Fraser river at risk

glen

jerks should be dragged out of their offices and made to swim the length of the river. It's time for what some have called 'corporate capital punishment'. Companies committing heinous crimes such as this would immediately be taken away from those in charge and placed under government control. If they are found guilty, they would not be allowed to have their jobs back, and all normal compensation (retirement benefits, 'golden handshakes', etc.) would be forfeited. The company would continue to run, workers would still have jobs, and sooner or later a buyer would be found, or new management would move up the ladder.

I'm about 5 hrs north, very sad news....the pathetic part is there were warnings and lack of enforcement from ministry....operations should have been suspended for non compliance

I'm of a pro mining/resource industry opinion, aka pro jobs, but in an accountable and sustainable manner, what happened down there is horrible...I'd love to see their CEO drink a glass of that water, which he states is almost drinking water quality, after the solids are removed...

just watched video. I work in environmental spills (a 50,000L gasoline one right now) and my projects seem small compared to this.

The Federal reduction in the requirments for Environmental Assessments (EA's) for new 'projects' will precipitate more events like this. The whole point of a properly conducted EA is to identify and mitigate potential impacts like this. I can't understand why any company would prefer cheaping out on up-front EA's and risk company-bankrupting events like this.

just watched video. I work in environmental spills (a 50,000L gasoline one right now) and my projects seem small compared to this.

The Federal reduction in the requirments for Environmental Assessments (EA's) for new 'projects' will precipitate more events like this. The whole point of a properly conducted EA is to identify and mitigate potential impacts like this. I can't understand why any company would prefer cheaping out on up-front EA's and risk company-bankrupting events like this.

Again..When it's gone....it's gone for a very long time

Were the profits the shareholders got, and that the citizens of this area never seen the benefit from, worth the risk??

You gamble your landscape---and don't ask any questions

90% of the residents are pro mining, otherwise it's pack up your life to the lower mainland and find new jobs....most residents in the north are employed directly/indirectly through natural resource extraction...anybody that wants economic growth is pro mining, there are lots of examples of well run operations, but no doubt industry is greedy and ethics lacking

reported to have been 5 warnings prior, regarding miss use or over use...if that is actually true, 50% of the blame belongs to the ministry of environment for allowing them to continue operations...guess they don't like losing their taxation revenues from production....there should be a mandatory non compliance shut down order if actions do not occur within 30 days of the first warning....we need the gov't to stop screwing us over for corporate gain

how the breach occurred will take a while, sounds like it will be a legal nightmare to determine fault:

"The dam is an independently engineered structure that operated within design limits and specifications. Monitoring instruments and onsite personnel had no indication of an impending breach," the company said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mount-polley-mine-tailings-pond-dam-stable-imperial-metals-1.2727776

but hey, water is almost safe....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mount-polley-mine-tailings-water-very-close-to-drinking-quality-company-says-1.2727776