NF - Black and Yellow Argiope Spider Captures a Grasshopper (Video)

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

Here is a short video I shot this week, showing a female Black and Yellow Argiope spider capturing a grasshopper.

This small section of riverbank vegetation held more than 30 of these large spiders, with their webs strategically spun alongside and amongst grasses and flowers - which coughed up one insect after another.

"When prey becomes caught in the web, the spider may undulate the web back and forth to further trap the insect. When the prey is secure, the spider kills it by injecting its venom and then wraps the prey in a cocoon of silk for later consumption (typically 1–4 hours later)."

This was filmed in real time and has not been sped up. The quickness and agility of these insects is quite amazing!

(watch in 1080p HD for best quality)

Cheers,

Justin

Arkrisoner - Agreed. Definitely looks sped up but it is in fact not. You can also tell it isn't from the songbirds singing in the background.
I watched in amazement as these girls captured grasshoppers, flies, and bees. Their reaction time is incredible, and I guess it has to be to immobilize the prey before it breaks free from the web.

Cheers!

incredible. what a way to go though.

found one of these gals in my shed last year and freaked me the f out. never seen one before, thought i discovered some exotic species. took pics gallore and made sure to keep the kids away, only to find out later that they're harmless and pretty common. sweet video

Hey Dave,

Haha...yes, I am not much a fan myself, although I find their behaviours - and method of catching prey - purely fascinating. I was actually at this spot photographing butterflies. Was oblivious to these spiders until I took a closer look.
If I had to guess, bugs were landing in the webs of these females every few minutes. Decided to set up my tripod and captured this footage after setting the camera up on the third web. Was funny - while crouched down and filming, I looked over my shoulder to find another large female approx. 12 inches from me, as well as a third off to my side. Was slightly creepy! haha.

From what I have read about katydids, they have antennae 2 to 3 times the length of the body. Hard to tell in the video, but I don't think this critter does. Just assumed it was a regular grasshopper, as there were hundreds jumping in the scrub grass all around me. Tough to tell.

Many of the other webs had wasps and bees captured in them, as quite a few of the nest were set up in flowering vegetation. Was hoping to catch one of those stinging insects getting caught in the web on film!!

Cheers,

Justin