navigating, as stoney has claimed many a lower unit, stoney lake can live up to her name ! PS. don't give up on upper buckhorn I have found the fishing to be lights out good, getting three new PBs for the tri-lakes this year.

Thanks porkpie. Do you ever catch any walleye? I didn't really expect to fishing in broad daylight with all the sea doo's and water skiers, but I'm curious as we only caught bass...

Yes,

I primarily fish it for pickerel, and it has it's ups and downs, but enough ups that I keep going back. It is also an excellent musky fishery, and I have boated some beauties over the years!

Cees and Anya are great host and always smiling.

Have stayed with them many times in the past and have always been treated with respect.

If you guys make it out to the flats next time do a few passes and you will find a few 5 to 6 pounders