Hello from BC

jedimaster

Well after a grueling summer of moving across Canada I finally have time to drop in and say hi. Hope everyone's fishing season is going well. Last I heard the weather was a bit crummy in ontario. Outside of two maybe three mornings it's been 30 degrees and blue bird skies pretty near every day. Since moving I haven't had a chance to go fishing, just no time with all the moving stuff. I am hoping to get out after I get back from a business trip back to ontario. The sockeye run is massiv this year and I am dying to get out. Anyhow here is a video of some pictures from the summer and the road trip to BC... only one fish pic though. Hopefully lots of hunting and fishing pics to come. On a side note the flooding in Manitoba was astounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypIfsR-AVaI

Edited by jedimaster

Good ya made it safe

How'd ya like drivin thru those mtns?

Bought a "Nucks" jersey yet?

And remember ---try not to become one of those BC'rs that continually tell us folks in February in Ontario that your blossoms are out in BC :whistling:

Thanks for the weather. :) I was told the last 3 summers have been amazing. However there are lots of forest fires and provincial bans all over. We drove through a big forest fire in Kamloops. We thought it was low lying cloud cover. We were amazed when we stopped and talked to some locals. The truck was awesome. As for the mileage while hauling the big 23 footer well I was getting about 500km's between fills and putting in about 85 liters. so around 17 liters/100 km's. I actually had roughly the same range as the girlfriends mini all the way. I did notice that driving through the mountains I got much better mileage going up and down the hills alternating coasting and gasing it up the hills than I did through the prairies where it was dead flat. Maybe there is more corn oil in the gas in the prairies.

I do have some Jets parafanelia I just can't bring myself to by a nucks jersey or hat.

If anyone in the future browses across this thread and is going to make the drive, feel free to get in touch with me I can pass off some details of things that worked and didn't work for us during the trip. Hitting the road with 5 kids was trying at times but overall we all had an awesome time and its well worth it even if you aren't moving. So much awesome stuff to see. I wish we weren't on as much of a time table to have gotten here so we could have made a few more stops.

Its a great road trip, eh?

We did good on gas across the prairies. Going thru the mountains we sucked back fuel like crazy. Foot to the floor all the way up, and the engine brake screaming all the way down lol.

Looks like everyone had a great time! My brother is loving it out there!

I want to come back for some halibuut/ling fishing next suummer!

S.

Yah, it was weird. through the mountains The mini was getting terrible mileage and through the praries it was much better.

The truck on the other hand was seeking a bit on the flats towing the trailer and the truck loaded up. Probably about 6500 pounds worth of trailer, people and stuff. I think most of the time I was trying to find a speed that held me in 5th but it would push down to 4th on occasion. Going through the hills of Ontario and the mountains in BC I seemed to average about an extra 100km's per tank. I actually was holing 4th up all the hills and mountains and 8th going down with some breaks here and there to keep us in check.

Handling was great though, lots of breaks. Very impressed with the V6 and 8 speed combo on the ram. This was a true test of its durability and power. I didn't feel underpowered once through the entire trip and had no issues at all maintaining and accelerating if need be on even the longest and steepest mountain passes. If you are in the market I would consider the V6 to be well suited for towing the weight of an old water logged 23 foot travel trailer and a bed full of gear. I now have 50k on the truck and about a year and half of ownership and have been very satisfied. If I had the choice to buy it again or look elsewhere I would only consider the new diesel version but if that wasn't my cup of tea I would buy this truck again.